HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
You mean very nice Oliver . As far as I understand all the new WeMotec fans will from now on have the lightweight aluminum spinner upgrade, which will make slightly higher power levels possible.

In the WeMoTec MiG-15 I am pulling around 1600 Watts wot with the old Midi (plastic spinner) and it still runs as smooth as silk. The new alu spinner will make the magnetic balancing a bit easier, since now only the rotor needs to be balanced.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:34 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Jenik's Rafale:

Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:45 AM
San Pedro
Joined Jan 2004
767 Posts
Herb, can you take a look at the EJF Rafale thread ( sorry to hijack). I was curious on your thoughts of my progress so far. Any input would be helpful. Henry V is a good buddy of mine and he has spoken highly of you. Thanks.
dman1 is offline Find More Posts by dman1
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:13 AM
Joined Mar 2005
13 Posts
part mounting

Hello everybody
probably i am a dummy. I can't understand how to put these parts :

They seem to be too long ....

how to do ?
Thank's

Sofiane is offline Find More Posts by Sofiane
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:44 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
You trim them very carefully!
I believe there is a left and right side. Be sure to figure out which is which before trimming them..............
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jun 18, 2006, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2005
13 Posts
Thank's Gregg

Do you mean i have to cut the bounds ? I guess it's the only way to put them inside ....

Sofiane is offline Find More Posts by Sofiane
Old Jun 18, 2006, 01:40 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
They are inlet covers. I put them on the outside.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:11 PM
long time - no see!
Laupheim, South Ulm, Germany
Joined Oct 2003
29 Posts
look here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Grass takeoff with retracts is no problem if you have the required thrust & low enough takeoff weight

Two more Rafales at yesterday's E-Meeting in Germany ...

In the background a very nice Schreiner (redesigned 90mm ducting) F-16 with retracts, and Hoffmann's Me-262 twin 90mm and Dolphin. Photos by Stefan T http://www.jetcom-modellbau.de/index_deu.html

Sorry, Herb,

but the mentioned F-16 is not a Schreiner one. It was... a very nice BVM F-16 with a TF-4000 and very powerful and fast setup!
It was built and upgraded with light moulded wings and looked very nice. The retracts were the original scale ones from Bob Violett and operated nicely.

It doesn't live any more and Jörg Rehm, his wife and we others, who were part of the crash, were absolutely sad to loose such a nice family member.

Mike
Michael_Maly is offline Find More Posts by Michael_Maly
Old Jul 19, 2006, 02:52 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
well, looks like i'm in need of another manual (english version)! Herb? Bma?
I am not sure if the single(120mm) english version is that much different than the twin.
Thanks
demetrius is offline Find More Posts by demetrius
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:24 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrius
well, looks like i'm in need of another manual (english version)! Herb? Bma?
I am not sure if the single(120mm) english version is that much different than the twin.
Thanks
Andrew:
I have the Kevlar version in a PDF. file.
Old Aug 06, 2006, 03:21 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Here's what I have, hope it helps
Old Aug 06, 2006, 03:33 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
old and new
Old Aug 06, 2006, 04:02 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Rafale takes off a few miles from where I'm at, St. Moritz - Samedane, Switzerland:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...256&q=Dassault

The Rafale was in St. Moritz for winter weather testing.

Note the roll right afte takeoff

Last edited by Herb; Aug 09, 2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2006, 01:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
2X 3s

Herb,
Perhaps a bit off topic but I read in one of the threads that you only use 3s packs in serie to form for example a 6s. I need a 6s and am thinking of doing the same, but can the packs get inbalanced? Do you apply special measures to prevent this or are you just using a std Y cable?

Thanks.
reinhoud is offline Find More Posts by reinhoud
Old Aug 09, 2006, 01:19 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Hello Reinhoud,

I use a standard connector to join up 3S packs into two 6S packs, paralleled for a total of 12S. See picture below. Thick wiring & connectors have to be able to handle the high currents. I fly these packs in all my other planes.

Unless you have extra cash to burn, packs in 3S (or similar) sub-units which can be individually swapped, or used in another plane if you need to, is the only way to go imho.

This incidentally allows the use of inexpensive 3S balancers (I use a TP 205, but an Astro blinky would do just as well), and I don't need to buy another exotic piece of electronic junk to carry to the field .

Even in 2006 Lipos are very delicate, and - in spite of all the amazing over hype - still of moderate reliability at high currents (10-15c pack are are still regularly advertised at 20-30c, which is pure fiction in the long run ).

On any medium to large planes custom packs (11S, 10S etc) make no economic sense whatsoever to me, unless you have grossly mis-calculated the amp draw of your setup.

Last edited by Herb; Aug 09, 2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2006, 01:31 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
Hello Herb,
I see you are back from your travels abroad.
I will be out on the 18th of August, maybe you, Greg and I can get together at the Costa Mesa field.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
Hello Herb,

Thank you for the information.

Only one more question. I do not have a balancer, but I allways check the cells for voltage difference before charging. If there is a difference close to .1 V i charge them seperately. Do i still need a balancer or is this only to safe time because all cells can be balanced at the same time during charging?

Thanks again.
reinhoud is offline Find More Posts by reinhoud
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:59 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
With Lipos you absolutely do need a balancer! Astro makes a $23 Blinky that is quite inexpensive and works very well:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRZ9&P=0

http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/astro_f...er_4906557.htm

I use a TP 205 which also works well, but makes all sorts of annoying noises to remind you that you bought a TP product

http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/thunder...05_4311331.htm

Or you can spend a ton of money to do exactly the same taks

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/index.php?cPath=136
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:01 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Hello Bob,

Yes I might be around at that time (and even have some working batteries, just took a trip to costco to get a marine deep cycle replacement, the previous one lasted me only six months ).
Old Aug 12, 2006, 02:31 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Tested yesterday the brand new (Spring 2006) Kokam 3200 20C high current cells, which can be charged at 9.6 (3C) according to Kokam:

http://kokam.com/product/product_pdf...0mAh_Grade.pdf

The ones I got are distributed in the US by Orion and possibly others. They seem to be thinner than the original 3200's.

... since all my PQ XP/Hyperion VX 3700 3S packs (so called "twenty" ) are just about finished after four months of flying - the latter heat up much more now - I guess some manufacturer have found a neat trick to achieve lower initial internal resistance and the expense of long term durability.

Last edited by Herb; Aug 12, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:09 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Have you kept track of how many cycles to failure or at least reduced performance Herb?
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:21 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Yes, around 30-40 cycles for the four PQ/Hyp 3700 3S packs ... Most of the flights were at barely 10C or so (1/2 throttle) with ok cooling.

They were flown & rotated around in various planes (incl. prop ones) and the pattern seems similar : Initially they runs supercool even at close to 20C. Over time the cell's resistance increases slightly, as a result the cells start to heat up more, esp. towards the end of the flight. The increased heat degrades the cells even more rapidly. Kind of a snowball effect.

Now they still deliver lots of power for the first minute or so, but as they heat up the voltage sags and they don't keep up with the load. Somehow the electrolyte has degraded. I suspect the capacity is still there, but you can't reach it because the cells get hot prematurely (>60 deg celsius). Externally they seem fine (see picture).

Perhaps the 30-40 cycles are still a lot better than some other packs, I've heard of ElB 10s (?) tanic packs lasting 7 flights or so before they puffed their way into the trashcan, that's a whopping $70 per 5-min flight ...

Hopefully the new Kokams will provide better longevity. We'll see.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:24 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Oh my, not good

Pretty hard to know what to buy these days, new and better stuff comes out every 6 months and it takes longer than that for most guys to achieve and reasonably high # of flights on a pack to see what the durability is!

I've put a strip of tape on each of the packs I've bought in the last year or so and make a tic mark each time they get charged. I'm up to 25 cycles on my 3S4P 8,000 TP packs and the same # on my 3S1P Tanic 5,000 cells. Both are still performing perfectly but I suppose it's the next 30 cycles that will tell. The average weekend results in only one cycle per pack, at an event where I'm there all day I'll get 2 or 3 cycles per pack in a day.

The TP's prolites do get a little too warm IMHO, they'll get to 130F if you burn 4.5 AH in 5-6 minutes, if you want to use more than that amount of capacity you need to fly pretty gently. The Tanics hardly ever get over 120F. 3.8 - 4.2 AH burned in a flight lasting 5 minutes + a landing approach has them landing in the 115F range on a 90+ summer day.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:29 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,456 Posts
You're not the only one with this issue, I recently had a couple of 5S3P 6300 mAh packs do the same on me, after close to 30 cycles. Advertised as 15C packs and never pushed beyond 14C static and 11C in-flight. The first 10 cycles where good, then the voltage started to sag and finally i could not get more than 3600 mAh out of them before the esc reached soft cut @ 3 V per cell. And then a couple of cells had started to balloon slightly so they where toast. I also had trouble keeping them in balance the last 5 cycles, I had used a Hyperion LBA6 from the start with good results in the beginning. When I did a slow discharge with my Orbit charger I got 6250 mAh out of them, compared to 6600 mAh when new, so they still hold good capacity, but the problem is getting it out of the packs on the current levels we operate at.

I returned them to the shop wanting a refund, which I got, not a full one but enough to make me satisfied. I did have dataloging from every cycle, as my Eagletree Micropower have been onboard this plane from the start, so I could show that they had not been abused, cells never went beyond 55 degrees C (usually not hotter than 45 degrees C) and never under 3 V so I had a pretty strong case. I have now got me a couple of XCell 4900 packs that I'm gonna try out for a while, they have tested very good (see www.elektromodellflug.de) and if they hold up better I will invest in a couple of 5S packs, trouble is these big packs also cost big $$ so I do not want to get burnt like this one more time.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:54 AM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
Quote:
With Lipos you absolutely do need a balancer! Astro makes a $23 Blinky that is quite inexpensive and works very well:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRZ9&P=0

http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/astro_f...er_4906557.htm

I use a TP 205 which also works well, but makes all sorts of annoying noises to remind you that you bought a TP product

http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/thunder...05_4311331.htm

Or you can spend a ton of money to do exactly the same taks

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/index.php?cPath=136
Herb

do you need a adaptor to use one of these with Tanics?
dusmmdb34 is offline Find More Posts by dusmmdb34
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:24 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,456 Posts
I believe you can order the Tanics with different balancing plugs to suit the balancer you already have.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:25 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Correct, adapter needed if you have tanic taps or you can order with a TP balance connector which is what I did.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth
... I have now got me a couple of XCell 4900 packs that I'm gonna try out for a while, they have tested very good ...
Yes I looked at the Xcells as well (mystery manufacturer), and their quality control problems. Some cells are very good, and some others not so good. Guess which ones the evaluators get to test ...

In the old days when you bought a Sanyo CP cell (or a GP cell) you knew you would get your money's worth, now it seems to be more or less a lottery with some of the manufacturers (which even rely on several different suppliers, see eg gen 1 gen 2 extra lite pro vx labels ) . That's of course a major roadblock with larger high perf planes, at $70 a flight the fun element is rapidly shrinking.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:44 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,456 Posts
Herb,

I'm guessing they got a few of the good ones for testing, hopefully so have I.

But seriously, I've seen problem reports about almost every brand of Lipo batteries, so maybe it's just a matter of the technology not having matured enough yet to be consistent.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:47 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
The small turbines are about the same money as a complete 120mm power package and are look better all the time.

"That's of course a major roadblock with larger high perf planes, at $70 a flight the fun element is rapidly shrinking."
Herb

Quote:
Yes I looked at the Xcells as well (mystery manufacturer), and their quality control problems. Some cells are very good, and some others not so good. Guess which ones the evaluators get to test ...

In the old days when you bought a Sanyo CP cell (or a GP cell) you knew you would get your money's worth, now it seems to be more or less a lottery with some of the manufacturers (which even rely on several different suppliers, see eg gen 1 gen 2 extra lite pro vx labels ) . That's of course a major roadblock with larger high perf planes, at $70 a flight the fun element is rapidly shrinking.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:34 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Well six pages of "defective cell exchanges" does not sound too good to me ...

http://rc-network.de/forum/showthrea...t=42743&page=6

The statement that these kind of experiences "are not any worse than any other brand" is from the german x-cell distributor, as far as I can tell. There is no real data yet.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:53 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Anyhow more chores for this week :

* Dusting the garage ...

* Recycle some Lipos ...

* Consider buying more Kokam 3200 Lipos ...

Yes Phil, it's still here all in one piece

Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:45 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Hey I never saw your mig29 before! Nice!
You were missed at the field this weekend!
It was nice conditions with very few people flying.
My Apex packs are still good! Even the ones that have puffed up slightly
You must not be abusing yours hard enough!
see you next saturday?

Bruce
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:50 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
How about a Jet together Sat?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:46 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
I'm down!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:33 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
See you guys there on Saturday, I'll bring the fleet.

Yeah I was thinking of having some work done on the twin MiG-29 ... Right now the twin MF480's have been pulled out.

Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:41 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,494 Posts
Jet together? at Fairview park?

woo hoo!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:59 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Perhaps Andrew will be able to join us too ?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:07 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
On the new Rafale I'm splitting the elevons for redundancy as in the BVM one,

Last edited by Herb; Aug 30, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Looks good Herb!
How's your thumbs?Probably gonna need your testpilot skills this Saturday for my Sniper, or you handlaunch it and I'll fly it!
Bruce
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:56 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
I think for the Sniper you will need a bungee ...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:01 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller
Looks good Herb!
How's your thumbs?Probably gonna need your testpilot skills this Saturday for my Sniper, or you handlaunch it and I'll fly it!
Bruce
What time are the glider guys clearing out now?
1pm the usual............
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:10 PM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps Andrew will be able to join us too ?
Is Fairview park the same park where i maiden the jepe reno?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:14 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
They start leaving around noon. By 12:30 it's usually clear.
I'm gonna give the sniper the old running javalin handlaunch and we'll see if it works!
Here's a map Andrew.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:20 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Yup.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:46 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I think we found your elevator ...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:49 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
I'm gonna give the sniper the old running javalin handlaunch and we'll see if it works!
Does it have a hook? I can take my bungee temporarily out of retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg f
What time are the glider guys clearing out now?
1pm the usual............
They've been made aware again, this time in no uncertain terms, that we always had a 400ft ceiling, so now they seem to leave a bit earlier.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Thanks Herb,
I can easily install the hook, the backing plate for it is already there!
I MAY also have ANOTHER(yeehaw!) EDF to maiden! And no it's not my Vasa F-5 or an Alfa!
You bringing #1 Rafale out?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:13 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
See you at 12:30 then
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:31 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
yes put the hook on and make sure it won't come off ...

I'll bring anything that flies (ie has Lipos which ain't dead yet) ...

Last edited by Herb; Aug 31, 2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:32 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
Hey,
I want to fly there too!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:17 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Armed and dangerous
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:16 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Droptanks with extra tanics ?? Infrared guided pencils from target ???

Quote:
... You were missed at the field this weekend!
Sorry, had a chance to drive my friend's 430 around Irvine - woke up the whole neighborhood still have ringing in my ears
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:24 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Okay, hook on.
Dang, I need a faster jet! You guys cheat!

Phil you coming? xpham!
Old Sep 01, 2006, 08:30 PM
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
153 Posts
Electron Tailpipe Burning in the OC!

Good to see the Fulcrum is still a BEAUTY!!

I'm on your SIX Herb and Bruce!
See you guys tomorrow!!
XPHAM is offline Find More Posts by XPHAM
Old Sep 01, 2006, 08:50 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPHAM
Good to see the Fulcrum is still a BEAUTY!!

I'm on your SIX Herb and Bruce!
See you guys tomorrow!!
With a plane????????????????
Old Sep 01, 2006, 09:12 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Cool Phil, see you and your T-33!
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:58 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Herb, leave the bungee at home...
I tried but the sniper won't be finished in time.....
Old Sep 02, 2006, 01:05 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
No problem ... Rafale no. 2 isn't ready either, still waiting for suitable batteries

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Old Sep 02, 2006, 01:33 PM
Buckley wa
Joined Mar 2005
986 Posts
Bruce I'm jealous you get to fly with Herb
mediq is offline Find More Posts by mediq
Old Sep 08, 2006, 02:38 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agustapower
Hey, I want to fly there too!
Well at least I was told you got to hear the sound of the WeMoTec MiG-15 over the phone ...

The Rafale will be down for batteries for a while, at least since I come back from my trip ...

Will just have to stick to my Aeronaut Rafale video in the meantime ...
Old Sep 08, 2006, 05:21 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
... They just published the schedule for Aspach 2006 this coming weekend :

http://www.e-meeting-aspach.de/1027353.htm

Hopefully somebody will take some nice video.

Beside's Joerg's & M Maly's Schreiner F/A-18, there's one scheduled flight of an Aeronaut Rafale twin by Peter Bech (twin DS-51/s ?) :

http://efk87.indexdata.dk/billeder/Rafale/images.html

Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:28 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Cut out and fit the new formers for the pneumatic retract installation, and test-fitted the new fans.

It's a lot easier to plan the retract installation from the beginning, as opposed to doing a retrofit ...

Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:31 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Black proto scheme, but I will leave the wing underside white:

Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:38 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
What fans will you be using Herb?
Am I seeing shube shrouds w/gold painted wemo rotors?
Your pics on post 399 shows normal wemotec midifans w/the new spinners.
Those pics are kind of blurry.....
Bruce
Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:00 AM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
214 Posts
Those fans look like, a JEPE shroud and wemotec rotors.
The jepe rotors are also to see in the picture.

Why using the wemotec rotors in the jepe fan? if you also have the jepe rotors.
Has it something to do, that jepe now also uses the wemotec rotors on his 3winder?

greetings Paul
Jet builder is offline Find More Posts by Jet builder
Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:26 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Cut out and fit the new formers for the pneumatic retract installation, and test-fitted the new fans.

It's a lot easier to plan the retract installation from the beginning, as opposed to doing a retrofit ...

Hey how about a couple of beers for a copy of those mods!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:02 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
WeMotec rotors in Jepe shrouds, it saves about 45 grams.

If I were to use the JePe fans & rotors I could save 82 grams. Apart from the weight issue, the WeMoTec rotors have a different load compared to the JePe rotors.

The JePe fans need an adapter ring to fit to the ducts (bellmouth shaped intake), the WeMos only need minimal work.

Andrew, what exactly do you need? This time I made scale paper templates of all formers, so I can get a perfect fit if I need more half-formers for the retracts.

It's amazing how much lighter the Aero-naut fuse glass work is compared to my first one, it seems they significanly perfected their layup technique.

Yesterday I weighted all the components, and the weight rtf should come out around 3.4 kg (7.5 lb) - which is around what the designer is flying in Germany - and about the same weight as my present one (but now with the slightly beefier Hacker B50 motors).
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:22 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Two stators on one JePe fans were a bit loose , so I had to glue those back, and re-do all the stator joints for safety & peace of mind.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:24 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Here's my simple outline drawing of the Rafale formers:
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:30 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
On my old one the rear retract location is about 29cm measured from the intake lip. The front retract is at about 17 cm, measured again from the intake lip.

Old Sep 16, 2006, 03:16 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Slightly better picture of nosegear location:
Old Sep 16, 2006, 03:20 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Batteries (here new Kokam 3200's SLPB) fit nicely between ducts without giving CG problems, even with the very light twin motor setup.

Plenty of space between the ducts should give long term flexibility with battery choices ...

Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:17 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,411 Posts
Time to RE-built + QUESTION : 2x90 mm OR 120 mm ???

OK, now, after 1 month of wait I finaly have the courage to rebuilt the my rafale !

But Now I have a question : For my Next one (when this one will be rebuilt and Re-crashed), I wonder what is best : A Twin 90mm or a 120mm version ?

Of course I will prefer the kevlar/aramid version, but reading the forum, it is not clear to me what is best: 2x90mm or 120 mm ? ?

bmaaa is offline Find More Posts by bmaaa
Old Sep 17, 2006, 01:05 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Looks like you had a bit of a hard landing there

As far as preferences are concerned, I prefer the twin 90mm for obvious reasons: Same or better performance than the single fan,

Aeronaut Rafale video

but no exotic motors and fans that you can't put in any other plane (there's tons of 90mm fan planes out there), and lots of 90mm fans to chose from (JePe, Schuebeler, WeMoTec, ...). Better flexibility with battery & therefore CG choices, but a more complex pneumatic retract installation.

Here's btw last week's video of an Aeronaut Blade twin flying on twin Midfans & cheap Axi outrunners:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2766588&q=hepf

Last edited by Herb; Sep 17, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 01:09 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Geez that looks like one of my crashes!
You already have the fans, motors, batteries and ESCs for the twin version, why not reuse them?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 01:11 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
... List of 90mm fan kits here :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...90+mm+fan+kits
Old Sep 17, 2006, 01:12 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Emile's Rafale with twin Jepe fans (I'm sure he can tell us more in person) :

http://rc-network.de/forum/showpost....2&postcount=16
Old Sep 17, 2006, 04:15 PM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,411 Posts
Actually my curent (damaged) Rafale use a Twin MINI-fan (70mm), so if i do another rafale, I will have to get some new fans & motors even if I choose the twin 90mm version. The Twin 70mm is fun, but not powerfull enough for my taste, and the "lighter is better" route is finaly such a good route in belgium where it is so... windy !

SO THE QUESTION IS : Is it possible to get from aeronaut the Twin 90mm version with Aramid fuse or is this Aramid version only available for 120mm ?

AND ALSO : Aeronaut seems to says that a twin 90mm setup heavier than a 120mm ? ( Two motors & fans are heavier than a bigger single 120mm motor/fan combination ) ? Is it true ?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 04:51 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Rafales

Herb, can you tell me where you got your aluminum spinners for your Midi Fans and Mini Fans? I need to buy some for my fans as well.

I no longer have my EJF Rafale so I am going to buy the one I wanted all along the Aeronaut Since you know the plane very well which version would you buy I want to install Spring Air 602's. You went through allot of work to install retracts in your twin but it looks great. The single Kevlar version would be allot less work I think?
Thanks Herb
Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:16 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Elston
Herb, can you tell me where you got your aluminum spinners for your Midi Fans and Mini Fans? I need to buy some for my fans as well.

I no longer have my EJF Rafale so I am going to buy the one I wanted all along the Aeronaut Since you know the plane very well which version would you buy I want to install Spring Air 602's. You went through allot of work to install retracts in your twin but it looks great. The single Kevlar version would be allot less work I think?
Thanks Herb
Joe
Joe you didn't crash her? Did you?

Also, My twin is gonna have two ap-900 fans! I figured i try a different approach!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:19 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
aero-naut "says" the single 120 is lighter - until you install a humongo motor/ESC and packs, then plan around 8.5-9.25 lbs.
The gear install is pretty plug and play even for a first timer.
The aramid fuse withstands abrasion very well, the glass may be stiffer?
The sound of a twin is hard to beat, but the 120 fan at revs sounds pretty good also.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:51 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaaa
... The Twin 70mm is fun, but not powerfull enough for my taste, and the "lighter is better" route is finaly such a good route ?
The smaller fan route will work w/o retracts. It will fly very well !! Retracts need a slightly more powerful setup, esp. for grass takeoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaaa
Is it possible to get from aeronaut the Twin 90mm version with Aramid fuse or is this Aramid version only available for 120mm ?
No. The larger fan uses a new redesigned, much fatter fuse in order to squeeze the fan in there. The weight saving of aramid is only a few (4) ounces, esp. with the newer production lighter twin glass fuses, and therefore almost negligible.

By building light and avoiding layers of epoxy, you can make the twin as light or lighter than the single. Since the twin glass fuse is quite a bit stiffer, you need less reiforcements to stiffen it. Using for ex. heavy brick motors you can easily negate the weight gains in other components.

As I said above, the advantage of the single is a more straightforward rear retract installation. Still, in the twin you get the full kit & superb glass work at 230 euros: http://www.wemotec.com/prototype/pro...products_id=54 which is a good value
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:58 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Elston

Thanks Herb
Joe
You get the alu spinners from www.wemotec.com, or one of their us distributors. I still fly lots of stuff with five year old (balanced) plastic wemo spinners . The retract installation is simpler in the single, which needs a fan and motor that fits nowhere else though - unless you try to fit it into some of those green polyester icdf monstrousities.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Also, My twin is gonna have two ap-900 fans! I figured i try a different approach!
That should work, make sure you painstaikingly balance the rotors I see a race in our future (still feeling guilty about that coke I took away from your kid )
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:29 PM
Need 4 Speed :-)
Venray, The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
1,104 Posts
The crashed Rafale.... was that the ex-jepe jet???

Pascal
Rodebaron51 is offline Find More Posts by Rodebaron51
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:44 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Aeronaut Rafale/EJF

Quote:
Joe you didn't crash her? Did you?
!
No Andrew, I sold it back to Robert there where just too many problems(nice of him I thought) . I bought the jet second hand and there were allot of parts missing and its a very long story, you can PM me for more info.

Herb, thanks I did work out some numbers and I plan to get the twin version and install a set of Mini Spring Airs.
First I plan to build my El Bandito.
I didnt see the spinners listed on the Wemotec site, I will email them.
Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:52 PM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,411 Posts
yes Rodebaron, the crashed rafale is the ex-jepe one. But... I will rebuilt it.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:02 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
Betrand what happened? How are your other projects coming?
Did you make it to Aspach?
Regards,
Bob
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:46 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Ulf's Aeronaut Rafale yesterday at Aspach 06 (very nice picture taken by Michael Maly):

http://www.michael-maly.de/Modellflu...pach170906.htm
Old Sep 19, 2006, 03:59 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,411 Posts
Well Bob, I was not in Aspach because I was... at the Jet Power show in Germany.

As far as projects, I have now in the built quite few planes : A Mpx AcroMaster, A OVER-powered electric Twinjet (2 Mega 16/25/4), A Ripmax Spitfire, An Aeronaut Panther (electric version so far, and then a Kerozene Turbine version with my 200 grammes turbine), and... the rebuilt of my crashed Rafale

So, my latest filalised project is my Kero-Twinjet ! see my complete built thread that include videos here :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=537867&pp=15

And 2 videos here (turn on the volume and enjoy :

Video slow pass & roll

Video bungee launch

Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:46 AM
Need 4 Speed :-)
Venray, The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
1,104 Posts
BMAA,

How did the crash occour?

I think it is a very easy to fly plane... with our (super light) setup it is even easier....

Tell us...

Pascal
Rodebaron51 is offline Find More Posts by Rodebaron51
Old Sep 19, 2006, 05:36 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,411 Posts
Well the plane has no responsability.... only the pilot ! You know when you try to loop ...too low :-(

the plane is indeed a very easy flyer pussycat.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:10 AM
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jun 2002
347 Posts
My Rafale is powered by 2x90mm Schuebeler Fans, Plettenberg 220/30 motors and 8S Kokam 4800.

Flying weight is 3.3kg. Currently no moving Canard.

I got 120% thrust/weight (static) ratio and it climbs vertically at around 30-40m/s (allmost like a F4F plane). Turbines seem to have better acceleration at low airspeeds than other turbines I have used. Gives and advantage at take-off from grass with small wheels.

Planning to mount retracts, primarily to keep turbines free of damaging dirt. Will try Wemos Mini 40 if I can get in contact with Oliver. Also planning to control the canards for broader manouvering envelope. Might install rudder to get the full manouvrebilty as the original.

It's a super model, flies exactly as you control it, performs excellent and with full control at low speed with high nose.
Peter Bech is offline Find More Posts by Peter Bech
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:00 AM
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jun 2002
347 Posts
Quote:
... They just published the schedule for Aspach 2006 this coming weekend :

http://www.e-meeting-aspach.de/1027353.htm

Hopefully somebody will take some nice video.

Beside's Joerg's & M Maly's Schreiner F/A-18, there's one scheduled flight of an Aeronaut Rafale twin by Peter Bech (twin DS-51/s ?) :

http://efk87.indexdata.dk/billeder/Rafale/images.html

The pictures Herb has found, show the low-noise turbine installation: The turbines are resting towards the bulkhead on a rubber ring. They are fixed with 3 rubber bands (clamps glued on the tube and secured with 1mm carbon pins). 3 pins from 2mm plastic tubes secure the turbine torque.

Result is considerable lower high pitched noise in most angles. Very clear when flying together with Ulf in Aspach, even considering the fact, that I fly with some 2.5kW and he flies with "only" abount 1.8kW.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:22 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,811 Posts
peter do you use the 220/30/A3 S P4 ?

is the setup in the pictures (low vibration) yours?

alex
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jun 2002
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fly!
peter do you use the 220/30/A3 S P4 ?

is the setup in the pictures (low vibration) yours?

alex
No, it's the 220/30/A4 S P4.

AND I am not allowed to use it! Both Uwe (Plettenberg), Daniel (Schübeler) and Ulf (Herder) tells me it gets too hot with 8S LiPo's, so they recommend the 220/40 A3 S P4 with built-in cooling fan. These allso provides a better working point and thus more power with less heating.

The reverse cooling air-flow in the Schüebeler fans are, according to these experts, not so good as for instance in the Wemoteks.

I have allready destroyed the magnets on one rotor, but I have planned changes so the motors gets much more air, and I kind of like the lightness of the 30'er and love the fun of 8S.

But on the other hand, I would also like to keep my good relationship with the above gentlemen, so I might change them, just for this very good reason.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:41 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Thanks Peter for your comments !

The reduced (front) airflow in the JePe fans compared to the WeMoTecs is another issue that concerns me. I tried this weekend to drill out the front openings in the JePe fan, without much success...

In all my WeMoTecs I have actually used the trick of increasing the front gap between shroud and rotor, which can be done provided the rotor is painstaikingly balanced. It seems to help further in cooling the motors (Hacker B50's).

Old Sep 30, 2006, 03:21 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bech
The pictures Herb has found, show the low-noise fan installation ... when flying together with Ulf in Aspach, even considering the fact, that I fly with some 2.5kW and he flies with "only" abount 1.8kW.
Here's some more very neat pictures I found of Peter's and Ulf's Rafale twins at Aspach:

Old Oct 01, 2006, 05:27 PM
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jun 2002
347 Posts
Mine is the camouflage painted one on the styro box.

I fly much faster and is double as old as Ulf, so it's only fair to be on top of the podium, right?

The inflight picture is Ulf, mine is so fast, that no photographers caught it.......