HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2005, 01:20 AM
Brandon South Dakota
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Sorry another slow stick starter thread...

Sorry to start another thread, I am in several other groups, so I know how much of a problem the same question repeatedly can be. However, I did a search, but it was hard to decipher all the data into something useful before the 28th so I can use the $20 dollars off coupon from towershobbies site.

I been looking to see what materials I would need to get a slow stick up and running, with the hopes to eventually use it for aerial photography (although I don't think I want to jump right in with the lithium batteries and brushless motor).

I been having a hard time understanding the difference in size of servos, how big of and ESC I need, what equipment is compatible with other brands of equipment, and what brands/items to stay away from, while still keeping it relatively cheap (if possible I would like to keep it around $100, and if I can get the plane and gear for $100 I would be a really happy camper ).

A little background, I have a Futaba 7cap radio (standard size equipment), and a hobbico mkII quick field charger.

I fly an aerobird, and will fly gas when the weather gets better. Probably most my time/money will be spent on gas since I live fairly close to a field and I have some good friends that fly gas. I am just looking at the electric model to do some aerial photography, so I want the economical way into the hobby.

Thanks for reading,
Wyatt W.
phantom4099 is offline Find More Posts by phantom4099
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:26 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jan 2005
334 Posts
Wyatt,

One of the nice things about the ss is that you can use standard or micro servos, although most electrics will only fit micros so keep that in mind if you think you'll transfer the electronics later. Any old cheapie servo will work too, like the GWS naros, you don't need much torque from what I understand, and the GWSs are well recommended from what I've read.

A 10A esc will usually allow you to use 6-8 cells which will be fine with the stock setup but only gives you up to 100W. Cost: $20

If you already have a reciever to use as well as batteries, here's your total cost:

Slow stick w/motor and gearbox $35

Great Planes 10A esc $20

2 GWS servos $32

dubro mini EZ connectors $3

3 spare GWS props $5

I don't know how much your camera weighs, but if it's light you could probably get away with the stock setup. Otherwise you might want to start with a better brushed, or a brushless setup right from the start.

Here is what I have on my ss right now.

Hardwood dowell to replace aluminum fuse. The stock fuse isn't worth a crap.

Castle Creations 35A Pegasus esc for use with up to 10 cells: $45

Multiplex Permax 480 motor: $10

GP 10 cell 1100 NiMH: $21 each

With this setup the AUW is 24 ounces and I get about 22 ounces of thrust running the motor at 11A static (the motor can handle up to 12A). This setup should be plenty to haul up any small digital camera, I would think.

I hope this doesn't add to the confusion.

All the components I've mentioned so far, I got from Tower Hobbies, so they should have em all.

Jacob
jacobn is offline Find More Posts by jacobn
Last edited by rodeoflyer; Feb 27, 2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:54 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
you can do fine with the stock setup. My SS :

400 with D gear - $35

old 4 channle JR TX - $0 (you have one)

old full sized JR reciever - $0 (can be taken out of the case if needed)

2 full sized jr servos - $0 (or 2 hi-tech 55's on my new one $15 each)

wattage 30 amp ecs - $30 (LHS 30 was same price as a 15 amp a 10 works)

extra props a help I use 11X6 or 12X4.6 stock was 10X6 - ($3 each)

batterys: I got a 7.2V li-po off ebay stock voltage but little weak to me but runs for about 30 to 45 mins. ($25 ebay)

1 NM 1200, 8.4V good power not to heavy runs about 15 to 20 mins ($25LHS)

2 GWS NM, 900, 8.4V nice and light, good power 10 to 15 mins ($20 ebay)

1 NC unknow 9.6 from my sons rc truck LOL, tons of power heavy and only about 10 mins.

Origianal build was way tail heavy (I used screws ect.) I have a big lead wieght on the nose. Now I fly with the li-po mounted under the motor and it balances out. I leave it there all the time for balast. when I fly with the 9.6 pack the landing gear bows very bad on landings lol but flys great. total weight is almost 3LBS!!!
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:06 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
I have been flying my SS 2 to 3 times a week since November weather permitting in the school yard behind my house. I use all micro gear but I'll soon be taking it out as it's definately not needed. Standard servos and RX will not affect the flying characteristics enough to notice much. I do have a Kokam 1500 2S lithium polymer battery though. I know that Jacob suggests buying 3 spare props but it really is not necessary. Spend the extra $2.00 and get the prop saver. Holds the prop onto the hub with crossed rubber band. Works so darn well that you'll wish you thought of it yourself! If you buy extra props get a few different diameters/pitch. Search the forum for opinions as to props applications. I fly for 23 to 25 minutes depending on how many touch'n'go's I do. This plane has put the joy back in flying for me. I find the greatest enjoyment for me is slow flying at 1 to 5 feet of altitude. I made up a pair of skis for it from styrofoam and flew it off of the snow yesterday. You'll never regret spending the money on this plane. I bought mine from the guys at Balsa Products in NJ. Good guys. Great customer service. Good luck. Order it from whoever you want but order it. Great fun. In the first photo the SS has an 1100mah NiMh battery. Flies fine with that too. About 18 minutes flying. I fly in in the twilight too.

Can you tell that I like this bird?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:11 AM
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2003
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohillbilly
you can do fine with the stock setup. My SS :

400 with D gear - $35

old 4 channle JR TX - $0 (you have one)

old full sized JR reciever - $0 (can be taken out of the case if needed)

2 full sized jr servos - $0 (or 2 hi-tech 55's on my new one $15 each)

wattage 30 amp ecs - $30 (LHS 30 was same price as a 15 amp a 10 works)

extra props a help I use 11X6 or 12X4.6 stock was 10X6 - ($3 each)

batterys: I got a 7.2V li-po off ebay stock voltage but little weak to me but runs for about 30 to 45 mins. ($25 ebay)

1 NM 1200, 8.4V good power not to heavy runs about 15 to 20 mins ($25LHS)

2 GWS NM, 900, 8.4V nice and light, good power 10 to 15 mins ($20 ebay)

1 NC unknow 9.6 from my sons rc truck LOL, tons of power heavy and only about 10 mins.

Origianal build was way tail heavy (I used screws ect.) I have a big lead wieght on the nose. Now I fly with the li-po mounted under the motor and it balances out. I leave it there all the time for balast. when I fly with the 9.6 pack the landing gear bows very bad on landings lol but flys great. total weight is almost 3LBS!!!

Having fun while flying high and taking pictures.....priceless

IMHO it is nice to get kindof an "updated" thread...I am thinking about using my slow-v for AP, or getting a SS....I hate sorting through all the old threads that are a few months old.....what is the max weight for a battery??..ive got a few batteries, but they seem really heavy to me..im going to have to take them to work and weigh them....what would the max weight be for a battery for any of these setups?
Thanks!
NP
npinnau is offline Find More Posts by npinnau
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:12 AM
Brandon South Dakota
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Well here is what I been thinking (some of this stuff is already ordered, some is not).

GWS 6 channel reciever (ordered)
GWS Naro pro servo's 2-3
8.4 1600 mAh NiMh battery, or a 9.6 1600 mAh if I go with the 400
GWS ICS400/F Speed Control w/Futaba Plug (ordered)
GWS reciever crystal (this is holding up my second order of stuff)
couple dean plugs (ordered)
Planning on getting the slow stick with the 300 at the hobby shop, but not sure if the 400 would be better...

The camera probably is too heavy, it weighs 4.1 oz with out batteries... I know my aerobird flew with it once, but it did not land pretty...

Does this stuff look like it will do?

Thanks for the help,
Wyatt W.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:23 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
I have the 400 D-gear. I've used 9.6v but only once. Climbed steeply. I don't know if the 300 motor can take the voltage you mention. I read on these froums that a drop of light machine oil (3 in 1 oil) on the bearings will save the motor at higher voltages. I do it every other flight and I have about 4 or 5 hours of flight time on my SS 400 motor.

As for your camera I bet it would fly with it. Enjoy.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Feb 28, 2005, 07:08 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom4099
GWS 6 channel reciever (ordered)
GWS Naro pro servo's 2-3
8.4 1600 mAh NiMh battery, or a 9.6 1600 mAh if I go with the 400
GWS ICS400/F Speed Control w/Futaba Plug (ordered)
GWS reciever crystal (this is holding up my second order of stuff)
couple dean plugs (ordered)
Planning on getting the slow stick with the 300 at the hobby shop, but not sure if the 400 would be better...
The camera probably is too heavy, it weighs 4.1 oz with out batteries...Wyatt W.
Sounds good. You need 2 servos fot the plane & one for the camera - the naros are fine. She'll fly with pretty much any servo - the naros are nice & light but strong enough.
The ICS400 is perfect.
The 1600 batteries are gonna add a lot of weight, especially if your carrying a camera. A 2/3A size battery (900~1150mah depending on manufacturer) is better.
You need the UM-1 size GWS crystal. Its a single conversion micro crystal. Of course, it has to be the same channel as your Tx...
Id recommend the 300 motor to keep weight down.
Definitely get spare props, a spare shaft & a spare gearbox shell. Propsavers help, but not in all cases.
A 4oz camera is nuthin. She'll carry more. Buying a 350 motor with the 10 tooth pinion is a good upgrade - it'll help your climb rate with the payload. Keep the 300 as a spare.
A 1260 prop would be well suited to this setup. I fly light and use the 1170HD prop.
Be sure you get the Deans ULTRA plugs. They make at least 1/2 dozen different plugs, the ULTRAS are what you want. Female ALWAYS on the battery to prevent accidental shorts.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:22 AM
Brandon South Dakota
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanning
Sounds good. You need 2 servos fot the plane & one for the camera - the naros are fine. She'll fly with pretty much any servo - the naros are nice & light but strong enough.
The ICS400 is perfect.
The 1600 batteries are gonna add a lot of weight, especially if your carrying a camera. A 2/3A size battery (900~1150mah depending on manufacturer) is better.
You need the UM-1 size GWS crystal. Its a single conversion micro crystal. Of course, it has to be the same channel as your Tx...
Id recommend the 300 motor to keep weight down.
Definitely get spare props, a spare shaft & a spare gearbox shell. Propsavers help, but not in all cases.
A 4oz camera is nuthin. She'll carry more. Buying a 350 motor with the 10 tooth pinion is a good upgrade - it'll help your climb rate with the payload. Keep the 300 as a spare.
A 1260 prop would be well suited to this setup. I fly light and use the 1170HD prop.
Be sure you get the Deans ULTRA plugs. They make at least 1/2 dozen different plugs, the ULTRAS are what you want. Female ALWAYS on the battery to prevent accidental shorts.
Thanks, I called the hobby store (about 120 miles away...) and they only carry the slow stick with the 300 motor, so I guess that is what I am getting.

Tower is out of stock on the GWS crystal I need, but they are expecting more at the end of Feb, since they are below $10 I can not have them backordered with out buying two... I was going to buy 3 servos, but they are out of them till the end of the month too.

I will definatly look into getting a smaller battery. Just one question how much will the normal flight times be reduced?

I was looking at this (1600 mAh, 7.5 oz.) battery pack: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHU7&P=0
But would this (750 mAh, 4 oz.) battery pack be a better choice? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHU5&P=0

Guess another question is whether I can use my aerobirds batteries (6 cell 900 mAH) in between flights, and only as spares? I also have some older 9.6 volt AA battery packs from r/c cars, I know they will shorten the life of the motor a little, but how much?

Thanks, I picked up the dean ultra plugs, but I was not totaly sure they were the right ones.

Thanks again,
Wyatt W.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:48 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I have/had (now it's BL) the 400 S.S. and it flew fine with the stock set-up on 7 & 8 cell NiMh.

Judging by the prop and the gearing supplied, I personally believe that GWS intended the 400 model to be the speedier version of the S.S. That 400 motor with proper gearing could easily swing a much larger prop than the included 10x6 and provide a substantial thrust increase over the 300 versions.

If you buy the 400 version, use 8 cell packs. For the 300, stick with 7 cells.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:08 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
These things have tons of lift and will take a lot of weight it just hurts to crash with that much weight. the 300 is best to only use 8.4V the 400 can take 9.6 car packs np.

A good tip I found is even BEFORE the gear box is broken is to take small rubber bands and wrap them around the the gearbox front and back (i'll get a pic if able) it will last forever. I put one back together after it was broke with them and its still going.

still having issues posting pic's
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:09 AM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jan 2005
334 Posts
Hey, I know this has been gone over before, but what camera do you guys recommend that would be both cheap and light, if that's possible?

Jacob
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:13 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UAANA...12034026756711

well at least it worked this way.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:47 AM
mv2
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2005
38 Posts
Similar power system questions

My questions are similar so I think this is the right thread to post...
I have a Slow Stick with which I too would like to do Arial Photography.

Right now I have a GWS EPS 350 D motor on KAN 1050 NIMH with 1180 prop, which is fun, but will not, I believe, pull the camera I am envisioning.

I bought a EPS 400 D and a GWS ICS 480J ESC. It seems sluggish. Should I have purchased the GWS 400 ESC instead of the 480J?

Also, what Battery should I use with this setup?
I have an Accu-Cycle Elite which I believe can charge lipos, so I am thinking of going lipo with the 400, possibly brushless in the future, so I would like to reuse the batts if possible.
mv2 is offline Find More Posts by mv2
Old Mar 04, 2005, 03:40 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jan 2005
334 Posts
mv2,

There is a semi-cheap way to power your ss for AP with the setup you have. Buy a Kiosho Endoplasma motor and run it direct drive or with a high gearing. These motors work great on 7-8 cells from what I understand, and they are capable of high amp draws. You can use the esc you have, just keep it to 15A.

A middle-cost approach: Go ahead and get those 3S Lipos, a Permax 480 for $10, and a CC 35A Pegasus speed control for $42. This is what I got for my ss, and this setup gives 22oz. thrust propping very conservatively. The only problem with affordable brushed escs is that they can take 10 cells with 2 servos, but only 8 cells with 3 servos, unless you disable the BEC, in which case you'd need an expensive UBEC or a separate reciever pack.

Cheap Brushless setup: $50 cdrom motor with esc from Balsa Products. I don't think this setup though will produce nearly the thrust of the above setup. Lighter though.

Better-but-still-cheap Brushless setup: $90 E-flight park motor and esc.

Jacob
Last edited by rodeoflyer; Mar 04, 2005 at 03:54 PM.