HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2005, 04:47 PM
ottawa,ont
Joined Feb 2004
66 Posts
West Wings J3 rc conversion help

Help!!!
Has anybody seen one of these airplanes.
I have a kit I bought 5 years ago(they still make them)and want to convert if to 3 channel rc.I bought some blue bird 303, 4 gram servos,blue bird reciever, 4 grams, axi 2204-54 and some 450 e-tec packs.
The axi wont fit into the nose so I may have to convert it to a newer version of the cub with concealed engine.
If any one has heard of any conversions or lead me to some source of info on these plane I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Jan
jedgar is offline Find More Posts by jedgar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2005, 11:31 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,202 Posts
Jegjar, I am in the process of covering mine now. I know there have been several conversions done in these forums. I built mine stock except for changing the insidence on the horz. stab. Way too much positive in my opinion for anything other than rubber power. I am using a GWS LPS gearbox with a feiago 22mm brushless. Also used the new 303 bluebirds and a Jeti 4 amp controller. Covering is yellow solite and I am also using trexler wheels for that cub look. Made a removable hatch on bottom of fuse. for access to servos and battery. I am also using the Etec 450 lipoly. I also made the built up cowl removable held on with magnets. The weight will be right at 5 oz or below. How's that for a cub with a 35 inch WS. Don't know how to post pics yet, can't get them small enough to post?

Scott
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 03, 2005, 04:52 AM
ottawa,ont
Joined Feb 2004
66 Posts
Thanks Scott,
I think that I am going down the same road as yours.
Going to use trexler wheels as well for that tundra cub look.
I was going to use my feigao 12mm in an lps as well but
thought it would not give enough power.I am inspired by the fact that you will end up at 5oz,I was shooting for 7-8.
I've done many searches and cannot find anything on this
particular model. Any hints on how to find any info on west wings
Cub conversions????
Thanks very much , Jan
jedgar is offline Find More Posts by jedgar
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:17 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,202 Posts
The LPS is a little heavier than the IPS. The LPS uses a small dowel mount instead of a stick mount and I am using the new smaller 22mm feigao. Very easy to mount and get the correct amount of down thrust. I think my Cub is going to be way overpowered with this setup. A regular LPS gearbox with the stock brushed motor would be plenty of power for this airframe. I just love brushless and the little Jeti controller weighs nothing. There is not alot of info on this model, just a few threads as I remember. Just do a search on the whole site for west wings and look for the thread.

Scott
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub