HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2005, 07:07 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Yes , this design is remarkably efficient ,not much power needed and besides flying slow looks scale ...in the air you can't tell the difference from the real thing ....
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2005, 06:44 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Ok then I will continue with what I have, this should be interesting. Gene you'll be glad to know that your plane is the first twin that I have done or rather am attempting to do. Now to find the wire diagram for the motors.

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Jun 08, 2005, 08:46 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Say guys one more thing, and I know somewhere you all have covered it before but how do you get that big a$$ hole in the prop to fit on the 250's teeny shaft. I know I feel stupid having to ask but hey my 3x3's push right on but not the 4x4's. Pictures would help. besides I like the pictures.

thanks again

TM
Old Jun 08, 2005, 11:26 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
You need some type of adapter. Here's a couple different ones:
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/prope...LargeImage=yes
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/alu...rs_2972759.htm

Motor shaft is 2mm, prop bore is 4mm.

Fuel tubing works but is a bear to squeeze into bore, and can have trouble holding the force with high thrust. A little CA usually solves that, though. The steel GWS adapters are not my favorite. I've had poor luck in balance and setscrew thread integrity. The collet adapters are best. The spinner adapters look best but have some thrust and temperature limits, as do the rubber sleve adapters.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jun 09, 2005, 07:38 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
I get my collet type adapters at aero micro...won't use GWS junky adapters , strip too easily ...er, Mr Linn......
Old Jun 09, 2005, 08:21 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Hey thanks guys I think I'm gonna go with the alum. collet ones they look the best.

TM
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:07 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Flew in the wind this afternoon. It was fun doing STOL touch and goes. Until I did a short take off run in front of a tree. I decided I could get out of it with a stall turn, which I've done before, big and graceful, but I didn't have the altitude I had before. I dropped it on it's nose from 10 feet. Probably needed 20. Oh, well, another nose job tonight.

Sure love this plane. My brother is coming over next week to do a build. I may build along and do an airline paint scheme.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:35 AM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
First nights progress on the DC-3

When I was a lad, the DC-3 was the most wonderous thing to see. We used to ride our bikes out to the airport when one was scheduled to come to our town... And I used to get my "dope" filled into jam jars from bulk 50 gal containers at that same Rochester MN airport.

Anyway. I got all the pieces cut out of fanfold. And I bent the airfoil into the wings. I thought the process through and came up with this pattern.(See pic.) It's the TLAR computation, you know. It is what I interpreted from the msgs. in this thread.

Then I tried the "tempering" process with my heat gun. That is fabulous! I wish I had known about this before! I did sand a small radius prior to the heating tho - without the rounded edge, it seemed to raise "a sharp edge" which I thought it would be better without.

I did increase the stab area to 30% of the wing, which seems like an OK thing to do. I use Frank Zaic notions for the area of the stab to the wing ratio for various wing sizes of model airplanes - it has worked out well. (Model Glider Design; by Fank Zaic, Copyright 1944)

Anyway, having fun and it is going well - thanks again for the design and for the plan.

Richard in Las Vegas
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:06 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sounds good, Rick. How much bigger is the tail, now?

Looking forward to progress reports
Old Jun 19, 2005, 06:38 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Bigger stab ???? I guess next they'll want a DC-3 on floats ....hahahahaha...Hydro ...hahahahahaha.. IT IS a FUN Plane !!!!
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:45 PM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
Gene: my stab info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Sounds good, Rick. How much bigger is the tail, now?
Looking forward to progress reports
I increased the stab span from 13 to 15 1/2 inches. Chord stays the same.

Got the wings glued together with Probond, and am fussing with whether to use skewer sticks which I have or carbon which I don't. I checked the feel of the 3mm carbon tube, and it just doesn't have enough stiffness - even less than the heavy skewer. I noted the bamboo skewers are stiffer than hardwood dowel of near the same diameter.... very rough estimate, but I was surprised, nevertheless.

And a wonderful pic of a stabilizer...

Richard
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:56 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yea, I wish we could easily find 3' (or even 2') lengths of the heavy skewers

I just used them, and a brass tube joiner, and I get some wing flap at 5mph+ wind or loops, but not that bad.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:04 PM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
Dear GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
and a few decals from a lifelike airliner .... looks pretty good eh ? , looks even better in the morning sun .... circling the field .... Great Plane ,flies great , stable , relaxing , just darn Cool ... Thanks Gene!!!!!
What a great choice for decor! American airlines logos seem so appropriate. I love that look - and, even better, it takes only a little paint - for lightness.

Would you share how and with what you achieved that decal job? I have so much to learn!

I'm asking now before I start gluing the beast together and make it more diffucult to paint....

Thanks in advance, Richard
Old Jun 20, 2005, 01:54 AM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
The Pro's favorite glue for Blucore

So far I have used Elmers Carpenters glue - pretty clean and nice to use but tends to shrink and leave voids - mostly that's not a good thing... looks kind of crappy too. But it does have it's places.

I have used ProBond, which expands and fills voids, but is really a pain to use; messy, slippery, runny, and really hard to trim afterwards. And its difficult to hold the parts in place when bonding. Slow drying and cleanup is difficult. Toughest stuff around....

I have had only medium luck with hotmelt - not bad for fillet joints but heavy and I don't know how to do a long joint...

This thread seems to have folks with lots of experience using Blucore, and I would like to pose the question: What is your favorite adhesive?

At the moment I am ready to glue the DC-3 cruciform fuselage parts together, what would you use for that?

Gluing the wing in place in it's slot... what would you use there?

Suggestions for other locations?

Sorry to be such a tyro, but it would be so nice not to have to continue to make mistakes in order to eventually find out what is a "good thing".

Old Jun 20, 2005, 02:34 AM
Joplin, Mo.
Joined Feb 2004
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick121x
So far I have used Elmers Carpenters glue - pretty clean and nice to use but tends to shrink and leave voids - mostly that's not a good thing... looks kind of crappy too. But it does have it's places.

I have used ProBond, which expands and fills voids, but is really a pain to use; messy, slippery, runny, and really hard to trim afterwards. And its difficult to hold the parts in place when bonding. Slow drying and cleanup is difficult. Toughest stuff around....

I have had only medium luck with hotmelt - not bad for fillet joints but heavy and I don't know how to do a long joint...

This thread seems to have folks with lots of experience using Blucore, and I would like to pose the question: What is your favorite adhesive?

At the moment I am ready to glue the DC-3 cruciform fuselage parts together, what would you use for that?

Gluing the wing in place in it's slot... what would you use there?

Suggestions for other locations?

Sorry to be such a tyro, but it would be so nice not to have to continue to make mistakes in order to eventually find out what is a "good thing".

i use 3m77 for large areas like gluing two body halves together.
probond for any joints in a wing. i agree it's a real mess to use. mixing it with water speeds up the cure time to just over and hour but you have to keep mashing it down, it expands even more when water is added.
gws glue that comes with their plane kits is good for smaller pieces if you use it as contact cement.
odorless ca works ok but makes a very brittle joint. i always use it to glue wing struts in place.
i try to use as little hot glue as posisble. it's easy to get carried away and just a few sticks adds a lot of weight. but i always use it to glue on the horizontal stabilizer and the wing. it's easier to cut loose if you need to slightly reposition them or replace one broken in a crash. if you cut it loose and replace something you can peel whats left off so you start with a clean fuse with no glue on it.
i use a lot of walmart "scotch" tape over seams i've glued with something.
dental floss wrapped around the end of an axle then soaked in ca is a good way to hold wheels on. just be sure you don't glue the wheel to the axle.
tom63 is offline Find More Posts by tom63