HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2005, 10:27 PM
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
WTB Power supply for CNC Foam Cutter

I am looking for a power supply to heat the wire on my CNC foam cutter, something in the 24V 8A range, any ideas or does anyone have anything?
FHHOBBIES is offline Find More Posts by FHHOBBIES
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:45 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Your probably going to have to build it (I did) there is a Yahoo Group for CNC Hotwire Cutters and the schematics to build what you want are in the "Files" section I believe.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Mar 08, 2005, 08:52 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
http://www.compufoil.com/product_fc.html
"Thermal Generator Description:
NEW! 60 % increase in power speeds you through those long wing cuts. Engineered specially to power T.370 hot wire for optimum temperature control. Simply center control knob with bow setting for automatic 212/225 degree wire temperature. 120 volt. Takes the "waste" out of foam cutting."
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Mar 08, 2005, 01:39 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
WOW, that price is NUTS!

If you going for computer controlled heat via the cnc software, you must use a D/C powered cutting current. They dont state if their power supply puts out D/C or A/C. Foam will cut fine with either, but A/C will fry the cutting board.

Glenn
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:22 PM
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
Yep I need DC power as it is computer controlled heat. I saw the circuit, I actually have a 24V transformer and bridge rectifer but my local electronics place does not have a 10,000uf 40vdc capacitor and they never even heard of a 2K 1W Bleed resistor! If I could get these two parts I would be set.
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:31 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
I got mine at an electronic supply place in Atlanta, but I am sure that www.mouser.com would have the rest of the stuff.

The resistor is just a regular old cheapie, you can get them at Radio Shack, it's not a "bleed resistor" thats just what it does, it slowly "bleeds" the power away from the capacitor after you turn the power off. That way if you have a little safety from touching the cap and taking a nasty shock.

The cap you can get bigger, but not smaller.

Glenn
Old Mar 08, 2005, 08:00 PM
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
Great, I will look into it! Thanks.