HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2002, 03:04 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
IPS motor breakin= Prop or no Prop?

I just ordered a S1 IPS gearbox and motor and was going to use 2 AAA batteries to break it in, Should i run it with or without the prop during breakin?

Thanks
Jay
jayboy is offline Find More Posts by jayboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2002, 03:08 PM
AeroMicro
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Sep 2001
713 Posts
Hello jayboy:

No prop.

GoEFlight is offline Find More Posts by GoEFlight
Old Mar 24, 2002, 05:48 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
No prop. You bet right.

Minimize the loading and run motor from Low voltage for initial starting will help motor contact points becmoe smooth and last longer.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Mar 24, 2002, 07:09 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
Mr. Lin

Should we be breaking in the IPS motors?
I didn't see anything in the assembly manual about breaking the motors!
What is the proper way to, if it is required?
Thanks
FLMODELER is offline Find More Posts by FLMODELER
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:28 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
It's an option which can do by yourself. However, witout breaking, the DXC carbon brush motor service duration about 3 time longer than old black endbell DX motor.

With heat-sink also help run cooler. Why not?
Old Mar 25, 2002, 05:39 AM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies, I will run it with no prop on just 2 AAA's

I have never thanked GWS4CEO but i would like to thank you now for the great products and Thanks for making it possible for guys that are on a budget to enjoy eflight =) I think that if it was not for your great prices i would not be in this wonderful hobby =)

Thanks
Jay
jayboy is offline Find More Posts by jayboy
Old Mar 25, 2002, 05:47 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi Jayboy. Sorry I'm late reading this. 1/2 hr on 1 cell with small drop of oil at the front motor bushing. Remove the 2 moro screws and push motor back till it clears the spur gear. You don't want to run 2 cells for more than 10 min. A slower rpm will suffice. The object is to shape the brushes from -I0I- to -(o)- without too much wear. This will double the brush life in most cases. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Mar 25, 2002, 08:26 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
now, i'm confused (nothing abnormal about that).

i've seen threads (with photos) of breaking in motors submerged in water. I've also seen comments about not running motors on a static basis (because of cooling problems).

so....?
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Mar 25, 2002, 08:33 AM
nothingtosay
Vaasa, Finland
Joined Oct 2001
122 Posts
Water break in.

Just take a glass of water and put the motor in it (use only one cell!). Let it run as long as the cell is empty, then it's finished! And you'll have a longer lasting motor! Oh yeah BTW, you should spray some "lube" that will take the water out of the motor, then put little drop of oil into the BB's! Then it's finished!
Pekka Mattila is offline Find More Posts by Pekka Mattila
Old Mar 25, 2002, 09:14 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
ronnath,

DON'T use the water break in on the GWS IPS motors.
They have a closed design and any water that gets in will stay in. Some people use the water break in on speed 400 and such motors. They are full of holes. The water goes in and out.

The only "static running" problems come when you have a prop attached. This causes the motor to operate under a full load with no cooling coming from moving through the air and the prop is stalled which also increases the load and consequent overheating.

Follow the suggestions of breaking it on one 1 1/2 volt cell. I use 2 because it's convenient. I rigged up a flashlight with leads.

IMO all you need to do is remove the prop. I don't believe having the gears hooked up during break in causes any problems.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Mar 25, 2002, 09:38 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
Pekka and Red: your quick responses have helped me understand this stuff better. thanks.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:01 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Dear Pekka,

I will not recommance let IPS motor breaking under water. Since the water and moisture are not easy to come out after that.

If runs a 370 or larger motor with open holes that is great ideal. We use for years.

But becareful not to apply to the motor similar to IPS. During last year flood, thousands IPS motor dead, sunk underwater for 5 days! Got rusted!
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:27 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GWS4CEO
Dear Pekka,

I will not recommance let IPS motor breaking under water. Since the water and moisture are not easy to come out after that.

If runs a 370 or larger motor with open holes that is great ideal. We use for years.

But becareful not to apply to the motor similar to IPS. During last year flood, thousands IPS motor dead, sunk underwater for 5 days! Got rusted!
Hi GWS4CEO What ??ONLY 5 days.... In Rust We Trust.....How much $ for 100? If you still have them. Anyway....just to remind to read my previous post and see if it makes sense to you. I have many hours of IPS since introduced use and abuse, always my favorite class with also 180. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:56 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Dear Bleriot,

The motors under flood can not use, because of chemical of those water made killed. That's why first lot of EDF50 and many IPS shipments weredelayed.

But after Dec. 2001, GWS recovered gradually, so many back orders were filled.

At this moment, our workers overtime every evening till 8:30 PM. and I reply Ezone to get customer's understanding till now nearly 2:00 AM, actually, I sleep almost naerly 5:00 AM. Waeked up again 7:30 to check is there any unhappy words from Bleriot again?

Forgive me, I can't do like this every night! We have 16 hours time zone different, try my best.