HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2005, 12:34 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
AMCO 3.5cc BBRV pic

Here's a classic British FF motor of the 50's - the AMCO 3.5 BB rear ind. diesel. This one's seen little use & runs really well.Saying that though, it has proven itself to be a nasty finger bighter and that comp screw is very difficult to wind DOWN when running? although it backs off the comp. instantly when unscrewed (as it should). Although I paid very little for the motor , i always believed it is original.Although theres no production number stamped on the case (did these ever have one?) and the 'amco' lettering cast into the case isn't very defined or pronounced.I believe thats the exhaust 'manifold' pictured? It was lying loose in a box of bits that came with the engine.Anyone got any AMCO stories to share with us?
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2005, 02:25 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,565 Posts
As I recall the BB had a darker coloured case and it's name was quite clearly defined - this one doesn't look 'right' either in appearance or external finish,and the head anodising looks too 'red' - might be a replica. The ones I owned and used in the '50s were easy to handle - certainly not 'finger biters' at all. One disadvantage of the original BB's, however, was a tendency to split the case.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 05, 2005, 03:00 PM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,548 Posts
I've noticed a lot of vintage motors on ebay seem to have had the cases buffed or bead blasted and the heads/spinner nuts reanodised and said to be in original condition .
Well they look pretty, but thats not to say the motors arent in good running order.
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Mar 06, 2005, 02:50 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipclop
I've noticed a lot of vintage motors on ebay seem to have had the cases buffed or bead blasted and the heads/spinner nuts reanodised and said to be in original condition .
Well they look pretty, but thats not to say the motors arent in good running order.
Stewart
You mean, like these ?
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Mar 06, 2005 at 02:56 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2005, 04:33 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,548 Posts
A new unrun motor should look more like these. A natural luster to the case and the casting marks defined .
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Mar 06, 2005, 07:24 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
The photo may be decieving, the anodised fins are actually more of an orange red rather than a brilliant red.The case hasn't been buffed,polished or bead blasted- but certainly doesn't look sand cast 1950's.? The previous guy that owned the amco died at least 20 years ago , so , assuming it's a repro it must have been a very early one.The only photo I have is in Ron Moultons engine encyclopedia , and the exhaust has convex edges where as my manifold appears square.I actually thought that manifold was cast with the case?
Old Mar 06, 2005, 09:46 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,565 Posts
>the anodised fins are actually more of an orange red rather than a brilliant red.

'Original' heads were a dull red - almost a reddish-brown. Now I think about it, you're right about the exhaust stack being integral. had it been removable I'd have tossed it, 'back then'
Old Mar 06, 2005, 05:49 PM
Haslemere, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2001
91 Posts
Amco 3.5cc BBRV pic

Snorks
There were two distinct styles of Amco 3.5BB. The early ones had a quite dark crankcase and fins below the exhaust stacks - they were made in Chester up to late 1951. From late '52 on the motors were made at Alperton and are distinguished by a much lighter couloured crankacase and no fins below the stacks. Also the stacks were curved on the Chester version, stright edged at the Alperton models. On both versions the word 'Amco' was very clear on the case. (The above from Mick Clanford's book).
Those I saw at the time were all dark case versions and the anodising was a dull, quite dark red.
Yours might be an Alperton version which has had the stacks sawn off - does it look as though this might have been done?
I was going to post pictures of the two versions but when I try to use the 'Insert image' icon I get a window asking me what text I want formatted.

Mike
Mike Rolls is offline Find More Posts by Mike Rolls
Old Mar 06, 2005, 06:14 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Insert image is when you want to post a hyperlink to a publically accesible image

If you want to post a picture onto RCgroups servers use the 'manage attachments' button.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 06, 2005, 07:47 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,454 Posts
Never owned an Amco, but have seen a few. One of our guys had/has a BB in a Swiss Miss, and it goes well too. lt is a dark colour in the 'case. Looked up May '53 Aeromodeller magazine and there is 'road test' on the #2 version with one of the pics of the engine in bits, and the exhaust stack looks as though it is part of the 'case.
ln OZ our vintage rules are pre '55 for model & engine, as well as replica engines okay, so would be good to use it here. The test one peaked BHP @ 12500, and a 9x4 gave 11500 on the test so with a bit of unloading in the air this would be the prop. to use. Looks a nice engine, and seeing that it goes well, build something for it.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Mar 07, 2005, 02:01 AM
Haslemere, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2001
91 Posts
Vintage 1

Thanks for that - having another tyr. If it works you will see that the two versions also have slightly differing shape viewed side on because of the way the fins have been turned.

Mike
Old Mar 07, 2005, 02:05 AM
Haslemere, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2001
91 Posts
It worked! Many thanks.

The more I look at Snorks picture the more it looks as though it could be an Alperton motor and someone took a hacksaw to the stacks - this was quite often done over here at the time with motors which had stacks like this - the ED 246 was another prime candidate. Ysual reasons given were:
Save weight (!)
Convince folk you had 'modded' the engine (!)
And the valid one - to allow you to drop the motor from above into a cowl (usually in a team racer) between the bearers.

Mike
Old Mar 07, 2005, 03:54 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
Thanks Mike,
It appears mine is the Apleton version, as you said. The lettering on the case, the finish & the exhaust stack look like the photo you posted.right of screen. The photograph I posted has both my workshop lamps aimed at the motor for the photo, thus maybe making it appear unnaturally shiney. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 07, 2005, 08:19 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,565 Posts
Looks like the Alperton model - whichever, be wary of the case splitting uncer a lug
Old Mar 07, 2005, 11:48 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
I cleaned the motor out before running it & you are quite correct applehoney in what you say.Inside the case around the lug area there are two 'sunken' dimples in the casting,on both sides.A manufacturing defect of note.