HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:03 PM
jug
Joined Aug 2004
94 Posts
Another horrible build brought to you by jug

After reading the posts and doing some research it seems that people dont have problems with the nacelles coming off on the stock setup. This post is no longer valid so I had to change the title and delete my previous rant. Check my reply on the bottom of the second page.
jug is offline Find More Posts by jug
Last edited by jug; Mar 07, 2005 at 03:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:12 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jug
This A10 will fly like its on rails and looks awesome in the air but I'm so sick of repairing the nacelles after a few soft landings. This design sucks everything needs to be reinforced and each day I go out I usually spend that night repairing. I never have any problems with my other planes its always GWS! So today I brought in my A10 to work and everyone wanted to see it fly so I tossed it in the air and it came down not to hard but managed to break both nacelles again! Everyone was so surprised and asked why they break so easily? Well I explained its GWS and they make crap so if you want to get into flying avoid them like the plague. Your power system even sucks so I had to go with a brushless setup. And dont even get me started on the Minidragonfly. The A10 is a great plane but GWS needs to make some major improvements. I think I need to smash this thing in to little pieces and put the power setup into something more reliable. Okay I'm done venting *puts on flame suit*
A very mature and adult approach there, Butch.
geoffbeneze is offline Find More Posts by geoffbeneze
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:14 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,118 Posts
I agree that this plane is very fragile and will not take much rough use. I built her from the get go with the following carbon fiber reinforcement; A carbon fiber, (CF), spar ~ 0.020” X 0.5” embedded flat, (horizontally), into the bottom of the wing from tip to tip. A CF spar ~ 0.025” X 0.175” embedded vertically into the horiz. Stab. From tip to tip. Two 3mm CF tubes, one in each half of the fuselage assembly spanning from ~2.5” from the tip of the nose to ~ 1” from the tip of the tail. Added after assembly were two 3mm CF tubes to support the nacelles after they broke off several times on what appeared to be pretty good landings. I have, after rebuilding the nose, glassed it back to the front of the gun pod. It was also mentioned that the wing saddle is very weak. It is!! When I build another Hog, that section will get glassed. I know all that CF has kept the Hog repairable with the several mishaps that have gone down. One in particular is when my bro-in-law hit my A-10 mid air with his zagi at about 100’. The right wing cracked just outside of the gear pod and was angled up at about 30 deg.!! Had to use full right stick to fly straight! Was still able to bring her in without further incident. With out the CF in the wing, it would have broke off and gone in from 100’!!
Here’s one other thing I did to make the hog more durable and everyday flight friendly. When attaching the wing to the fuselage, there is a bolt at the trailing edge which screws into a nut mounted in the fuselage. The only support there is the small plastic piece which has the hole and the foam wing to screw down on. When you take the wing on and off, you crush the foam wing a little bit every time you tighten it down. I cut a 3/8” X 3/8” column through the wing at the place where the screw goes through the wing. I then put some tape on the bottom side of the column and filled it with 5 min epoxy. Once cured, I drilled the hole back through the epoxy column. Now when I tighten down the wing the screw squeezes against the epoxy and not the foam.
RickAvery is online now Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:14 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,192 Posts
hm...
Try to land softer?
GWS does need to make some improvements on some of their designs...but as a modeler and pilot, you should take into account that designs will not be flawless...
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that those engine nacelles supporting the weight of those fan units, cannot simply rely on that thin strip of foam to connect and hold it to the entire airframe for very long, ESPECIALLY w/ a BL setup!
I'm pretty young in the RC world, but that was actually one of the first mods I made to my A-10... just gotta think a little more than the foam sometimes...
Just buy some shish-ka-bob skewers and epoxy them in, haven't had a nacelle break off since even w/ EDF 64's!!!
Good luck w/ future flights,
Victor

BTW: Posted under Wrong user name, should have been: ACEMIGKILLER
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Last edited by TBolt; Mar 04, 2005 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Wrong user name
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:21 PM
jug
Joined Aug 2004
94 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys I will buy some carbon fiber rods tonight and try to fix this problem once and for all. And the main wing wobbles a bit because of the foam being compressed over time so I will try to epoxy it tonight so hopefully it wont get worse.
jug is offline Find More Posts by jug
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:26 PM
Joined Oct 2003
37 Posts
I smashed it after it broke again after losing both motors.
I had to replace them 2 times , each time having to buy a complete edf set because motors not available.
Bought also lipo to make it lighter......not better.
I spent the same amount of money reparing it and improving it as the kit costs. Not funny.
So I understand the first post.
Stay calm...........if you can.
Greetz
Ivan
CrazyIvan is offline Find More Posts by CrazyIvan
Old Mar 05, 2005, 09:39 AM
sussex England
Joined Jun 2002
466 Posts
Rightly or wrongly i think the view to take with the GWS kits is they are not ready to fly out of the box. The power train needs improved, but if the a10 was supplied without motors and fans, i dont think theyd be selling many, or any.
Theyre cheap foam kits, oh and they throw in motors and fans too, think of it as paying for the airframe and its easier to bear.

For my part, on the nacelle issue, i just fibreglassed the strut. Not pretty but it didnt break afterward.
And when the motor burnt out on my edf55-150 version, i got some graupner 280s and flew on them. Only cost 5 each ($9)
birdseed is online now Find More Posts by birdseed
Old Mar 05, 2005, 11:50 AM
HAWK3Y3
United States, VA, Hopewell
Joined Jun 2002
263 Posts
I purchased my A-10 after reading quite a few reviews. I learned alot before I assembled mine. Made quite a few modifications. I enjoy changing my models. Part of the process is to add a personal touch. I do not like going to the field and seeing another aircraft exactly like mine. The other part is the satisfaction of identifying the problem and correcting it. My A-10 flies will within certain perameters. It is not a 3D machine. I fly it when I am in the mood for that type of flying.

I agree that GWS is cheap stuff and I get tired of reading posts that complain about GWS. I knowingly accept the low quality and gladly pay the low price. If I wanted a model that looked great out of the box and one that needed little or no modification, then I would dish out the big bucks for an Alpha Models plane. Since I have more time than money, I live with the GWS planes. Besides, they make a great starting point. Just my two cents.
HAWK3Y3 is offline Find More Posts by HAWK3Y3
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Mar 05, 2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
I am with Hawkeye,

You get what you pay for and I bought my A-10 some time ago well knowing it was not a super aerobatic model. I have the original EDF-50 version, which is lighter that the new ones and I have never broken a nacelle; I really think the added weight of the EDF55 and heavier motors has alot to do with that. I have gone through one set of motors though, but kind of expected that, since I did push them hard.

It is a fun flier, slow and graceful, just like the real thing and much more relaxing to fly than the rocket ships I am used to...it's a good way to warm up or just have some quick fun. If you set your expectations correctly , you can have a ball with it. I enjoy a sharp turn, followed by a steep dive and a simulated strafe about a foot off the ground with a quick climb out...and this ship can do it easily without worry. If you don't expect it to roll much or go vertical, you will have fun.

I am at the point now though where I want to test some upgrades. I will buy another EDF50 version sometime this summer to keep it light, then add Feigao brushless motors and the new 5 bladed EDF50 rotors and lipos and see if I can get more performance, while keeping it very light. The weight of the power plant I believe is responsible for the EDF55's snapping more often than not and they should all be supported with CF rods. I like to keep it light, so we will see how it goes.

Carl
CTulanko is offline Find More Posts by CTulanko
Old Mar 05, 2005, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
"slow and graceful, just like the real thing"

The GWS A-10 w/ edf-50s is as far from the real thing as any plane ever made. The real A-10 is extremely agile. Never flies straight and level in the real world. Dances and jerks more than any other thing to ever fly. The stock GWS A-10 is horrible under-powered for a semi-scale plane. A TM is more aerobatic.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 05, 2005, 04:00 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Sarge,

You are misinterpreting what I said; from the clips and videos I have seen of the real A-10, it is indeed slow and graceful, a very agile bird when compared to it's swept wing fighter counterparts. At leat that is how it appears to me.

I was just telling you I like how mine is set up and flies...is it fast and ultra aerobatic...nope. But it can be fun, looks good in the air turns very well and lands on a dime. It's a $39 airframe and for what you get, it's worth every penny and more! There is fun to have with this model for many fliers, including myself and many of us do indeed enjoy flying it. Sure it could use more power, but out of the box it is still a good model and I would and have recommended it to others, who have joined in on the fun and now fly it whenever given the chance. It may not be for everyone, but some of us do enjoy the GWS A-10 ... a fun EDF.

Carl
CTulanko is offline Find More Posts by CTulanko
Old Mar 05, 2005, 04:15 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
CTulanko, which Feigao's are u gonna try? the 5300 or the 4100 ? The reason i ask, is that i have a pair of 4100's i wanted to try in an edf50 but it looks like im only gonna get the same amount of thrust on 3 cells as the regular edf50 gets on the brushed motor.

am i reading the charts wrong?
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Mar 05, 2005, 05:30 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTulanko
It's a $39 airframe and for what you get, it's worth every penny and more!
Indeed. By far my favorite powered model.
rdeis is online now Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Mar 05, 2005, 06:53 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Dear jug, sorry to hear that GWS A10 caused your inconvenience such badly feel.

I will notice my RD team look into what you mentioned.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Mar 05, 2005, 08:18 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
I have flown my A-10 full speed into a pine tree- tore the wing off. Cartwheeled on landing....100 foot dead stick into a swamp- cracked the fuselage in half..it's all been easy repairs...and GUESS WHAT??? The nacelles have NEVER BROKEN OFF!!! never! Don't blame GWS for your lack of building and assembly ability. Make sure all paint is removed from contact areas. I used foam safe thick CA, used a pin to prick holes all around the contact areas and have NO problems. I don't have any type of added on reinforcements- just the nacelles glued to the fuse. You must be doing something wrong. My A-10 EDF 55 flies wonderful with a 3 cell Lipo and throttle management so I don't burn out the motors.
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad