Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Fiddler's Green just added a great looking C-47 on skis. It has a red and white paint job that looks very nice. The page also has some other nice looking paint scheme's:

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/airc...n/skytrain.php

...and the R4D version is being given away as a free download. I hope to try a full fuse version of Gene's design at some point in the future.
badaltitude is offline Find More Posts by badaltitude
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:52 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
The DC-3 Hangar

I just found the DC-3 Hanger. It is a great site for everything related to this plane, including some fabulous technical drawings and plans for a 600 speed model.

http://www.douglasdc3.com/index.html
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:12 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Great looking plane, i plan on building one once i get some more stick time with my aileron plane.

Anyone have a idea how to make the wing removable? I kind of doubt it will fit in my Mazda with the wing in place.
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Apr 13, 2007, 07:01 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
wd: You could split the fuse below the wing, and like shown in the thread about the packable 3D plane... sorry, I didn't bookmark it. They used the plastic screw ancors and lite ply for a bolt-on wing and tail... or the old skewers and rubber bands, of course.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:31 AM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
I'll have a look around an see if i can find that post.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:15 AM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Would anyone out there be able to resize the plans for DC3?
I have no clue how to do it.

All i do know is that if it were a 30 inch wingspan instead of 48 I wouldn't have to take it apart to fit in in the backseat of the car.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 05:31 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Web , if you re-size it , it wouldn't be such a GOOD flier... This is one of the nicest planes for just crusin' around!!! I'd go for the removable wing thingie' ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:22 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
webdragon,

I think I could do that for you, but Glen is right, the plane needs its low wing loading. PM me if you can't get the removable wing to work and I'll give it a go. I don't want to post a smaller version.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Apr 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Gosh , we've been making removable wings for many years .... here's a simple way to do it ...Make a couple foam doublers under the crutch in the wing area.. glued to the fuse... a couple dowels through all three layers for anchoring the rubber bands, one in front of the wing (slightly) and one in the rear... a couple cut down tongue depressor sticks glued across the layers where the wing joins supports the wing laterally ... be sure to glue some skewers to the LE and TE where the rubber bands cross, so you don't dent the foam ...No ailerons to fool with so it should be EASY !!!That's one way ... probably the way I'd do it .... Hope that helps ...
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:55 AM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Gosh , we've been making removable wings for many years .... here's a simple way to do it ...Make a couple foam doublers under the crutch in the wing area.. glued to the fuse... a couple dowels through all three layers for anchoring the rubber bands, one in front of the wing (slightly) and one in the rear... a couple cut down tongue depressor sticks glued across the layers where the wing joins supports the wing laterally ... be sure to glue some skewers to the LE and TE where the rubber bands cross, so you don't dent the foam ...No ailerons to fool with so it should be EASY !!!That's one way ... probably the way I'd do it .... Hope that helps ...

See, this is why i come to you people. Your old pro's at building with foam.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
My father asked me a question this morning that i hadn't thought of.
Does the wing itself have to be one piece?

What about using 3 brass tubes glued in place on the fuselage, One for the main spar and the other two at the leading an trailing edges to keep everything aligned while some rubber bands hold them onto the body?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:18 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Should work. It worked for the PicoStik / LiteStik
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:12 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Most of the bending force of the wing is on those brass tubes(middle of the wing), make sure they're strong enough ...that's a big wing ...
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:02 PM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
During the slow times at work I've been doing some planning for my DC3 build.

I have pretty much decided on using the 2 piece wing design but i don't really trust brass tubing so i have been looking at sections of aluminum arrow shaft to replace it.
If it doesn't add too much weight I may be using some foam safe glue to clad the wing area of the fuselage with some light plywood.

I know this plane was designed to be a mild plane so i have to keep pulling myself away from wanting to put bigger motors.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 06:39 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
...or adding too much weight...