22,796 Posts
Nothing on his site, how much?
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2001, 02:22 PM
CA
Joined May 2001
51 Posts
What a great post Larry, I'm going to look into this...
Jer
Kilowatt is offline Find More Posts by Kilowatt
Old May 04, 2001, 03:13 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,726 Posts
Wonder if they've been tested on other rx's like the GWS? Hope he will have them for sale at the South West Aero Conference.
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old May 04, 2001, 05:23 PM
Quebec, QC, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bronk:
Nothing on his site, how much?
That doesn't surprise me Fred. I should have mentioned that they're just getting ready to sell them. Azarr told me $10 but I'm not sure how firm that was/is. I think you can email him from his site.

Cheers --- Larry
Larry Marshall is offline Find More Posts by Larry Marshall
Old May 04, 2001, 05:25 PM
Quebec, QC, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KeithK:
Wonder if they've been tested on other rx's like the GWS? Hope he will have them for sale at the South West Aero Conference.
Knowing Azarr, I doubt he'd fly a S400 model with a GWS receiver, or a feather, or any of the other truly slow flyer receivers. But there is nothing that would prevent the antennae from working with these receivers when used in slow flyers. For flying anything that can put a dent in the ground, a good, dual-conversion receiver, or at least something with some front-end filtering, is a good idea.

I'm hoping to fly the antenna with an Extreme 4 tommorrow morning.

Cheers --- Larry
Old May 05, 2001, 12:43 AM
Quebec, QC, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
new antenna from www.Azarr.com

I had an experience today that was 'real nice.' It was a result of getting a small box from Azarr in the mail.

That box contained a small antenna, being just 4" long and weighing a tad over half a gram. Some of you may have seen them at Toledo as these were installed in the models that DJ Aerotech is now selling.

I assumed that these were designed to be short-range indoor antennae and they will certainly work well in that role. What I was surprised at, however, was what a discussion with Azarr yielded as he explained
that these were more than just a length of wire wrapped around a straw as many of us have done for some time. Rather, these are antennae that are being made by a guy who's involved in the RPV world and that
they are tuned to 72mHz. Further, he explained that he and others were flying these things outdoors in S400 models, that they'd ground checked them out to 275 YARDs (825 FEET), suggesting they'd be better
than that in the air.

Being the doubting Thomas that I am I stuffed the antenna in my Blue Foamie (expendible airplanes are great for such things) and headed to the field with a pocket full of battery packs. I did a collapsed
antenna range check and while I can't tell you how far it was, I got more range from this antenna than I do with a Deans. Radio was a JR8103; receiver a JR R600.

So, I flew...and flew. I'm old so my eyes aren't what they used to be but I flew the BF as far away as I could, getting it sufficiently far away that I simply had to rely upon knowledge that it was pointing
away from me when I initiated a turn to return. I flew over high tension lines that are a few hundred feet off one side of your site.

I flew as high as I could without losing sight of the plane. I flew the plane straight at me, pointing the Tx antenna directly at the plane. I collapsed a couple segments of the Tx antenna and continued
flying. At the end of 4 battery packs of this sort of thing I couldn't generate a glitch to save my soul.

Anyways, I thought I'd share that with you. I'm not sure if Azarr has these for sale yet but if he doesn't have them already he will have them soon. You can get better information I'm sure, if you contact
him at www.azarr.com. These look like just the thing for small models and, unlike the Deans antennae, you can use them with base-loaded receivers like the FMA gear.

Cheers --- Larry
Old May 05, 2001, 07:19 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,750 Posts
Hi Keith,

The original intent was to release them at the SouthWest Aero Conference, but word from the prototype testors is getting out, the people that have seen and used them are pretty excited about this product. The antennae are just under 5 inches long, approximately .5g and are soldered to 1-2" of the original antenna. They are available now,($10 Shipped in the US), but I just haven't had time to get them on the web site. Still working on things like packaging and dealer pricing, I know of several of the slow flight dealers are planning on carrying them. I'll definitely have them at the Conference provided the supply holds up, the demand is pretty high at the moment.

The impetus behind the design was to get rid of the dangling antennas on our indoor flyers. Seven of us have been flying them indoors since last Sep. Indoors we've used them with the Feather, GWS, MPI and SkyHooks and Riggin's receivers. Range testing has shown no reduction from the OEM's antenna. Of course, if your receiver has poor range or rejection issues to start with, they will still remain the same.

While flying indoors, the group started wondering about their applicability for hand launch and mesquito class gliders and park flyers and S400 pylon racers. We started testing outdoors with the receivers we normally use outdoors ie. Futaba, Hitec and JR and had the same results. During range testing the receivers exhibited no range reduction from the original antenna. As what I consider a great test, I'm flying a relatively large S400 foamboard delta with an FMA Tetra and one of the M-72 Micro Antennas. As Larry said, I can fly it as far as my eyes can see it.

I expect to have info and pictures on my web page this weekend.

Azarr
www.azarr.com

QUOTE]Originally posted by KeithK:
Wonder if they've been tested on other rx's like the GWS? Hope he will have them for sale at the South West Aero Conference.[/QUOTE]

Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 05, 2001, 10:14 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,750 Posts
I haven't tried the FMA Extreme, but I don't know why it wouldn't work, since it works with the base loaded FMA Tetra. I think Jim Ryan is trying this combination this weekend. He'll probably post something later.

Azarr
www.azarr.com

Quote:
Originally posted by ifxmnfly:
Will this antenna work with FMA Extreme 5 Receivers?!! If so, I may have to get me one.
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 05, 2001, 03:21 PM
Quebec, QC, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ifxmnfly:
Will this antenna work with FMA Extreme 5 Receivers?!! If so, I may have to get me one.
It worked fine on the Extreme5 this morning. I am a happy camper.

Cheers --- Lary

[This message has been edited by Larry Marshall (edited 05-05-2001).]