Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 01, 2005, 05:11 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
about all the spammers and trollers

It's a long rant, probably very boring, but read it ALL if you read one line, and tell me what you guys think.

This was taken from the : Time to do something to limit access to the for sale forums and rather than clutter that thread up with an OT, I thought I'd start another, and given I need to up my share of suggestions to complaints ratio, here goes:

First the spammers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
I'm referring to "new" members. Spammers sign up, blast the site with offensive or inappropriate links, then leave. Killing the user does nothing to prevent them from repeating the offense. Requiring, say, 50 on-topic posts first would, however.
..a
How about making the sign up process a little longer, say overnight, which MAY help against what Andy is saying.

Most of the people that come here tend to be here for the long haul anyway, so if for example someone wanted to sign up, they would go through the usual stuff, then an email is sent to them confirming the registration, say 24 hours later, and THEN they have the ability to post.

This is how it is done (or was when I signed up) at one of the Aircraft photograpy sites (I think it was jetphotos.net) This may not stop it?, but I'm sure if I wanted to spam a place that I knew was going to get killed off soon enough anyway, I would be looking for sites that would allow me instant acccess rather than one that takes 24 hours to activate.

This would also give the new user time to check out the site and get more of an idea of how it is run and give them the jist as to what is OK and what is not acceptable, before they post. If they do spam and the mods kill them off, it will take another day to sign up, and surely that's gotta stop a lot of it?

I must admit I have noticed some of the mods here are copping a hard time lately and seem to be not as "friendly" or as easy going as I remember they used to be, (look at Mark Woods avatar, he used to have a pic of him having fun flying his plane, now it looks as though he just wants to open up with an ouzi!!) and this reflects in the way the WHOLE site feels, so anything that reduces the load on them can only be a good thing.

I spent some time over at Rc universe whilst you guys where "doing maintenance" and I gotta say, it "seems" less stressed than this place, and that's weird, 'cause the last time I was there (long time ago) it was anything but and this place had it going on,which is why I landed here in the first place, it still does for sure, but could be better IMHO.

Anyhow, do you think making the registration a longer process would help combat the spammers? Combine this with what Andy said, I think it would. Although I don't know how you could stop someone posting a link in a thread in the first place?

Now to the trollers:

As far as trolling goes, well getting rid of religion and political discussions would help a lot methinks. Not too many trollers can have fun with a motor combo or aerodynamic thread, (except tic and his famous zagi bashing trolls ) but use the word "jesus" or "george dubya" in the thread and awaaay it goes.
Forget the whole idea of: "if we give them a place to go and discuss they will keep it out of the other forums" I think it's baloney as I notice that the ones that argue big in the OT forums seem to still dislike each other in the normal forums and it may (a guess) even limit what useful info they may come out with in a normal thread if these two (or a hundred and two of 'em) hadn't gotten into a stoush over some crap in the first place.

I got sucked in to some of these OT discussions when I first came here, but I don't bother anymore. I still enjoy the OT threads, but not when it comes to these two topics. I don't even open them. Anyone who posts a thread like "george does this" or "jesus does that" IS trolling in my eyes, as it only ends up in an argument that gets edited and warnings and the eventual padlock.
So you tell me, what is the ADVANTAGE of having these type of discussions on what is really a "RC toy forum" ?? There are plenty of religious and political discussion boards that thrive on just that, so leave it to them.

One more thing:

Whilst it is nice to get more and more new users here, priority MUST be made to ensure the decent long termers STAY, for that is what makes this place as healthy as it is. When I started here for example, One thing that struck me was all these people with join dates LONG ago, and many many posts under their belt, and that also made me think that this place was the "go" for info.

Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2005, 07:04 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The solution is to simply require registered email addresses, vs. anonymous, for initial signup. Everyone here has an ISP, and access to such a mailbox. Once registered, you can change it to an anonymous one if you wish, but not until then.
Unfortunatley, the management is against this change, so we live with the problem.
I've asked if "new members" could be prohibited from attaching or embedding images, and posting URL's. That would help, in some cases..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 01, 2005, 11:31 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
The solution is to simply require registered email addresses, vs. anonymous, for initial signup. Everyone here has an ISP, and access to such a mailbox. Once registered, you can change it to an anonymous one if you wish, but not until then.
Unfortunatley, the management is against this change, so we live with the problem.
Andy,

I don't think that will fix the problem because there are many thousands of places where you can get a free email address and someone who is intent on spamming will have no trouble securing one.

A policy like the one you suggest would be a frustration for dozens of people each day as they try to sign up with the email address they use the most.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Mar 01, 2005, 11:55 AM
Morbid Saint
Joined Dec 2003
114 Posts
Actually 99.9 % of it comes from the top 10 anonymous email hosts which include Yahoo,Hotmail,Google and a few other of the most abused anonymous mail systems. Also the majority of the forum spammers are doing so using bots so if the emails it has in its list dont work or is blocked the bot just moves onto the next forum in its VB forum spam list.

Anonymous email blocking lists are easy to come by on the net and as simple to add to the forums as a copy and paste even if it is thousands .

Right now spamming RCgroups would be a very easy prospect for someone spamming forums and require little effort on the spammers part. If you make it harder for them to do so no matter how you go about making it harder. Blocking anonymous email hosts, changing the registration so it is not a standard VB forum registration to halt bots. It makes it not worth their effort hence they will move on to another easy target.

I say everyone has an email or emails given to them by their isp. No reason they couldn't use it to register here. You only ever have to register as a new user once.

It would also help halt the use of sham accounts. But heh, I dont have to deal with it anymore here, but thought it is a good topic for discussion and input from the other members here. I know Jim, Andy and the other mods here have already heard this from me more than once well heh quite a few times awhile back
M_Saint is offline Find More Posts by M_Saint
Old Mar 01, 2005, 10:39 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
Quote:
A policy like the one you suggest would be a frustration for dozens of people each day as they try to sign up with the email address they use the most
I don't understand this comment Jim I used a hotmail account when I joined, but that was only 'cause I was a bit paranoid about spam myself (which I must say is none from you guys BTW.) Is this what you mean?

Quote:
changing the registration so it is not a standard VB forum registration to halt bots. It makes it not worth their effort hence they will move on to another easy target.
This is along my way of thinking, make it too hard/ difficult for them to bother with the site in the first place. That was my line of thought about having a 24 hour process to sign up.

I remember one site that had an onscreen scrambled code that you had to type in to register, that was they say to avoid the bots doing their thing.

If you don't think it's a problem worth worrying about, fine, but it seems there has been a spamming problem for a while, and if not for the mods getting onto it via reports or them seeing it themselves, there would be much more of it.
Quote:
You only ever have to register as a new user once
Yeah, and it SHOULD only be once, and using a registered email adress would help identify who's who far better than the anonymous email adresses.
I don't like the idea that "rcBuff" could also be "rcFluff" and even "rcGuff" (apologies to those that may be named such !) There surely is no reason that one user can be allowed to have more than one account in the first place.....is there? It surely would have picked up on that famous "shilling vendor" a lot sooner.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Last edited by gouch; Mar 01, 2005 at 10:45 PM.