Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 01, 2005, 09:52 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
What stuff on sailing day?

Hope to have my first boat ready to sail by end of April - there should be some open water around here by then. It's 37" long, about 10lb finished weight - Billing Calypso.
What stuff do you need when you sail? Tools, towels, a stand for the boat?
Any advice on the first time in open water?
Maybe paranoid, but if it goes dead out in the water, any tricks on retrieving (I don't have a boat).
Already tub tested - no leaks even with both props at full speed.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2005, 10:05 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,741 Posts
One of the best retreival devices consists of a tennis ball and a Zebco fishing reel. The tennis ball is attached to the end of the fish line. If the boat dies, throw the tennis ball over and beyond the boat, so the fish line falls over the boat. Then reel the line in.

Here's what I carry in my boat box: fuses for the ESC; 2 small screwdrivers, Philips head and slotted; small Crescent wrench; SAE and Metric allen wrenches; wire cutters; electricians tape; WD-40 or some other dielectric water displacing compound; a towel; a small spare parts box with screws, prop nuts, lead weights with adhesive backing; forceps; a turkey baster or model airplane fuel bulb (for dewatering in tight spots); CA glue; and a utility knife. My box also has compartments for 3 radios, battery charger, and NiCads.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Mar 02, 2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:46 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
And a camera. Don't forget the camera.
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2005, 09:01 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
Make up a tool kit that includes just those items needed to service your model(s)... I have a wrench for the prop nut, several long hex drivers for all the socket head screws I like to use, etc.
A small, stable folding table.
Folding camp chair.
Dry socks ;-)

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 02, 2005, 12:29 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,979 Posts
Dont forget the big brimmed straw hat and sunglasses! You can really get roasted, pond side if you aren't careful!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 02, 2005, 06:39 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
you might need a case, to transport so you don't damage to and from the water, witch I have not done yet. MY next project.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Mar 02, 2005, 07:46 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
Something else newcomers might not think of- a suitable cradle for transporting the boat in the car. When I first drove some distance with my wood hulled tug in the back of a Cherokee going over Michigan potholes, I near to died listening to the boat going BANG! BANG! on it's pretty but oh so hard display cradle. I now use a transport cradle, looks like a stretcher with wooden sides and blocks of foam rubber to hold the boat. At the lake, it goes into the pretty cradle on top of my folding table.
You can get carried away... the ultimate is a cushioned cradle inside a packing crate. If you travel to regattas, with multiple boats, tool boxes, radios, suitcases, and all the other traveler's detritus, you'll be happy for the protection. Might also need a van!
Pat M
Go to the Regatta!
http://michiganmodelboats.com/2005GLSMBSR
Old Mar 02, 2005, 09:30 PM
Star Line Hydro-Jet Ferry
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Joined Feb 2005
234 Posts
Pat I couldnt agree more about the potholes (going to the same places you do I sure know how BAD they can be!!!!) Stuff a crate full o' towels if you have to. Protect the boats!! Bring some repair stuff, CA is a must, lawn chair, bottle of refreshment

PS-CG Bob, Love the Boatnerd Sticker on your repair kit!
Jeff G is offline Find More Posts by Jeff G
Old Mar 03, 2005, 03:16 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
Wow - thanks for all the answers. The tennis ball on a fishing reel is great!
I lifted the Calypso with all the batts, mechanicals, electronics and weights in it - very heavy - a drop would be disaster. So a good padded carrying case/cradle is a must. Any good/easy designs out there?
Thanks again.
Old May 08, 2005, 11:05 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
Hillbilly Packing Crate

IMHO, the finest new products in recent years are:
a) those fold-up field chairs we all use at the lake, and
b) those unbiquitous plastic storage tubs that come in all sizes at the local hardware store. I've even taken to building custom sized shelving just to accommodate the plastic tubs, a lot easier than building drawers and such.

Only problem- the darn things aren't shaped right for most of my boats! And I really need something that will let me shove lots of gear in the back of the car without fear of dinging up the gunwales and masts and such.

Solution: The Hillbilly Packing Crate!
Take two suitable tubs, cut along the dotted line, and patch them together with fish plates- thin sheet sandwiching the plastic, held together with pop-rivets in this case. Glue in some chunks of foam to support the hull, pop the lid on, and you're ready to go anywhere!

Pat M
Old May 08, 2005, 11:24 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,101 Posts
I made a lifting cradle for my boats because I have disabilities and getting on my knees to lower a boat down into the water 12" below ground level at my pond was just impossible for me anymore. I now recommend this type of launching/retreiving cradle to anyone because it makes getting the boat in and out of the water so much easier!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 08, 2005, 08:23 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Down here, a snakebite kit is a good idea; you could encounter Mr. NoHips (a water moccasin) and he can be in a foul mood. In a small pond near our local airport, there was a six foot or so alligator in residence. It's a good idea to keep one eye on your boat and the other on your surroundings.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old May 09, 2005, 03:15 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
DanL,
For one of my heavy boats I use a pair of rope 'slings' (couple of fairly large sized loops, one going under the stern, the other the bow) to get the boat in the water. Not exactly the prettiest things, but they work fine. I also transport the boat in the back of my pickup, a few bags of sand used for 'cradles'. The boat weighs something like 10-15 pounds, the bags and slings make it easier to transport and get in/out of the water.
I don't carry a 'tool box' for the boats, do have handy tools in the truck though. Couple of the 'right' sized screw drivers, pocket knife, pliers, etc. Most times, when I have problems, I just cuss a little and go home to fix it. [The pond I use is in town so it isn't that long of a trip to/from, pond/home.] Some times I wish I had a crane on the truck, but...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old May 09, 2005, 08:10 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940
a water moccasin...a six foot or so alligator

I guess thats the trade-off to having 5 months of ice on the pond. Mind you, we do get some pretty aggressive chipmunks up here .

Ray
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2005, 12:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
If you wear reading glasses (or sunglasses), don't put em in your shirt pocket when you bend over to get your boat (don't ask) - or make sure you take along a long handled net....