SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2005, 10:12 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,765 Posts
What is your record for wrecked planes in one day?

I had another double wreck day (2 planes destroyed in 15 minutes). Pico Stick needs a complete rebuild. The wing snapped in midflight doing a loop. My next wing is going to be modified and much stronger. Corsair just needs some epoxy and remounting of the motor. I hate digging out the motor mount stick. It ended up landing in a 200 foot Eucalyptus tree. I was lucky to get it down by gunning the motor. I was wondering who has the record for most wrecked planes in one day? Be honest-- post pictures if you can.
Don't you just love before and after pictures?
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2005, 10:47 AM
Spad Builder/Basher
Clinton,Utah
Joined May 2004
315 Posts
I put three into the ground last week........destroyed my 80 inch cub, severely damaged my SPAD, and slightly damaged my slinger!!!
Spadinator is offline Find More Posts by Spadinator
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:00 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
My record is one.. But I only have one plane. Since I moved to electric I haven't had a crash, minus the maiden flight when my radio completely died. My last .40 glow trainer nosed dived onto the pavement 10 seconds into the first flight. It was vaporized.

Off topic.. Are Corsairs really hard to fly like everyone says? The ones I've flown in FMS are super easy.
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:12 AM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Hello,
The GWS Corsair is a GREAT flying airplane. I actually converted mine to .061 Nitro, but it flies GREAT. Nice speed, great handling. However, the landings are a bit fast. -Patrick
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:13 AM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
Same plane twice. Alfa P-51 mustang. I ripped the vertical stabilizer off in a flipped landing. Fixed it with epoxy, then the next flight I think the elevator control horn ripped away and it went straight in. I assume it was damaged in the first crash, but I didn't notiuce it
NJ Flyer 72 is offline Find More Posts by NJ Flyer 72
Old Mar 03, 2005, 02:55 PM
United States, AR, Fayetteville
Joined Jan 2003
880 Posts
Two in one day for me:
http://comp.uark.edu/~jasonc/01-21-2005_crashes.htm

Mountain models Tantrum (powerline) and a Sig Somethin' Extra (utility trailer). Thought the Sig was a lost cause. HOwever, both were rebuilt within 24 hours.

That is a record I am not looking to match anytime soon!

Sorry to see your loss!

Jason
bugleboy is offline Find More Posts by bugleboy
Old Mar 03, 2005, 03:57 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
Well I'd say two but one of them crashed three times before becoming unflyable!
Trogdor is offline Find More Posts by Trogdor
Old Mar 03, 2005, 04:40 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
3! Winner so far

I busted the motor off my blade, the motor off my shocky, and nose dived my pizza into the ground.

The blade had bad EPP I think, it tore quite easily. THe shocky had an AXI and torqued itself off. I replaced it with a CD rom motor.

The pizza's motor stick got shoved back. I haven't flown it since. It only needs to be pulled out and epoxied back into place.

My dad also crashed his tiger moth that day, but I didn't crash it so I stay at three.

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Mar 03, 2005, 05:18 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
On that Pico Stick, way back when I had one (same as yours, J3) I taped small wooden dowels to the leading edge and ran dental floss fly wires from the middle of the LE down to the landing gear. After that it would loop over and over and over.... It totally got rid of the wing flex.

I had a plane that was an alpha test for a kitter. I crashed that thing 4 or 5 times in one day while testing it We're talking bad crashes too. Kept C/Aing it back and trying again. Same thing with a little jet I was working on although I -only- crashed it 3 times before it was too dark to try again You get to the point where you can fix things so quick that you just shrug your shoulders when you crash
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Mar 03, 2005, 05:27 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
In R/C, only two. AJenny and a Slow Stick. But, when I was a kid, I'd go through four Guillows .049 Control Line jobs and not blink an eye. Saw one kid go through 8 C/L combat wings at one meet in New Jersey, and he still had a suitcase full of 'em. Combat Kittens I believe is what they were called.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Mar 03, 2005, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2004
486 Posts
Record is two for me...flew my 3Dfoamy F-18 into the ground doing an inverted flyby and the A-10 was written off flying into the power pole. Sad thing was, I lost my Hitec 555 micro receiver in the A-10 which really p##@$d me off. I took all the pieces home, but was ready to throw it all in that night. Thought how stupid I was to have lost two planes like that...felt like a beginner again.

Anyway, calmed myself down after a couple of days and got myself a couple of crummy GWS 6ch receivers to replace the HS 555. Fixed my F-18, not as nice anymore, and built another two to replace the A-10. Now I'm enjoying it again, but have yet to maiden the two new builds.

The accidents have made me a little warry (sp??) about flying in the parks though...

Ex.
ExtremeSkyes is offline Find More Posts by ExtremeSkyes
Old Mar 03, 2005, 07:24 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
I swear I'm not making this up.

In addition to our club field, I have a 20+ acre hay field right out the back door that the owner lets me use to fly electrics. We (friend and I, total of 4 kids) were flying my TM400, SlowStick, and Alfa Corsair. We also had my oldest sons Aerobird, my youngest sons TM, and my friends TM and his sons Firebird something-or-other, the large white one. I had made LiPo packs for everything, so we could all fly a good long while.
I launched my youngest sons TM and handed him the controls. My oldest started with his Aerobird, my friend his TM, and his son his Firebird. I launched my TM400 with the intentions of putting my wife on a buddy cord. Failed to re-set the Tx to the proper model. Dorked it on launch. Cussed for a few minutes, then switched to the Corsair. Doing a good pre-flight this time when my friend started telling his son that he needed to cut the motor because he was too high. Back and forth "Cut the motor", "SIGH, I'm fine, dad" for a good two minutes. My friend, frustrated with his son, looked away to yell at him, looked back, and started "flying" my youngest sons TM instead of his own. I saw his (my friends) TM diving for the ground and thought it was my sons. I grabbed my sons controller and pulled sharpely up to save him, ripping the wings off his TM. My friend, still tracking my sons TM as his own, pushed forward on his stick, steepening his already doomed TMs death-dive. The two TMs crashed with-in 40 feet of each other. My son got a hurt look on his face, my friend started to rant, his son ignored his plane and looked to see what all the commotion was about. He lost his by-now very high Firebird in the sky. We never saw it again. My oldest son landed his plane, and he and the wife walked back to the house. I think they were afraid that if they stayed, they would not be able to hide their laughter. Their sides were shaking violently as they walked away. Total damage:

My TM400 (repaired)
My sons TM (repaired)
My friends TM (did not attempt to repair, as it already suffered from epoxy-induced morbid obesity)
My friends sons Firebird. We never saw it again.

Total time at the field: 15 minutes, tops.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 03, 2005, 08:32 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
1-Destroyed, 1-Heavy Damage but repaired and 1 minor damage but done for the day. This happened to me once, in a matter of 30 min or so, after it had been awhile since I had been humbled. Definately brought me back to earth and took a little time to get over. Fortunatly it hasn't happened again but this hobby can be very humbling especially it seems when you feeling cocky, LOL!!!
HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:16 PM
Joined Jan 2005
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
I swear I'm not making this up.
That is a riot!
wildbill13 is offline Find More Posts by wildbill13
Old Mar 03, 2005, 10:09 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot