HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2001, 11:13 AM
IFOs & Zagis - love 'em!!
Bothell (Seattle), WA USA
Joined Nov 1999
164 Posts
Micro servos

I'm planning on buying some more micro servos and trying to decide between the cirrus CS10 or the Hitec HS50, any comments?
They will be used in slowflyers and small HLG's.

sloflyer is offline Find More Posts by sloflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2001, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi My experience with Cirrus(GWS) With Hitec Better qc I think and materials. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old May 04, 2001, 11:29 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Don't forget the JR NES-241 and the new Airtronic something-something-091. I think the 091 can be had for about 20.00(wholesale is about 16.00)

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 04, 2001, 01:11 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
If power consumption is an issue, go with the HS-50's. They draw much less power than the CS-10's.

If your planes are light the power of either will be fine. We fly 5 lb planes with 30 oz servos, so a 8 oz servo on a 10 oz plane has lots of excess power!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 04, 2001, 03:13 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,533 Posts
I'll ditto Fred on current consumption. As to out-door use, I use HS-50's in a DJ Aerotech Nymph (30" mosquito class) HLG. With no problems. I use the HS-55's (a few grams heavier) in RC/RG models - they handle 120 mph boosts just fine.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old May 04, 2001, 05:31 PM
Quebec, QC, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gnofliwr:
I'll ditto Fred on current consumption. As to out-door use, I use HS-50's in a DJ Aerotech Nymph (30" mosquito class) HLG. With no problems. I use the HS-55's (a few grams heavier) in RC/RG models - they handle 120 mph boosts just fine.- Roger
I'd second, or is that third this comment. The HS50s also have the benefit of having a flat on the output shaft and a matching one on the output gear. The Cirrus servos are press-fit which is fine until the gear gets loose.

I use HS50s for very light outdoor planes too but favor the HS55s for most outdoor stuff (and thing that's S280 or larger but smaller than a Cobalt 05) to get a bit more control surface moving power and because they're just cheaper. The extra bits of grams hardly matter in these models.

I was digging through my servo box yesterday and realized that the "big" servos I was moving out of the way while looking for smaller ones were Hitec HS80s. Times change.

Cheers --- Larry
Larry Marshall is offline Find More Posts by Larry Marshall
Old May 04, 2001, 06:35 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Hitec whatever. Got a problem, they make it right. Big corporations have learned that bending over to help a customer yields big payback in future sales and "for free" advertisement. Hitec must have gone to that seminar several times...that's enough "free" advertisement from me.. ....let's go fly.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 05, 2001, 12:08 AM
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Joined Mar 2001
70 Posts
I would be cautious about using either of these on an outdoor model. They are REALLY small and quite fragile. IMHO I would be more inclined to step up a bit in size. The torque on these small servos is also quite weak compared to the larger ones.
PeteC is offline Find More Posts by PeteC