Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 07, 2005, 07:50 PM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
The Dauntless's Progress

First few shots of construction. Laying out the Sheers and setting the Keel.
This boat is starting off easily enough. I hope it continues that way.

Scott
ThrustTugKeith is offline Find More Posts by ThrustTugKeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2005, 11:22 AM
SEC
Damn you gravity!
Gladstone, Oregon
Joined Jan 2005
149 Posts
Boy, does that bring back memories! I built the Dauntless about 18 years ago, while I was in collage. My first boat, and first wood kit, so it was a bit challenging, especially with the poor instructions that were included. It was a satisfying build. Someday maybe I'll upgrade from the twin 12V Dumas motors. They work well, but slightly more speed would be nice

Enjoy!
SEC is offline Find More Posts by SEC
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:15 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
OOOPs!!
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:17 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
This build will be of intress to me, I've been looking for the dauntless in all the wrong places, when I do find it they have a price that makes my bank manager point his finger at me with a sturn look, the boat it self isn't that bad it's the hardwear that goes with it, But I'm going to get it any way. At 49 1/2" It should look good in the water, and the fact that it's so large it should build very easy, ( no cramped areas to work in and lots of room for the electronics ). Have fun, I will.LOL
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:28 PM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
The Dauntless's Progress

I got mine from Tower Hobbies directly for $129.00 US . The running gear is pricey from them at $74.00 US . I also agree that the instructions ARE a little poor. I guess you have to read them twice.

Scott
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:38 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I found it at MACK Products for 123.50, US but the hard wear is 160.50 US. I think I'll try tower hobbies, thanks for the info.
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:54 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,543 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what type of boat is the dauntless It looks like some kind of cutter.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 08, 2005, 09:59 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
From the Dumas website:
Quote:
In 1946 Sparkman and Stevens designed a 66 ft. commuter boat for the express purpose of carrying commuters down the Hudson River into New York. What a glorious way to beat the traffic. These commuters were used by their owners as everyday transportation to and from work, and for pleasure trips to their favorite spots. The most famous of these commuters was the Dauntless. The Dauntless was owned by a prominent New York family.
Quote:
I got mine from Tower Hobbies directly for $129.00 US . The running gear is pricey from them at $74.00 US .
Quote:
I found it at MACK Products for 123.50, US but the hard wear is 160.50 US.
The Dumas running hardware is $74 from Tower Hobbies. The MACK running hardware is $160. There is a big difference in the quality of the two running hardware packages. Stuffing boxes: Dumas has two oil lite bearings and stuffing box must be packed with grease or oil; MACK has 3 oil lit bearings and an O-ring seal, just put a little grease on the shaft when you slide the shaft into the box - no need to pack it with grease. Dumas running hardware is the second picture. Examples of MACK hardware are below that. You can check out the MACK hardware at the Toledo Show on April 1-3, they usually have "show specials" with cheaper prices.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Mar 08, 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2005, 09:55 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
thanks CG for the info.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:02 PM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
The Dauntlesses Progress

Heres some shots of progress. I have a question for you fellows who have more exp. in this kind of modelling , though.
The piece I've shown holding in my hand is called " T-1 " in the instructions. I need help in placing this part. I figure it MUST go straight up and down as I've shown in the Transom View. When looking at the build sheet, I just cant figure this one. Anyone take a stab at this???
I'm about ready to start the lower front planking.The nose is gonna be interesting, as they say to basically stave it like a Barrel.

Thanxs, in advance...Scott
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:28 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
From looking at the photo pf the plans, there must be 2 pieces called T-1. They are installed on the aft side of the last frame, from the keel out to the chine. They are essentially a doubler for the 1/8" bottom planking at rhe transom - making it 1/4" thick. The extra thickness gives more surface area to glue the transom to,
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:37 PM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
The Dauntless's Progress

Thank YOU!!!
I couldnt grasp WHERE they wanted it.

Scott
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:26 PM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
The Dauntless's Progress

A couple more of the first planking going on the bow.
I found these funky little clamps at the local Canadin Tire on sale today...just HAD to buy some.
Scott
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
I see a plan in your flaw
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
Hello to all,

Scott the boat is looking good. The Dumas directions fail to tell you that you will go thru about 2 kegs of beer before the boat is finished. The directions are vague and found myself changing many things. I am at about 90% done with mine. Progress was slow since I have a couple other Dumas boats I am working on. CG Bob is right on with his comment about the running gear. You will spend alot of time on this boat so do it right. I have installed the MACK runners and rudder stuffing boxes. I went with the Raobesch props and stuffing boxes. 2 geared Astro's as well as 2 Astro speed controls. Still working on windows, railings, lights, radar tower etc. etc. Marty

CG Bob.... are you in Euclid?

TEST PIC.
pusar is offline Find More Posts by pusar
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:15 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
Quote:
CG Bob.... are you in Euclid?
Yes, about 12 miles east of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.