HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2005, 01:22 AM
3DHobbyShop disciple
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
Wing Warrior Flyers: How do you set up your motors?

Fellow Warrior flyers.

I just recently built a Zipper with a Mega 16/15/3. I set the wing up with the "standard" Wing Warrior motor mount. This provides quite a bit of negative thrust to the point of unflyable. I don't know if I missed a step in the instructions.

I built a Raider previously and had the same problem. It was rectified with a couple of bolts under the clamshell. This provides close enough to a 0 thrust angle which is my preferred motor characteristic.

My question.
How do you set up you motor?
waltj2k is offline Find More Posts by waltj2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2005, 01:43 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2004
476 Posts
The stock metal motor mount is adjustable. You need to grab the motor with your thumb on top and your fingers on the bottom and bend it to the desired thrust angle.

If the thrust angle is correct the back of the motor where the prop is will hang down just a few degrees behind the trailing edge.

Rich
asmokindeal is offline Find More Posts by asmokindeal
Old Mar 06, 2005, 02:13 AM
3DHobbyShop disciple
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
Thanks ASD,

I remember I attemtped to bend the mount into place on the Raider. I couldn't get it to remain where I wanted it. That's when I made the adjustments using bolts instead.

I was asked what "unflyable" means. In it's current config it dives to the dirt under full power.
Old Mar 06, 2005, 07:33 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Much easier than bending is simply putting some washers on the top side, where you put the screw through the hole. That way you can adjust very fine increments without bending anything.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Mar 06, 2005, 08:28 AM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScYcS
Much easier than bending is simply putting some washers on the top side, where you put the screw through the hole. That way you can adjust very fine increments without bending anything.
This is my prefered method also . Adjustments made with low stress on the foam and metals are always more acurate .

Mando.....
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Mar 06, 2005, 10:13 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Like mando and ScYcs, I just put some spacers under the rear of the mount.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Mar 06, 2005, 11:08 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2004
476 Posts
Spacers or bend, if your plane is diving for the dirt under throttle you defenantly need to shore up the back of the motor a little bit. That is the whole purpose of the metal motor mount...easy adjustments at the field. Just bend that thing! Its way easier than adding tail wait with small washers and having to unscrew it and rescrew it many times. There is no problems with tweaking on that motor mount.
This is the way both Chris and myself adjust the thrust angle.

It usually takes me about 10-20 adjustments to the thrust angle to get it exactly where I like it. It has to be pretty dead on to the the rolling circles and the salmon.

I like it so that inverted it just starts to sink in level flight hands off. It shouldn't pitch or steer down.

In the future to avoid a lot of bending of the motor to get your thurst angle, melt or cut away about 3-5 millimiters of foam away from where the motor mount seats. Taper it in to the trailing edge.

Rich
asmokindeal is offline Find More Posts by asmokindeal
Last edited by asmokindeal; Mar 06, 2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2005, 06:14 PM
3DHobbyShop disciple
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
I added to bolts under the clamshell and got the thrustline where it needs to be.

Man the Zipper is a handfull with a Mega 16/15/3 and Lipo's.