SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:27 AM
Pesky Landings!
Abergele, North Wales, UK
Joined Apr 2004
1,112 Posts
Atmel AVR programming

Hi all!

I'm having a few problems programming an Atmel Mega16 processor with some new code. I've currently only got a secondhand programmer that was built by a chap I used to work with, and it uses the serial programming method (ISP i think it is called). For some reason I just cannot get it to work.

So, i am after a decent programmer that can handle a range of Atmel AVR chips (especially the Mega16!). I've looked at the STK500 starter kit from atmel, and this looks to be pretty flexible. not only can I parallel program (High voltage) I also get the opportunity to program using ISP. And on top of that, a few little switches and leds to play with too

Has anyone used one of these boards before, or are there better things to be buying? if anyone knows any cheap sources of this board, can you let me know? they must be able to Ship to the Uk if possible too!

Cheers
Andy
bigandy is offline Find More Posts by bigandy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2005, 10:57 AM
Winnipeg, MB
Joined Jan 2005
24 Posts
I bought an AVRISP a couple of weeks ago - but it gave me nothing but trouble! I couldn't get it to program anything. So I gave in and bought an STK500, and it has been working great. It will program most DIP package AVR chips, and there is a daughter board that will program some of the surface mount chips as well. I would recommed the STK500.
wowo44 is offline Find More Posts by wowo44
Old Mar 02, 2005, 01:14 PM
Pesky Landings!
Joined Apr 2004
1,112 Posts
It sounds pretty good to me too! I'm struggling to find any cheap suppliers though. most places I can find in the uk want to sell it for the best part of 100! there must be somewhere cheaper than that ???

Cheers
Andy
Old Mar 02, 2005, 01:23 PM
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Joined Jul 2003
41 Posts
http://uk.digikey.com/scripts/DkSear...K&Cat=32310219

For a real cheap one - www.olimex.com

Best regards,
IanS
IanS is offline Find More Posts by IanS
Old Mar 02, 2005, 03:15 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
Hi,

I use for all my projects the AVR ISP (STK200/300) parallel port interface, as it is shown at: http://www.lancos.com/prog.html.
For programming I use ponyprog from here: http://www.lancos.com/ppwin95.html

The program works with Win98, Win2000 and Win-XP and I must say, I'm very satisfied.

The parts for the AVR ISP I found in my boxes with spare parts

quax
quax is online now Find More Posts by quax
Old Mar 02, 2005, 04:06 PM
Pesky Landings!
Joined Apr 2004
1,112 Posts
Quax,

Is that programmer able to set and reset all the fuse bits? I'm not to hot on AVR chips, but I think that you can only set certain fuses when using a certain type of programming interface?

Apart from that it looks incredibly simple!

Cheers
Andy
Old Mar 03, 2005, 04:21 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
Andy,

I never missed any programming functions. Meanwhile the ponyprog knows also the ATtiny2313 device, the only thing I missed.

Some devices with only a few pins may allow to use reset as an I/O pin. To reprogram such devices I think the simple STK200/300 is not sufficient. For my projects I never had problems. E.g. I programmed the fuses for an ATmega8 device for the internal 8 MHz usage and made some tests with code protection. The code was not readable, but the chip could be erased and reprogrammed.

But with my open source BL-controller there is no need for code protection, it was only for test purposes

Regards
Bernhard
Old Mar 04, 2005, 02:46 PM
Pesky Landings!
Joined Apr 2004
1,112 Posts
Cheers for the reply Bernhard.

I'm going to have a good look into building one of these pony prog interface thingies. I've not quite got my head around exactly what is needed in terms of hardware though yet, but the software side of things looks incredibly simple from the website you linked to!

Would you be so kind as to correct me if my understanding is wrong please?

Basically (as I understand it) I have my code that I want to write to my AVR chip (mega 16 in this case). This is in a hex format. I load this up into the ponyprog software. I have the STK200/300 interface (as shown on the pony prog website) connected to my parallel port. This is in turn connected to my target AVR chip, in circuit, using the connections shown on the website. The chip is then programmed from the pony prog software via the interface. job done?!

On a side note, I'm pretty interested in your open source BL controller project! I think I am going to have to spend a few days reading that thread now!

Cheers
Andy.
Old Mar 05, 2005, 05:10 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
Hi Andy,

yes I can say, it's as simple, as you describe. The power for the STK must come from the development board or an extra power supply.

The thread holds lots of information. For my controller here's my homepage
http://home.versanet.de/~b-konze/

Regards
Bernhard
Old Mar 06, 2005, 02:02 AM
Joined Sep 2004
98 Posts
If somebody is interested in full professional version of K*i*e*l software for AVRs, please contact me... Also I just need few AVR micocontrollers to make a PPM decoder!
charles0198 is offline Find More Posts by charles0198
Old Mar 06, 2005, 03:00 PM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy
Cheers for the reply Bernhard.

I'm going to have a good look into building one of these pony prog interface thingies.

Basically (as I understand it) I have my code that I want to write to my AVR chip (mega 16 in this case). This is in a hex format. I load this up into the ponyprog software. I have the STK200/300 interface (as shown on the pony prog website) connected to my parallel port. This is in turn connected to my target AVR chip, in circuit, using the connections shown on the website. The chip is then programmed from the pony prog software via the interface. job done?!

Andy.
You got it.......

As for the PP programmer I built one, some while back for someone,and can vouch for it...works well.
I still have the pcb drawing in Eagle lite if you want it
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old Oct 01, 2006, 09:04 AM
Joined Oct 2006
1 Posts
PCB Drawing for Pony Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippie
You got it.......

As for the PP programmer I built one, some while back for someone,and can vouch for it...works well.
I still have the pcb drawing in Eagle lite if you want it
Can yoy send me a copy of the PCB Drawing for Pony Programmer/
thanks in advance!
BarneyBear is offline Find More Posts by BarneyBear
Old Oct 01, 2006, 10:46 AM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
Barney, pm me your email addy..please
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old Oct 05, 2006, 09:46 AM
PDK
Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
507 Posts
Me too please Chippie,

I have been using the STK500 boards at my local University and they are great. Expensive though. I would like to use the PP one for my home projects though.

All the best
Phil
PDK is offline Find More Posts by PDK