Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:03 AM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Here's the video shot in the Soccer Zone Saturday night:
Nice Gene, looks like a real floater, just can't beat a big bird in my opinion. Must be great to be able to fly indoors too and not be at the whim of the wind Gods...

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:42 AM
Joined Jul 2004
510 Posts
I'wd need a whole bunch more space! Nice plane!
jimkirley is offline Find More Posts by jimkirley
Old Mar 29, 2005, 07:23 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
It IS A Floater !!!! This is so much FUN , twins in the past (especially ic ) were a really BIG PITA... It's so simple now , and quiet too ... even for a twin ....and none of that engine out silliness(no fun )... Gene , this one is really Great!!!!!!!Thanks again ....

Could the HS be a "touch" bigger ???? You know me !!! hahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:43 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
A little paint...

and a few decals from a lifelike airliner .... looks pretty good eh ? , looks even better in the morning sun .... circling the field .... Great Plane ,flies great , stable , relaxing , just darn Cool ... Thanks Gene!!!!!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 06:22 PM
EMBRAER 145
Joined Jul 2004
191 Posts
do you still have decal left over ?
embraer 145 is offline Find More Posts by embraer 145
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:28 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Looks great, Glen! It sure is a stable relaxing plane. I had the C-47 out at the club field last weekend. Wanted to see if I could ROG from the grass strip. No, but underhand launch was fine, and scale landings were cool Like landing in a corn field, knowing darn well you aren't going to be able to take off, but having little choice
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 18, 2005, 06:58 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
emb , got the windows and stripes left ....want em ?
Gene ... been flying it first in the calm morning air , first rays of the sun , gleaming golden on the fuselage ...slow turns across the horizon ... looks real ....!!!!!!! and on 280's yet , they seem to favor DD ???
Old Apr 18, 2005, 07:39 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yea, they do seem better matched to DD, although I never had any complaints when I ran them geared at 3-4a... Like a -1S ratio with a 10x8 on 2s...

I have run this plane on 3s just be careful with the wing! Don't want those tips to touch!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 06:21 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Ya' know , it's amazingly fast as it is , on 2 cells , I fly it around just above off ...hahahahaha scale speed ...
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
510 Posts
Ok, GPW, this one makes the grade as an airplane that flies well, when built to spec, we should make a list of "must build", there are so many plans, but very few that fly really well. That will save the ocassional hobbiest time and frustration. I'll nominate Gene's Blu-DC3 as #1---Next?
jimkirley is offline Find More Posts by jimkirley
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:57 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Jim, I think your idea about a "FFF Must Build" thread is a great idea! A thread of the BEST flying aircraft that can be built with the various types of foam (bluecor, depron, foam board, etc.) that we usually use. Now the big question, who is going to start it (gpw, Gene Bond, someone...anyone)?
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:19 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
The DC-3 IS a must build , if you like relaxed flying and great looks in the air ....great idea about the must build , but so many planes have been presented , that fly really well(depending on piloting skills of course ) the list would be ambitious , to say the least .... so many planes , so few radios ... hahahaha somebody do it , I've already got too much on my plate .... I'd nominate the 3D ALBATROSS series .... SUPER FLYERS , if yer ' good enough ....

I basically ascribe to the theory that you need 3 different types of planes to bring to the field ....
1. a Sport plane , a slow floater , a DC-3 , something relaxing and easy to fly ...a SLB , a Bird Dog , Fat Beech ,Dome-Blu ,Stealth Sport ,Porky Piper or perhaps a powered glider ....
2. an AEROBATIC PLANE , the 3D or VTOL Albatross , an "and Wattnot " or any of the 3D planes presented here ...
3. A Fast Plane .... something like the Blue Albacorde , Sr-71, f-22, Su27, JSW, ewo's f-15 (one of my favorites )... something to fulfill the "need for speed "

with 3 planes you can have a "full" and satisfying flying day .... and a couple spares don't hurt either ... hahahaha and one can be charging , one cooling off , and one flying ....
Last edited by gpw; Apr 20, 2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 08:21 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Agreed!

Current 3 favorite DPF's:

C-47
BluRipper
SloFly 3D Bipe

Who knows what'll replace what next week, though
Old Apr 20, 2005, 09:08 AM
BobM71
Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2004
32 Posts
Finished my DC-3 last night. Not nearly as pretty as Gene's and GPW's. Especially since I crunched the nose a little doing glide test. But, it is on the heavy side...16 oz. The only servos I had handy were HS-81s. Receiver is HS-555 and the battery is a 8 cell pack that came in a GWS flight set. I wonder if it is going to fly...or just fry the motors. Guess I will just have to find out the hard way.
BobM1200 is offline Find More Posts by BobM1200
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:28 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Ahhhh... 16oz should be no big deal for all the wing on this thing. May need to go up to 6x3 or 5x4.3 props, though....