HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2005, 09:14 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
Repaired Servo shipped back but declared too much

Hi,

Don't know if this happened to you but I sent in a HS-55 for repair. Hitec return the servo but declared it's value of $100.00 usd.

Canada customs dinged me for 14 percent of the value plus $5.00 cdn for the privilege of collecting the tax.

Sent Hitec an E-mail about the mistake hopefully I will be offered a refund.

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:56 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,529 Posts
Hitec won't refund but if they send a letter indicating an error was made in their declaration you may be able to ask for a refund from Customs.
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but Hitec owes you nothing. You should have probably refused the delivery and contacted Hitec.
BTW it probably was supposed to be 1.00US and may have been that. I believe that is the value they declared on the last servo I had worked on(replaced) under warrantee. You sure CP and you didn't miss the . ?
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:26 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
Hi 4*60,

I sent Hitec an E-mail waiting for a response.

True...I should have refused the package.

Checked the green declaration form again and says $100 usd written in ink.

I bet the Hitec Shipper made a typo...I do recall the last servo I received back from repair was declared a value of $1.00 usd.

On the back of the cdn tax form...you have the option of asking the cdn customs for a refund due to a missed declared value. I will be doing this as well.

Thanks,

Gord.
Old Mar 02, 2005, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
192 Posts
Hitec did the same thing to me as well. I called canada customs and they said Hitec should have put "warranty repaired radio" on my invoice instead of just "repaired radio" like they did. If they did that no taxes would be charged. I was going to refuse the shipment but Customs Canada said to just pay it and ask Hitec for an official receipt stating that is in fact a warranty repair. I should return the customs form with the receipt for a refund that will take 8 weeks to get!!

You would figure that Hitec does enough warranty returns to understand how customs works and put down in the declaration that it is in fact a Warranty Repair return and not an actual sale.

I was dinged $23.50 for my Optic 6 repair!!

What a pain!
jhc1- is offline Find More Posts by jhc1-
Old Mar 02, 2005, 12:27 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
I am still waiting for a response from Hitec regarding this issue. If I don't hear anything within a few days. Will send another e-mail to Hitec.

Will be sending Canada Customs a refund request.

jhc1 - thanks for your story.

Regards,

Gord.
Old Mar 02, 2005, 12:48 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
303 Posts
jhc1- if you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to ship it to Hitec?
solo_clipper is offline Find More Posts by solo_clipper
Old Mar 02, 2005, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2004
192 Posts
$23 via expedited. I emailed Hitec as well requesting an official receipt stating explicitly that the optic 6 was a warranty repair return.

Still no reply but i just sent the email this morning. Will give them 24 hours to respond then send another email.

James
Old Mar 02, 2005, 03:06 PM
Woodinville, WA USA
Joined Jul 2001
390 Posts
Who collected your money? I would have asked whoever it was to supervise you as you opened the package, pulled out the warranty repair ticket to prove your case and be done with it. I would think that the custom's nazis have some process in place to undo their own errors.

Oh, I forgot! it's the government. They NEVER make errors :-)
echaban is offline Find More Posts by echaban
Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
192 Posts
In this case the customs didn't make the error. It was hitec.
Old Mar 04, 2005, 06:04 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
Received an e-mail from Hitec this morning...they can't refund my money but they are sending out a brand new HS-56 and will make sure it's declared so I don't pay a dime.

I think this is a pretty good compromise...so kudos to Hitec.

Thanks-you kindly,

Gord.
Old Mar 06, 2005, 09:32 AM
Woodinville, WA USA
Joined Jul 2001
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc1-
In this case the customs didn't make the error. It was hitec.
Understood, but why not open the box to try and convince the customs nazi anyway? Aren't they called "Customs Inspectors"? let 'em do their job and "inspect" I'd imagine they have a process to handle any eventuality?

People regularly "lie" abou the contents about the contents of a package. Just accuse the sender of "lying" and see what happens.
echaban is offline Find More Posts by echaban
Last edited by echaban; Mar 06, 2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2005, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2004
192 Posts
there is no customs inspector at the post office. The post office just collects the money. They have no influence over customs what so ever. So it's pointless to argue about it with the postal clerk as this is a government tax collection thing

I received a warrany repair receipt. I'll send it in with my appeal so I should get my money back...in 8 weeks!
Old Mar 07, 2005, 02:00 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
jhc1-

Tony the service mgr at hitec helped me out, worth talking to him, he also helped me in the past....to make a long story short....had a problem with the left gimble on a brand new hitec laser 4, it jammed on full throttle...wasn't flying at the time...thank god. Didn't want to send the radio in for repairs...so Tony sent me a brand new gimble....anyways I will pm you with his contact info.

Gord.