Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 07, 2005, 07:56 PM
AMA 832476
Chandler AZ
Joined Jan 2004
326 Posts
Ummm.

I have nothing against wings but I think birdofprey has got it. I fly gas and electric. One gas flyer would go thru a roof if I lost control of it so I do the responsible thing and fly it where I have LOTS of room. I don't think I would even fly it at some of the smaller gas parks. It just gets away too fast. The park is not been clasified as a RC park as it is. I certainly couldn't take a nitro truck and run it accross the street from my house. kids play over there (hide and seek,etc.). I personally don't want to be bannwed from putting up my planes over there. All it takes is one to ruin it for everyone. Sorry but that's my .02.

Can't we all just get along!
shzaz28 is offline Find More Posts by shzaz28
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2005, 02:15 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2004
476 Posts
I'm running out of places to fly my wing. I have been politely asked to fly somewhere else at 2 different locations. I HAVE NOT been asked to not fly my wing at CB. This is not the only place to fly my wing but sometimes it is the only convenient place to fly my wing.

I have absolutely no plans what-so-ever to stop flying my flying wing at CB or to modify it so that it makes less noise. If I move the motor back away from the trailing edge, it is still going to be too loud for some of you and it will mess up my CG, not to mention my thrust angle. Even if I did decide to stop flying my wing there, I'm not the only wing pilot in the east valley. This is one of the last spots where I have nice grass to land my wing on. It is a very expensive setup and I don't want to land it in dirt or weeds. Don't forget it has no landing gear and I land it on its belly.

It sound great to tell me to get lost and go fly some-where-else but where? What do I do when they tell me to fly somewhere else at my new spot? I'm tired of looking around all the time for places to fly.

Here is the deal...I'm not leaving. So that means that you better stop fighting for YOUR field (CB) and start fighting for OUR field (CB), wing pilots included. Like it or not we are in this together.

I am willing, however to do what ever I can to keep OUR field open.
1. Door to door signature campaign.
2. Research about area noise polution like cars, planes, freeways etc...
3. Preperation of documentation to present at city council meetings.
4. Seeking out community advocates from the neighborhood to go to bat for us.

I don't believe that we are as helpless as some have led us all to believe.

Feel free to discuss any of this with me at the field.

Rich
asmokindeal is offline Find More Posts by asmokindeal
Old Mar 08, 2005, 10:48 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,217 Posts
Rich - I've heard your wing, and it's fine. It is NOT a nuisance or part of the problem (in my humble opinion).

But for wings that are marginal, trimming 1/2 - 1 inch of trailing edge foam near the prop will do the trick. This will not alter the CG, but will reduce the harmonics of the prop backwash slapping against the trailing edge.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Mar 09, 2005, 05:07 PM
Joined Sep 2004
14 Posts
Thude Park (Chandler Bowl)

Hello Chandler Bowl flyers. My name is Mickey Ohland, Park Planning Superintendent for the City of Chandler. It has been a while since I last posted on this site and from the looks and sounds of some of the threads posted, I think it would be helpful if I gave you all an update on the status of the request to allow electric r/c aircraft to be flown at Thude Park (Chandler Bowl).

Recently the Chandler City Code was amended to recognize R/C activities within City of Chandler parks. The following was added to the Code: C. Golfing, model rockets, model remote control models, disc golf, equestrian use and archery are allowed only as part of an organized City program, or in an area specifically designated for these purposes.

Please note, the Code now states that remote control models are ONLY allowed in areas specifically designated for this use. Recently staff identified an area within Thude Park that is now designated for electric R/C model aircraft ONLY. On Thursday, March 10, 2005 the following rules will posted at Thude Park regarding the use of remote control electric models within this park. These rules have been given to the Chandler Park Rangers as well and will be enforced.

THUDE PARK ELECTRIC R/C AIRPLANE RULES

·This is a use at your own risk facility. By using this facility, you are accepting all risks relating to this activity.

·The designated area at Thude Park is to be used for the operation of electric powered model aircraft ONLY. No gas powered planes or model rockets allowed.

·No electric rear thrust motors allowed.

·Frequency control is the responsibility of the pilots.

·All AMA National Safety Rules apply. (www.modelaircraft.org) (765-287-1256)

·Flight area boundaries: The flight area is bounded by poles located on each of the four corners of the designated flight area. AT NO TIME SHOULD MODEL AIRCRAFT BE FLOWN OVER PARK USERS, GALVESTON STREET, 101 FREEWAY AND OR ACCESS ROAD, HOUSES, APARTMENTS, OR THE JOGGING PATH.

·All spectators must stay outside of the Flight area. Pilots MUST fly planes from the bottom of the retention basin.

·All model airplanes flown at this site MUST have the pilots name and address on or in the model.

·City of Chandler scheduled programs and or events have priority use of this park.

·No special events are allowed without prior City of Chandler approval.

·No flying will be allowed during maintenance activities within the flight area boundaries.

·Please be considerate and good neighbors to the surrounding residents. Please do not fly loud aircraft.

·These rules are in accordance with the Chandler City Code, Chapter 31-2.3.

In addition to the various rules being posted, four (4) poles will be installed in the bottom of the basin identifying the flight area boundary. At no time should planes be flown outside this boundary.

At the present time, Thude Park is the only City of Chandler Park that has been designated for r/c use. This designation has been given on a trial bases. City staff will continue to evaluate this designation and make appropriate changes as deemed necessary.

It is important for you as flyers to know that the City has received numerous complaint calls regarding this activity in the park. The majority of the complaints deal with noise and airplanes flying over the apartments and/or houses. The City of Chandler wants this activity to be a positive one. Please do your part to make sure this endeavor is a success and remember that it only takes one person breaking the rules to ruin a good thing for the masses.

In an attemp to clear some assumptions up, last week we received a call regarding the amount of noise a plane was making at the park. Upon my arrival, there was only one person flying at the park and the plane did make a fair amount of noise. I asked the young man not to fly that particular plane/set up at the park due to the sensitivity of the adjacent neighbors and noise. The young man was very polite and acknowledged my request. Unlike some have stated in earlier threads, this complaint and request was based solely on the amount of noise that was being generated, NOT the plane itself.

As you have probably already noticed, the third rule listed indicates “No electric rear thrust motors allowed”. This rule has been added to help eliminate the noise conflict, not a particular type of plane. From being out at Thude Park and talking to various flyers, it is very evident that this type of motor set-up generates more noise than the traditional motor set-ups.

As I mentioned earlier, the City of Chandler wants this activity to succeed and to be a positive one. Everybody must understand that the designation of Thude Park for electric r/c airplanes is only on a TRIAL bases. If the City continues to receive calls regarding noise and unsafe flying, this designation can be taken away just as fast as it was given.

Please take these rules to heart and make sure you are courteous and considerate to the adjacent neighbors.

I would like to thank Wes DeCou of the AMA for all the help he has given me during the City's analysis of this issue.

Sincerely,
Mickey Ohland
Park Planning Superintendent, City of Chandler
City of Chandler is offline Find More Posts by City of Chandler
Old Mar 09, 2005, 05:33 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,223 Posts
Mickey,

Thank you and everyone involved that made this a success! Now maybe this will be a model for other cities to follow and we can end up with even more places to fly. This is a great first step.
I know the "no rear thrust" rule will bring about a lot of protests. It's a shame because not all of them are obnoxiously noisy. Maybe let the noise issue be policed by the pilots? Offenders would have to leave or make changes to their plane. I know mine is too loud so it will stay at home. Just a thought before this becomes a firestorm.
I like having some structure and rules in place. I know I'm going to start flying there more often now. I think it's going to be much safer.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Mar 09, 2005, 05:35 PM View Post
SlowRider
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while SlowRider edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 09, 2005, 06:20 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
The best part of the new rules are that they were adressed right here in the wing fourmn where 99% of our aircraft are pushers.After all this contoversey who wants to fly there anyways ,We would never here the end of it if we did ,it is nice to be singled out and spanked.Lol
Chris
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Mar 09, 2005, 07:52 PM
Chandler Stellar, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
394 Posts
He posted it in the Chandler bowl forum as well. I imagine it was only posted here due to all the fuss.
rkroel is offline Find More Posts by rkroel
Old Mar 09, 2005, 09:22 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
[QUOTE=As you have probably already noticed, the third rule listed indicates “No electric rear thrust motors allowed”. This rule has been added to help eliminate the noise conflict, not a particular type of plane. From being out at Thude Park and talking to various flyers, it is very evident that this type of motor set-up generates more noise than the traditional motor set-ups.

Sincerely,
Mickey Ohland
Park Planning Superintendent, City of Chandler[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiousity, how much noise does a Wingo or a Multiplex Easy Star generate .....???

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Mar 09, 2005, 09:31 PM
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
I guess the Hobby Zone 'birds are out of luck also.....
Old Mar 09, 2005, 09:34 PM
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Too bad the Slowsticks' not a pusher, we could eliminate 75% of the beginners.....
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:03 PM
Wing Destroyer
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: N/A. It is temporarily hidden while Wing Destroyer edits it.
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:11 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Destroyer
So "no rear thrust motors" as in "pushers" as in all flying wings, are banned?
!@#$!!!!!
Wing destroyer we are having a mini pusher fest on sunday And all other aircraft are welcome Too.We love to have anyone who wants to come.We will find a place on the east side.Any one have any suggestions for a location on sunday?
Chris
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:16 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined May 2004
186 Posts
Sorry. I don't believe i will be able to make it. I'll try. I don't know of any places on your side of town, but i do have a place here on the west side. But if you get more details for when and where, send me a pm.

thanks.
Wing Destroyer is offline Find More Posts by Wing Destroyer
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:26 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
I will let you know.Where doya fly on the WESIEED Fellow pusher?
Chris
Closed Thread