HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2005, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1 Posts
O.S. .61fx or Super Tigre G-61 ABC

I am working on my first kit - a Great Planes PT 60. I was looking at getting the O.S. .61fx. Then I noticed the Super Tigre G-61 ABC was $70 cheaper. I have no idea what the difference is between the two. Can anyone throw me some help? Below are the links. thanks

O.S. .61 fx

Super Tigre G-61 ABC
dannyboy43 is offline Find More Posts by dannyboy43
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2005, 04:38 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Given the choice, I'd have both. I have OS and ST engines and would not like to choose. However if you are not very experienced with operating glows I would go for the OS - purely based on the slightly more careful setting up needed with STs. This is based on the posts I've seen where STs seem to cause newcomers a little more trouble.

They both last forever, have good spares availability (in the unlikely chance you might need some) and are very predictable. I'd put them both in the 'quality engine' category. Both have an enormously long pedigree of development with vast numbers of their ranges and variants sold.

They both have a strong following so not everyone will agree.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:40 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
Repeat after me....Super Tigre!
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 08, 2005, 01:16 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
There was I being a bit cautious and downunder says what I was reluctant to say. Yes - ST - set it up as the instructions say and you'll be OK.

Arm twisted up my back - Super Tigre!
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Mar 08, 2005, 01:39 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I bought the OS 61fx new. Sold it. My thoughts are=

Pro: Well designed & machined. Finished well. Easy to start / adjust / break in. Quiet

Con: Not very powerful compared to some other engines of the same size I had.

If I had the choice I would try the Super Tiger.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1