HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2005, 10:57 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
Multiplex Easy Star/Brushless Report

Thought of posting this in the mega sized thread on the Easy Star but felt it was worthy of a separate place.
After 25+years of flying almost everything, on a whim I picked up an Easy Star. My Fly'n buddy got one to. Because of the 8 cell GP1100 packs we already had, we found out that we were going through 6V S-400's pretty quickly. On a trip to southern California I stopped into Dymond Model Sports in San Diego. Have known Helmut the owner for some years and when I asked him for his recommendaation for a brushless for my Easy Star and added that it must be able to swing a 6 inch maximum diameter prop he showed me a neat little outrunner. Thinking that outrunners only swung big props he assured me that this one was different. He was right. I installed this motor in my EZ, slipped on a 6x4 APC and wow !. Turned 2000 more r's at 2 less amps and the performance was outstanding.
The motor @ controller are on sale for only $79. It is the Tornado 400F

http://www.rc-dymond.com/order_motor_brushless.htm

RonJ
RonJ is online now Find More Posts by RonJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2005, 11:03 PM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
Do you have a pic of how you mounted this?
mrX is offline Find More Posts by mrX
Old Mar 05, 2005, 09:36 AM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Nov 2004
75 Posts
Where do you see the combo for 79? All I see is two TYPHOON 06 Outrunner Combos for 79. Hmmm, different part numbers but the same description.

Is one a typo?
Rob_k is offline Find More Posts by Rob_k
Old Mar 05, 2005, 10:09 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
MrX-have photo but don't know how to post it on the Zone. Basically I cut a "donut" out of 1/8" plywood and CA'd that on the back of the motor nacelle. I used the "X" mount I got from Dymond for size and spacing. With a Dremmel sanding drum I sanded the plywood down flush to the nacelle. The motor was then mounted using the Dymond mount with the wires outside the nacelle, over the top and forward. Just behind the cockpit I ran a hole down to the inside to feed the wires through. With this set up I can replace the motor/ change motors,etc.. Hope this is clear.

RobK--Must ask for it. Tell them you want Ron from Wisconsin's set up=motor+esc+"X"mount.

RonJ
Old Mar 05, 2005, 10:15 AM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Nov 2004
75 Posts
Thanks,

I was contemplating an Align motor + esc but this is the same price and looks easier to get to Canada.
Rob_k is offline Find More Posts by Rob_k
Old Mar 05, 2005, 11:07 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
31 Posts
A photo would really be great and a real benefit for all. All you need to do is to hit the "go advanced" button below and click on "manage attachments". Browse for the file on your computer and upload it.
George-Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by George-Maxwell
Old Mar 05, 2005, 05:40 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
EASY STAR + DYMOND"S TORNADO 400 F

OK George, Here comes my first attempt to post a picture on the Zone.
Old Mar 05, 2005, 05:49 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
Well, so much for my first attempt to post a photo. Did the "advanced" thing. Clicked on "manage attachments" Browsed the file (my HP Photosmart album, the photo I wanted was the first thing that popped up so I highlited it and then clicked "upload".
The little green progress bars started and after quite a wait indicated "done".
Went to check my post and ---nothing. Had hoped it would be that easy. I do have a 3 page outline to posting pictures but get lost in the language.
Would appreciate any help on getting my photos posted---

RonJ
Old Mar 05, 2005, 06:05 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
#2 pic posting attempt

Well, found another post that had advices on posting a picture. Looks the same as George's so will try again.

RonJ

So much for try #3. Did get some great flying in on the EZ today. Had two with the Dymond brushless mod and two with stock Permax 400. The difference was outstanding. The brushless EZ's would speck out in about 15 seconds max and the stock took almost a minute to get up there. As a bonus, the duration was much much longer on the brushless as we used less power to get where we were going. Later on the winds really picked up and the stock EZ's had trouble getting back upwind to land. The brushless set up just powered through the wind and got back easily. Love this set up.

8-GP1100/Dymond 400F/Dymond controller/APC 6x4 E prop.
Last edited by RonJ; Mar 05, 2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add photo
Old Mar 05, 2005, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
Well, so much for my first attempt to post a photo. Did the "advanced" thing. Clicked on "manage attachments" Browsed the file (my HP Photosmart album, the photo I wanted was the first thing that popped up so I highlited it and then clicked "upload".
The little green progress bars started and after quite a wait indicated "done".
Went to check my post and ---nothing. Had hoped it would be that easy. I do have a 3 page outline to posting pictures but get lost in the language.
Would appreciate any help on getting my photos posted---

RonJ
Try resizing the image to around 640x480 JPEG, save it to "My Pictures" on your computer, and upload it from there. Test Forum
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Mar 06, 2005, 09:02 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
Test Successful, thanks

Posting Photo
Old Mar 06, 2005, 11:18 AM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Thanks Ron. Looks like that mount should be a standard mod for folks who like to tinker with different motors.

Joe
Joe_Atlanta is offline Find More Posts by Joe_Atlanta
Old Mar 06, 2005, 02:26 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
Joe,

Great little mount. Two different hole spaceings. Speed 400 bolts on perfect. I understand that the Tornado Motor will bolt right into the 400 size GWS gearboxes and the shaft size is the same. All sorts of possibilities with this motor.

RonJ
Old Mar 06, 2005, 06:26 PM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
Thanks for the pic RonJ.

I was/am looking at the BP12 to put on the easystar, with a bigger prop. I posted my ideas here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342909

That donut idea is a good one tho. May have to modify my thoughts.
mrX is offline Find More Posts by mrX
Old Mar 06, 2005, 09:32 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
mrX-

Checked out your thread on the BP12. Not familiar with that motor, but looks like some work to get the prop clearance necessary and then your thrust line is changed.
Don't know how this will affect the EZ. I do know that I am big time happy with the Dymond 400F and controller set up. Highly recommend it.

RonJ