HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2005, 05:09 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
What size servo should I use?

I just had a servo go south on me in my eStarter. I'm thinking it was maybe too small, but I'm not sure. It was installed as a single aileron servo. I thought that perhaps it got hung up in the wiring after a nose in or something like that and stripped the gears.

Is there an easy way of figuring out how much torque you need for a particular function?

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2005, 05:14 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
On an e-starter it is unlikely you used too small a servo. Gears on the small servos are tiny, and they strip fairly easliy.

You can go to this site to check, but by my guess you would need a servo with 1.6oz of torque - anything can do that!

http://www.mbone.rchomepage.com/serv...calculator.htm

Go get a new gearset replace the gears and make sure the linkage is slop free and that the ailerons work freely.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2005, 05:59 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Thanks for the link. Very handy. I guess I can put just about anything in there from the looks of it.

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Mar 02, 2005, 09:29 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Yep - I remember the days of standard servos being 30in/oz of torque and we used them for everything - one on ailerons on .60 size (7-10lb) ships was fine.

Today the kit manufactures and the radio manufactures are owned by the same parents and they want a servo on every half of a surface. Not bad when the high dollar digital stuff runs $70 a pop. I have seen planes where the servo cost exceeded the airframe cost!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member