SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:33 AM
ivo
Slovakia
Joined Mar 2005
36 Posts
Piper PA-8 Skycycle - no documentation?

Hi everybody! First I have to say my English is "poor" so be patient... Once I have read on this discussion something about Piper PA/8 Skycycle. To be honest, I love Piper' s airplanes and this one is realy beautiful. These were the reasons, why did I decide to make it. That was in the end of last summer. And because I didn' t want a small model, I decided to make it in the scale 1:3 (not exactly), that meens the wingspan around 2m, exactly 2.2m. Now I've got ready rudder, elevator and almost fuselage which is made of laminate (sandwich polystyrene/fiber glass). In the article I've read here, there was a problem with passage between fuselage and wing. I've solved this problem with little construction between fuselage and a first rib. This construction should only help to keep the geometry of my model. And what was next? Well, then I bught two bottles of assembly foam and fill whole place between the first rib and fuselage. After cca 2 days you can cut and grind it with emery. It's great and easy to do!
But, now I've got another problem- how did the landing gear work? And what about the engine? I did not found any useful pictures or something like this. Somebody help me please! It would be ideal to know somebody who has this machine in full size and who could make hundreds of photos...
ivo is offline Find More Posts by ivo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2005, 11:54 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
the landing gear was similar to the chipmonk and Zlin ( oleo, fixed, and fwd of cg bolted to main spar) I'll try and get some pictures posted for you
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Apr 06, 2005, 01:18 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Ivo, you probably have these pictures that I found on the net already, but I'll post them anyway. Great choice, I like the little plane. I read that the fuselage was made up from a jettisonable fuel tank that fighters used during WW2 to extend their range.

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Apr 14, 2005, 06:37 PM
W. NY
Joined Jan 2002
216 Posts
plans

Model RC plans are available for this design in the states.
flicka5 is offline Find More Posts by flicka5
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Hello.Wow,old thread.Did you ever finish this model?
I am building 1/4 scale version of Skycycle, and am also looking for more documentation.Since there was only one of these airplanes ever built(excluding replicas) finding much in the way of photo's is tough.The prototype was destroyed in a hanger fire.
You might purchase a set of the Vintage R/C plans.(1/4 scale)They show a lot of detail.Also try EAA here in the states.They reportedly have a bit of documentation on this aircraft.

Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
Last edited by megawatt; Aug 31, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:24 PM
I'm Charged!
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Vintage R/C plans: http://www.vintagercplans.com/main.htm
EAA(experimental aircraft assc): http://www.eaa.org/
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:31 PM
I'm Charged!
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
These guy's might be able to help also: http://www.sky-tek.com/nx47y.html
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1 Posts
Old Skycycle Kit

Capitol Model Aircraft Co., of Brooklyn, NY, put out a balsa kit of the Skycycle. It was a control line model with a 30 inch wingspan. I don't know when the kit was produced, but the outline of the parts was printed on balsa sheets and you had to cut out the pieces yourself.
pat41 is offline Find More Posts by pat41
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
As I rememebr, there was a late 1950's edition of Air Progress that had some three views and something else on the Skycycle. They mentioned it was sort of One-off, and built from parts of another A/C.

As to Pat...

The Capitol line went to Sou. Calif. and then to Missouri now. Is advertised in M.A. every so often.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:50 AM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
414 Posts
Here is my dad's Skycycle u control, built, I suppose, from the Capitol kit. Probably taken in 1946-49. Powered by a Viking twin.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott