SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2005, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2003
702 Posts
Cool
RFR (Ready For Receiver)

What planes would you like see ready for receivers. As is all built / done servos installed wire harnes included. Even the CG set.
Smashed_Toad is offline Find More Posts by Smashed_Toad
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2005, 07:26 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,087 Posts
A sky scooter!

Ok just messing with ya.....again.

Something that us normal folks can afford would be nice.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 03, 2005, 08:40 PM
Joined Dec 2003
702 Posts
I have another thread going with the same thought. The trend in the market went from kits to ARF and has stayed at ARF except at the entry level point. There are so many people who do not like to build are to lazy to build or do not have the time to build. Charge and Fly is the next progression.

The reason for the threads is I am talking Tangent to do a short production run of ready to install receiver planes. NO I AM NOT A DEALER< NOR IMPORTER just helping them come back into the USA with MPX planes after a three year time out. When I was the importer I would have 10 to 15 requests a week for ready to fly planes. I never could get MPX to do it. I brought in a sailplane builder into my shop but he worked on his planes and mine (LUCKY ME) so we never got the idea launched before the sales of MPX to Hitec. Now there is a chance to take ARF to the next level.

Having TX downloads of the setups on the factory web site or set up sheets for radios that have no PC interface would be the next step.
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
I personally think its a great idea. I don't know how many would take you up on it but I do know there is a portion of those in the hobby who don't have the time, do have the money, and would like to have the convenience to purchase and go fly good quality model sailplanes and RC models of all kinds for that matter. One of the reasons RC club swap meets are so fun and sucessful.

I have been contemplating doing just this beginning with a 1:3 scale primary and 1:3 scale built up fabric on frame Schweizer.

Tom
mmartin55 is offline Find More Posts by mmartin55
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:35 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
I guess this is pretty much what has happened with R/C cars. Once upon a time you had to actually bolt them together, but today I guess you just plunk down five bills, charge up the batteries, fill up the tank with gas and yank the pullstarter.

I think that with the price point these will need to sell at, there's not much sense shooting for the low end of the market. Might as well go full bore, with 4m-5m++ versions of all the popular sailplanes: ASK-XX, ASH-XX, ASW-XX, DG-XXX, DG-XXXX, Ventus, Discus, Nimbus etc.

Personally, I'd love to see the Fox, Swift, Puchacz and SZD-59 Akro at around 4-5m, ready to go, just charge and tow.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:05 PM
El Dorado Hills, California, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2000
548 Posts
Another Credit-Card Modeler

Just kiding... Follow the vendors to all the Events. They always willing to sell the Demos they fly.

Or...

Learn to buy a plane from a modeler_work the guy, so that they want to sell what you want.
Much like trying to score a "Date" in a period of time. Buy them lunch, talk about other modeling things and be helpful.

One of my friends does this and he scores 70 to 80 percent of the time.

Remember you need to invest time and effort, much like a Date. You get what you put into it..

Martin
MAVA is offline Find More Posts by MAVA
Old Mar 04, 2005, 09:56 AM
Joined Dec 2003
702 Posts
Now the top end R/C cars come RFR. Credit Card you bet! Go to the LHS see how many wood kits they have on the shelf and how many ARF planes they have on the shelf.

It is hard to find real kits. Heck even foam planes come ARF now.
Old Mar 04, 2005, 11:46 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Quote:
It is hard to find real kits
You want kits ?
I got kits.... ==> MT Models

Michael
MTT is online now Find More Posts by MTT
Old Mar 04, 2005, 02:39 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,735 Posts
I'm just wondering if people will balk at the cost of shipping a model that's been CG'ed. I mean that's a lot lead to ship in a, say a 5 meter bird.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Mar 04, 2005, 03:49 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
At those sizes, the weight isn't the determining factor anymore...

The size and bulkiness of the box determines the shipping price much more than the weight.

Example in case:
I recently sold a Valenta Thermik XL, 4m TD sailplane to a gentleman in Seattle ( I'm in Ohio ) , at the same time, I also sold him a spare fuselage, for the same model.
The complete model was shipped in one box, 75x16x11, the spare fuselage in another box of the same size.
Although there was a considerable difference in weight, the amounts for the shipping of each box was almost identical, $43.- vs. $41.-

Michael
MTT is online now Find More Posts by MTT
Old Mar 04, 2005, 03:49 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,087 Posts
That would not change the shipping cost at all. You are probably getting charge for 70lbs anyway because of the size of the box. Besides it's not that much weight compared to the overall weight of the plane.

TFLG
Old Mar 05, 2005, 11:42 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh
I mean that's a lot lead to ship in a, say a 5 meter bird.
First CG ing a large scale ship over 5 meters is not something you will see foreign manufacturers do, at least none that I deal with in the CZ or Germany. It is an assumption on their part, that this is up to the pilot to determine for himself; and there are variables that allow for different CG's and horozontal stab settings, depending on pilot preference. These are not trainers, and unlike prebuilt ready to fly trainers that you see already on the market, these big sailplanes are not for beginners. We do offer proven CG starting points for our big LET models. HF models come with CG loccations indicated, but from what I have seen some pilots can't fly them unless they are balanced in a more forward CG.

If something like this would occur,(on large sailplanes) comments on the volume weight are correct. Shipping 5 large 1/3 scale ships via airfreight costs the same as three. Weight is not an issue to the extent that rates are calculated on Volume weight formulas.

In addition, just to bring everybody up to date. We are already bringing in large 5 meter plus Let models in the most RTF status available. wire harness, servo connectors, some servos installed, wing connectors etc. not cheap, and not for price shoppers. Hand painted screw heads on the instrument panel and hand sewn map pockets(with maps)are not for everyone.

Speaking of R/C trucks, I was blown away by the RTR state of these after visiting my local LHS recently. for the price of four JR 8611 servos you can get a whole truck with everything ready to go, including a programable electronic transmission. Cool.
scalesoar is offline Find More Posts by scalesoar
Old Mar 07, 2005, 02:02 PM
Joined Dec 2003
702 Posts
True John all pilots have their own thoughts / likes as far as CG goes but all are within inches on most planes.

The "cost / profit" for the same box comes into play.

Say a 2m ASW27 $350.00 Arf or $750.00 fit your receiver and fly. The cost to ship from Europe is the same. It would be hard to put "NEW" good servos / wires / switch and finish for the price a plane can be done at the factory.
Old Mar 07, 2005, 02:26 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,087 Posts
Reality break

Karlton you NEED an avitar. Might I humbly suggest....
Old Mar 08, 2005, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2003
702 Posts
Love it.