HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2005, 11:56 AM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Im making CNC wing molds !!

Hey guys........

I recently got out my planes (2M gliders) after an almost 2 year 'no fly' time.... Anyway, I want to build my own discus launch HLG......

I have a cnc router that I built so I thought Id just cut out a female mold and vac bag some hollow carbon skin wings.......

I am looking for ANY suggestions on the project.... By the way I have scratch built a few planes that i cut foam cores for the wings....

Im looking at a 60 inch span ? Maybe a SD 7080 ? MH32 ?
eightwgt is offline Find More Posts by eightwgt
Last edited by eightwgt; Mar 08, 2005 at 05:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2005, 04:40 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
No replies ??? Geee I thought Id light up a storm on this one ??

How about this - anyone that wants to help with the project design gets a free hollow molded wing from the mold I make ???

I really want to buy a moldie but figure why not make my own considering the equipment I have and at least if I destroy a DLG learning I can make a new wing...

I have :

Rhino 3-d Software

CNC Machine
Spray Equipment
Vac bag equip ( Im a boatbuilder)

So why not... draw up a wing for a DLG - cut a mold - vac bag a hollow wing

I attached a pic of a micro HLG I made 3 years ago. Its a foam core balsa sheeted wing with a boom and pod. I made the pod also and still have the mold I used..... I named it the Penguin
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:18 PM
Joined Jul 2004
163 Posts
Hey, im doing the same ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3323187
extreme is offline Find More Posts by extreme
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:19 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,123 Posts
Im an ex CNC programer and mold maker. Now I teach CAD/CAM

What kind of help do you need. I have MasterCAM and SmartCAM to generate the code.

AutoCAD and Rhino for the CAD files.

Tony Shires
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:23 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
EXTREME

Lets combine the effort........ What ya think ?? By the way - I like you have no interest in producing kits for sale... just a couple for myself ( I am way to busy)

Let me know....
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:25 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
TSHIRES

I have Rhino 3-d, and a program called Visual Mill that I produce my GCode / toolpaths with

I need help on the 3-d Wing / airfoil.... Im not the greatest with the Rhino Software yet.. I only designed and cut boat parts so far
Old Mar 08, 2005, 05:30 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Here is my CNC by the way
Old Mar 08, 2005, 06:32 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,284 Posts
Nice router, eightwgt--will you be casting molds around a CNC'd male plug or can your router handle Aluminum?
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Mar 08, 2005, 06:38 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
I will actually mill out the female mold in plywood perhaps but cut it about say 1/16" too deep. Then I will brush on machinable epoxy (a Devcon product with metal dust in it) and re-machine the wing molds (top and bottom half)

Thats it...... It will be plenty accurate enough....

No need for aluminium... Im just making some wings for fun and to save some $$ that way when I crash whil learning to discus launch I can just mold a new wing instead of fussin over my broken 300 DLG !!

=)
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:05 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,284 Posts
Cool--I'll have to try that. One suggestion: Mill a slot just past the trailing edge so that you have a vertical wall to trim the skins. Then when you join the halves in the mold it won't be held open by the layup.
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:17 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,123 Posts
Nice CNC Router! Also nice Strip canoe! Im building an ultralite lapstrake canoe myself. With a setup like that itll be easy, looks like you have pleny of power and travel. What are your machine travel limits, XYZ? Will it machine accuratley in all three dimensions simultaenously?

Looking forward to seeing it happen.
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:31 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Cut area is 97" X 48.5" X 8"

Yes it will cut accrate in all 3 dimentions at the same time...

Cut speed is about 250 inches a minute cutting foam....but I never cut that fast to save wear on the machine. Its very accurate also... more so than I could ever be by hand.
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:46 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined May 2000
602 Posts
eightwgt,
I'd advise against the SD7080 or the MH32. These are decent airfoils, but the flow over them will tend to separate off the surface for low speeds and shorter chord lengths. The current state of the art for airfoils seems to be the AG455ct series:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...t-airfoils.htm

Also, do study the SuperGee 2 design on that same site. I myself like being creative and coming up with my own designs, but in this case, you would want to identify a good reason to depart much from the SuperGee design.

One idea might be to make the wing with a smoothly curved planform with the same basic dimensions, although I have no idea how difficult this would be to make with a CNC router.

Good luck,
Chung
chlee is offline Find More Posts by chlee
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:50 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Chung

I plan on following the SuperGee II plan basically...... I like to create but I want to build a good plane without too much doubt to its performance..... I 'll play later...

When I posted I was not aware of the SG II plans........ Now I just gotta get the wings drawn in a 3D surface / solid so I can machine a mold......
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:53 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlee
eightwgt,
One idea might be to make the wing with a smoothly curved planform with the same basic dimensions, although I have no idea how difficult this would be to make with a CNC router.

Good luck,
Chung
It's easy after you draw it in 3D...... I can cut it in a day.....