SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:35 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I maidened the Blu-C47 tonight at our indoor event

Not enough o's in smooooooooooooooth! Perfect is the best I can say Flys like a SlowStick at 1/2 throttle, and zooms pretty good at full throttle. Doesn't mind being horsed around a little either, when you get in trouble, like a tight corner. I just loved it!

Then, just for the heck of it, I put in a 3s1200 pack

Holy Crap, it was fun! I did some hot laps, and tested the wing brace extensively. It would bend, but didn't break!

Super-smooth landings power-off, too.

It's a winner!

I'll spend some time on the plans documenting the landing gear and other details soon.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:50 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
OK!!! My table is cleared off and I'm ready to build ...one little problem , can't seem to get(print ) the middle of the plans ??? is it me ? probably !!! It sure is a Cool design!!!!!!!! ... and also the first plane I ever flew in ... Military ... the real one is a smooth flyer too ...Once again , a BIG THANKS !!!! Pics soon!!!
ps ...lots of uses for that blue masking tape , nice if it came in black , the green color MT is a little "sick" for me ...hahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:37 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Hmmm... I just checked again, and they came up fine.

I really didn't change anything from the initial notes.

Heavy Skewers for spar, brass tube joiner, slotted, hot glued and taped. Also, a strip of strapping tape on the bottom. All edges 'heat rounded' with the heat-gun... You just run along them with the gun, melting the squared edge back... Easier than sanding or taping. Toughens and rounds the edges. Simple, cheap and lightweight! Themper the wing before spar and taping.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 06:40 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
Sorry , it was me ...incorrect page setUP... got everything now ...temps done ...Foam and new blades ready ....Starting as soon as I get off here blabbing with you guys ...hahahahaha
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:19 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Tried it outside today in a little wind (maybe 8mph the first time on 2s, and maybe 3mph on 2s and 3s the second time) and am happy to report that it flies like a dream. Absolutely the right decision to skip the ailerons. The rudder is just fine. Even got a loop in, although I puckered a little watching the wings try to touch 48" is a long span for a couple of poor skewers, but looks are important, so I didn't brace from the top on this one. It really doesn't need it... I mean it's a cargo/passenger plane for God's sake!
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:36 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
Yeah , but will it HOVER???????? hahahahahaha
and about that landing gear setUP????????
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:58 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
On my way to the club meeting, but should be able to update the plans before bed...

Looks like you are well on the way!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 07:26 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
Gonna' put the LG on and give it a nice light coat of Navy gray ,and some decorations ....built according to the plans so far .... Plan on REM also , how much dihedral are you using .... ???I've got 2" each tip .....?????used rolled paper tubes for motor mounts .... soaked with ca , the index card stock becomes quite durable ...
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:39 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I used a 2x4 (3.5") for the dihedral.

I've updated the drawings with notes and clarifications as well as the landing gear which is attatched here...

Have at it!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:07 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
My Dumb??? Was I supposed to put the crutch piece of the nacelle on Top of the wing ????mine went below ????? alsocame out with a few degrees of downthrust , so I cut and glued to correct it ...must be my building , I'll get it right on the second one (3D brushless ) ....... Fun plane to build!!!!

Thanks for the gear drawing , that is very clear .....but I must admit , I feel tempted to put a couple of "invisible " (painted black/Sharpie pen) bamboo skewers from the fuse (belly) to the gear location on the wing ...probably overkill , after all, it is a "cargo" plane.......
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:14 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
Ya' know what ??? (here we go again ) Another good model to build in this style would be any of the Tri-motors (Ju or Ford) .... with just one central motor and two freewheel props on the outside ..... but we know that someone will hook UP 3 motors ....schmaybe' with DT on the outside ones .....???hmmm???
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:38 AM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Funny you should mention it GPW, but I was just reading about Ford Trimotors yesterday and was thinking it would be a good one to foamify, very distinctive profile. Hadn't thought about a single motor & 2 free wheeling props, that makes it even easier.

I think that Gene's C47 would look good towing a free-flight WWII troup glider...

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:05 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
There ya' go !!!! That'd work , a Waco perhaps ???
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:39 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Huh, and I was thinking a C-130 Just need to figure out what motors to use. I want to keep it cheap, after all! But 4 motors... hehehehe (down, boy!)

Ya know, the way the engines are mounted on a B-52....? Kinda almost just looks like 4....
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:16 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Cool project!

I just happen to have a couple of 300's and 5x3 props left out of a C130-CargoTrans i fitted with 4 small race car motors instead of stock dual EPD.

Duh!!! silly me... I already have a DC-3

Now what i really need is a Moskito
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber