HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2002, 01:47 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Lite stick vs. Pico stick vs. Mini Max

I'm looking for a slowflyer that is easy to fly in relatively small spaces (like a single ballfield), readily repairable, and can operate in at least a little bit of wind (I have a Razor for windy days)..The lite stick, pico stick and mini max seem to fulfill most of these desires, anybody have any comparisons of these?

Thanks
surfdog4 is offline Find More Posts by surfdog4
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2002, 02:46 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
They are all fun but the Mini Max will handle a little more wind and has a lot more power If you cut about 3 inches from each side of the wing on the Lite Stik & Pico Stik they will do better in wind.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Mar 23, 2002, 03:27 PM
nothingtosay
Vaasa, Finland
Joined Oct 2001
122 Posts
Re: Lite stick vs. Pico stick vs. Mini Max

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdog4
I'm looking for a slowflyer that is easy to fly in relatively small spaces (like a single ballfield), readily repairable, and can operate in at least a little bit of wind (I have a Razor for windy days)..The lite stick, pico stick and mini max seem to fulfill most of these desires, anybody have any comparisons of these?

Thanks
Hmm... Lets see.... Pico Stick and Lite Stick means one and a single plane! Beloved child got many names, you see!
Pekka Mattila is offline Find More Posts by Pekka Mattila
Old Mar 23, 2002, 03:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I was assuming he meant the Pico Cub Stick.
boomer
Old Mar 23, 2002, 03:57 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
I have a litestik and i love it, It is so easy to fly but i hate having to wait till the wind dies down to fly it. I don't allways wait till the wind stops and it makes for a fun and exciting flight LOL Let the guys that have both tell you what they think but if the minimax flies as good as i have heard then it sounds like a winner.

Later
Jay
jayboy is offline Find More Posts by jayboy
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:07 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
http://216.40.226.212/~admin2/forums...threadid=33884
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 24, 2002, 04:17 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
thanks..sounds like either would work..guess I'll go bargain-hunting! Does anyone have much experience with the single-conversion receivers like the feather??..the reduced range scares me a bit....
Old Mar 24, 2002, 04:27 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Surfdog,
At the distances we normally fly with a slowflyer it isn't a factor.
However I get less glitching with the GWS RX than I do with the feather. But I have been flying both and really haven't had a problem. The feather is more of a problem when a bunch of fliers are in the air in a small area such as a Gym.
boomer
Old Mar 26, 2002, 08:44 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Well I went with the Mini Max..just ordered it tonight..there are a couple of places online with a $49 special..you get the plane, the Speed controller, and a battery..not bad....decided to try the Cirrus 4 channel micro receiver (found out it is made by Hitec) and a couple of HS-55 servos..now if the wind would die down.......
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:29 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,404 Posts
Moth Man with a Mini Max

I think you made the right choice. I'm a die-hard Tiger Moth guy, but went for the $49.00 special too. Finally got to fly it this afternoon in calm conditions. I am impressed! Ran about 8 packs through it. Loved it more with each flight. Warning. This airplane is fast at full power but flies wonderfully slow at reduced power. My suggestion, especially a beginner is to takeoff with full power but quickly reduce power once airborne.

Mine is totally stock. Flies great with the battery included. You are gonna enjoy this model!

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Apr 15, 2002, 12:22 AM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
I absolutely love my Mini Max. Make sure you strengthen the elevator joint with a small piece of balsa, however, as it tends to tear. Tore mine in mid-flight. Landed with control of only half an elevator. Could hardly tell the difference.

I was so impressed with my Mini Max I bought a Lite Stik. Frankly, I could not get the Lite Stik to fly well. I think the 4000' altitude was not kind to it. But, no matter. For the money, the Mini Max is a blast. Relaxing when you want it to be and aerobatic (in slow motion) at full power. I fly it much more than my Zagi.

By the way, I eventually replaced the stock motor with a "370" from Hobbypeople.net. It fits in the same gearbox and now flies vertical!
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Last edited by Inari; Apr 15, 2002 at 03:27 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2002, 02:02 PM
Joined Dec 2000
195 Posts
I am having the exact opposite results. My Pico Stick fly fabulous. I am having trouble getting the Mini Max to fly at all. It flies but not very well. The problem I am having is it seems to be so very underpowered. I am using the 650 Mah NIMH batteries.

Rob
rplourdejr is offline Find More Posts by rplourdejr
Old Apr 15, 2002, 02:37 PM
So. Cali
Joined Mar 2002
187 Posts
I also have the mini max and like it alot. it flies great. i use a 7.2 320 nicd and a 7.2 600 nimh. both have enough power and it flies well.
SiRacer is offline Find More Posts by SiRacer
Old Apr 15, 2002, 03:27 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
I have flown the Mini on several different packs. I usually use a 7-cell 650(i think) mAH NiMH pack. You may want to try seven cells if it seems under powered. But if flies nifty on a 6 cell pack too. Also, are you using the original prop? It seems to be the ideal size for the motor.
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Last edited by Inari; Apr 15, 2002 at 03:29 PM.