HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2005, 12:23 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Magnum XL 91 RFS vs Saito FA 100. Which is better?

I have a Hangar 9 Corsair that I still haven't bought an engine for and was looking for a good 4-stroke for it. Today I got a flyer in the mail from Hobby People thats advertising a Magnum XL 91 RFS 4-stroke for $149.00 . I was origionally saving up for the Saito FA-100, but that one costs almost $300

Which one would be the better choice for my Hangar 9, the Saito or the less expensive Magnum?
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2005, 03:05 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Anyone
Old Mar 05, 2005, 04:03 AM
BAKO
Tbilisi, Georgia
Joined Jul 2004
772 Posts
ko me. I haave magnum 91 and I have nothing against it. it can idle wonderfull and power is good too. dunno nothing saito 100, but people say that it's stronger and lighter, but wery shaky. so I think on warnirds magnum will me even wonderfull. it sounds good. and u save money. on this saved 150$ u can get some spring retracts, or something for your plane. or get fuel. that's my opininon.
no mean to pay 150 extra $ for bit more power and same reliebilety on warbird.

thats my opinion
Bako is offline Find More Posts by Bako
Old Mar 05, 2005, 03:25 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Thanks Bako
Old Mar 06, 2005, 05:54 AM
south wales
Joined Mar 2005
19 Posts
hi , have never run a magnum fourstroke but i have a fa100 in a GP U Can Do for the past year and like it alot.Very good power and quiet to boot .Starting is a breeze
and so far no troubles(over 80hours on the engine to date) had it for it`s lightness
and power .building a 68 inch spitfire which will be powered by yep my next fa100.cost is the only gripe so you pays your money and takes your choice
chipmonk is offline Find More Posts by chipmonk
Old Mar 06, 2005, 09:47 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
There is a local hobby shop owner, who's son flys FAI Pattern at the NATs and places top 10... who carries and uses the Magnum 4-strokes. He's very happy with them for sport models.

The Magnums are good sport flyer engines with a very attractive price. The YS and Saito engines will develop a little more power for the same displacement and are lighter... making them better for competition flyers. In the middle is the OS 4- strokes.

If looking for the best "bang for the buck" on a first 4-stroke.. go Magnum. If looking for a sport to low end competition engine you never have to touch the needle valve on after break-in.. go OS.. if you need competition performance.. YS or Saito.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 09, 2005, 09:07 PM
Joined Feb 2005
11 Posts
You should buy magnum instead of saito. But be aware for the bearing inside magnum engine.. Many people usually change the bearing even the engine is new. (Magnum is made in china anyway.. you cannot compare it with one of the most finest and famous four stroke engine in this world)
Iman Kadri is offline Find More Posts by Iman Kadri
Old Mar 09, 2005, 09:26 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I had several Saito engines and all were great engines. Powerful. Lasted almost forever. Never heard anything bad about Magnum engines except poor resale value. You pays your money and takes your choice.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Mar 10, 2005, 05:08 AM
Romania, Constantza
Joined Feb 2005
43 Posts
I thin you should buy the Magnum.They run great and the prices is exacly 1/2 of a Saito from what people say here.If you want to fly for fun get a Magnum.If you feel like going to a world championship geta better engine because there the extra power makes a difference.Otherwise I think it's not worth to pay the price of an extra engine.
I personally like Magnums a lot.
Tomcat_CT is offline Find More Posts by Tomcat_CT
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2004
84 Posts
The Magnum .91 4 stroke is one of my favorite engines. Use no more than 15% nitro in your fuel and there will be no problems with the Magnum 4 strokes. You will love the way that .91 runs in your Corsair. A warbird is really nothing more than a heavier faster sport plane. That Hobby people price of $149.00 can't be beat! My own LHS cost on the .91's is $109.00

I ordered five of them!
Handy is offline Find More Posts by Handy
Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:47 PM
Village Idiot
United States, TX, Sinton
Joined Sep 2003
105 Posts
As stated, Magnums will run just fine on 15% or less nitro and they don't like any more nitro than that. In order to get the most out of a Saito you need to run ~30% nitro though it will run just fine on 10% nitro, just not as user friendly/powerful. The Saito does have the edge weight-wise. Money-wise the Magnum wins EASILY. The Magnum might take a while to get dialed in but once you're there you RARELY have to touch it.

IMO, all things considered, unless money is of no object to you and you are a name slinger, buy the Magnum and don't look back for a second.
Gene Chernosky is offline Find More Posts by Gene Chernosky
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2004
84 Posts
Just to add a little to the dicussion, I find that my Saito's run very well with 20% nito, when I say run well I mean they idle very smoothly at low RPM's 1800's and transition fast and smooth from idle to WOT without any studders.

My Magnums especialy the .70 and .91 four strokes run very well with the 15% nitro.
Handy is offline Find More Posts by Handy
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:36 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Handy,I also used 20% nitro in my Saito engines. PowerMasterYS 20/20. Worked well.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Mar 15, 2005, 07:40 PM
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
369 Posts
I have two of these Magnum 91s 4 strokes and I love them. They are fantastic and have great compression. I have broken them in with 15% but I am now running 20/20 fuel in them and they run even better with that. The idle is great on them from the start and gets better with break in. With the 20/20 fuel it is even better. Right now I have one in a Spacewalker II from seagull models and another in a Goldberg Matrix which I haven't flown yet. Both were broken in on the Spacewalker in the air and they both pull a 14x8 prop with authority.
mikester is offline Find More Posts by mikester
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:15 AM
PRO BRO 921. AMA 40405.
LAKELAND
Joined Aug 2004
63 Posts
magnums a great sport engine. saito is a great engine. I've owned both, prefer saito... but the magnum would fly the corsair ok. got 2 guys in our club with them. but both of them got saito 100's in them
ron ferrer is offline Find More Posts by ron ferrer