SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2002, 03:46 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
How do you paint solartex ?

I am working on a Fieseler Storch from the EFI plan and have been told by a couple of club members that if I am going to make that much effort (three months so far) I should make it look really scale and finish it with a painted Solartex finish rather than the usual solarfilm job (apparently too shiney)
Problem is none of these scale experts can tell me how to paint it realisticaly without using house paints and a brush.
My LHS has supplies of Solartex in white which will allow me to become an electric flight Michelangelo but I am unsure what paints/thinners will react or work well with this product .
I have colour pictures of a desert scheme Storch in sand/blue/green which I can replicate in Tamiya Colours but I am worried about the effect on the covering.
So any ideas or experience or better ideas?
Cheers Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2002, 09:32 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Solartex is used pretty extensively to cover sheeted wings on PSS slopers. The usual procedure is a heavy coat or two of automotive primer with lots of sanding, and then the finish coat on top of that.

I'm sure you don't want a heavy primer coat on an electric, or with open bay structures, but I think solartex will work with most paints. It is pretty heavy though....

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:34 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Here are a couple of my models - all covered in Solartex and painted.

Have used Humbrol Enamels intended for plastic models directly on it wand with fuelproofer on top, also used Flair Spectrum sparycans on the red/white glider with great success.

I wouldnt worry. Locate enamles and airbrush it on
Good luck on the Fieseler
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:45 PM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
Hi guys
Thanks for the replies,nice looking planes Halder.
I have used Tamiya acrylics a lot on plastic models and was hoping to use them on this model but the worry I had was the thinners might eat the covering .
By the way the club experts were promoting the benefits of Ozcover on Sunday(might also be called aerolight) it doesnt have a cloth finish but it is very light and takes paint well,I wonder what will happen if I ask them the same question three times?
Cheers Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Last edited by Large One; Mar 24, 2002 at 08:49 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 12:23 AM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Hello
I have used Solartex on several scale models. Solarfilm makes a special laquer called CLEARCOAT wich is exellent to use on Solartex as a primer. One can even use Clearcoat under the covering in the nose area of a IC powered model. It improves the adhesion between the model and the Solartex and will prevent fuel and oil to losen the Solartex.

Give the Solartex one light coat of Clearcoat, sand lightly and spray with thinned Humbrol enamel. If the model is a "Slimer" give it a coat of clear fuel profer.

Christer
Haninge MFK, Sweden
Christer Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Christer Lagerstedt
Old Mar 25, 2002, 12:53 AM
Torrance, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
139 Posts
Silk & Dope?

Rich,

If there is no foam involved in an open bay wing or empanage structure, why don't you cover it using silk and dope. It would be much lighter than Solartex and would look very scale like if the original ship was fabric covered.

It is not that hard to do. Do you have anyone in your club that has had experience with silk or silkspan covering jobs?

Regards,

Steve
Steve Diebolt is offline Find More Posts by Steve Diebolt
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:07 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,105 Posts
1. Cover model in white/natural Solartex.
2. Apply one thinned coat of Solarfilm Clearcoat.
3. Paint model with Humbrol Acrylics.
4. Stand back and admire!

Gordon
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling