HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:18 PM
Nathan Chronister
Joined Jun 2003
626 Posts
Micro-splinters from carbon fiber and fiberglass rods: Are they dangerous?

Hello.

When handling carbon fiber or fiberglass rods, sometimes I got micro splinters in my hands. They are painful for a few days when I move a certain way, and after that they don't hurt anymore. I can never see the offending particles. I guess they are too small.

I read once that particles from boron filaments can work their way into the blood stream and cause serious harm to the body. Does this danger exist with carbon and fiberglass materials?

What can I do to protect myself from uncomfortable splinters in the hands or from worse problems?

Thanks for your help!

Nathan
Chronister is offline Find More Posts by Chronister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:16 AM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Dec 2004
118 Posts
I wondered about the same thing...still alive so far.
cosrl is offline Find More Posts by cosrl
Old Mar 01, 2005, 12:06 AM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,001 Posts
My understanding is that cf is particularly bad. Unlike a wood splinter, which will cause the body to become inflamed, the cf is sort of neutral, and can just dig deaper into the body. And cf dust is something bad. CF should be sanded wet.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Mar 01, 2005, 04:18 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Yes they can be dangerous. Whether it is the carbon fibre or the resin with which it is impregnated the trapping of splinters under the skin can cause the growth of aberrant cartilage in an attempt by the body to isolate the splinter. There was a horrendous picture posted on the 'net a few years ago illustrating this. I'll see if I can hunt the picture down and post a link if I can find it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63.../tm.htm#634318

If you are cutting CF then do so on a wet paper towel to catch the dust and clean up much more regularly than you would normally. Vinyl gloves might keep the dust off your hands but are unlikely to provide much protection against hard splinters.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer