SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2002, 07:52 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
OK, Need some more help setting up a Network!

I was scheduled to have my Broadband installed on Monday 3/25 but had to have it pushed back to Friday 3/29, so I have a little extra time.
I have all the Stuff, Router, Hub, Lan Cards & Cables so Ready to go. My primary Goal is to Network my Son's computer upstairs with my Computer downstairs so that we may share an Internet Connection. Since I have the extra time, I think I would like to go ahead & set up the Network this Weekend between the two computers eventought I dont have the Broadband (Roadrunner) yet.
Is this a wise thing to do or should I wait until After my Cable Modem has been installed next weekend? If I Network now, what will be left to do in order to get the Network using the Broadband connection? Can I simulate a Broadband Network by using my existing Dial-Up Modem?
-Thanks-
Mike

P.S. - I know I asked a similar question about a week ago but I am still not clear on how this setup works.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Mar 21, 2002, 08:07 PM
Aeronautical nerd
Seattle
Joined Nov 2001
74 Posts
Plug all your computers into the router and then the router into the cable modem.

Mine is set up this way and works great.

If you want to be able to move files between computer, you have to enable sharing. Do a search in 'help' and you should find the instructions
Matt M is offline Find More Posts by Matt M
Old Mar 21, 2002, 09:36 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
Its really easy... plug all the computers into the router... then on each computer, go into the control panel. Click on Network Settings. Then "Add" - File and Printer sharing. Once that is done, go to the next tab at the top (can't remember the exact name of it right now). Then name your computer, and the network name. (ie: home). Click on Okay.. get out of all the screens... double click on My Computer... right click on C:, drop down to "File Sharing".. click on that... enable sharing of the drive. Do this for all the drives you want to share with other people on that particular computer. Do this on all the pc's. Reboot all of them.. and wah-la, you should have a network with all pc's being able to share files and printers. Its really easier than I made it sound.

I do this stuff all day long and fix pc's.. so its burned into my head.

david
dizza is offline Find More Posts by dizza
Old Mar 21, 2002, 10:00 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
Couple points to add: the network name must be the same on all computers and each computers name must be different.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Mar 21, 2002, 11:02 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
oh yeah.. that would help Sorry. I always go too fast explaining things.

david
dizza is offline Find More Posts by dizza
Old Mar 23, 2002, 08:59 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
OK, Thanks for the Input, It's Saturday & I/m About to dive into setting up a Network between the two computers.
I guess my only other question is, once I get the 2 computers networked, what steps do I need to go through next Friday when the Cable Man arrives with My Roadrunner Cable Modem, How do I introduce Broadband sharing onto an existing Network?
-Thanks-
Mike
Old Mar 23, 2002, 09:31 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Ok, I opened up my sons computer, I forgot that he only has 2 PCI slots & both are taken, one has a Modem & the other is where the 3DFX Voodoo 2 1000 card is plugged in (3D card only). Since the Voodoo Card is only 3D, I can pull it out & still have onBoard Video, maybe I'll just take that out. However, If I understand this correctly, he could use the Modem in My computer downstairs if we are Networked & sharing stuff, is that correct?
-Mike-
Old Mar 23, 2002, 09:44 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
If your setup is like mine... ( Linksys Cable router)

all PCs plug in to the LAN side of the router/switch. Then when the "cable guy" shows up, you just connect the cable modem/DSL modem he is going to bring to the WAN side of the network. If they assign you a node name ( computer name ) you will want to add this in the router on the WAN side. The WAN interface will get an IP from the DHCP server from your provider, and you will "serve" IP address to your local machines on the LAN interface. It is best to just accept the defaults IP scheme unless you have reasons to do otherwise. Set your PCs to "obtain an IP address" in the IP setup. Once everything is powered on, just enter ipconfig at a dos prompt (winipcfg for win 95) You should see an address.
At the DOS prompt issue
ping <IP address>
<ip address> is the IP address of the other machine. I.E.
ping 192.168.1.100

If you get replies... you have connectivity.

Eventhough my router does NAT (Network address translation) I like to share all my directories as hidden ( <sharename$> the $ after the sharename makes it hidden. Just a little paraniod I guess, but Windoze is riddled with security holes :-)
If you go this route, you can't browse, so you will have to connect "manually"
At a dos prompt, enter... net use * \\<pcname>\<share>
It will assign the next available drive.
If you go with standard sharenames, you can browse using Network Neighborhood.

There would be no problem at all setting this up before they install the boradband connection...you just won't have internet access.

You can share a modem, but I haven't done that.

Your setup shoud look something like this:

PC ------(lan side)Router/Switch(WAN side)-------CableModem------Cable
PC------|

Good Luck
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:00 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jan 2002
186 Posts
The router is responsible for sharing one IP address with all of your cllient computers. The router needs to be configured according to your providers specifications. The may require you to use PPPoE for validation, or they may assign you a static IP address. Typically, you access the configuration through a web browser (linksys has you type 192.168.1.1 into the browser).

The router is then responsible for issuing private IP addresses for each of your client computers. This is called NAT, and should be enabled in the configuration of the router. Each of your client computers should be configured to dynamically recieve an IP address (DHCP).

The router is a bridge between your local network and the wide area network (cable modem network).
crashman is offline Find More Posts by crashman
Old Mar 23, 2002, 11:13 AM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrebman
If I understand this correctly, he could use the Modem in My computer downstairs if we are Networked & sharing stuff, is that correct?
Yes, yank his modem and use that slot for the lan card.

I've got a small network (2) here, while sharing 1 internet connection. Works great.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Mar 29, 2002, 02:20 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
YES!!! Roadrunner Now Up & Running! This High Speed is Major Cool No more waiting for pages to come up & by the time I cancel the extra phone line & cancel MSN, it doesn't cost any more than those together.
Anyway, The cable guy says that Roadrunner Includes (2) IP addresses so a Router is not necessary when sharing the connection with only 2 computers, Only need a Hub. I will need the Router (Which I already bought when I add my other son's third computer). When I add the third computer, I unplug the Cable Modem from the Hub & plug it into the Router's WAN port, then I plug the Router into the into the Uplink port on the Hub? Now what do I do? does the router then just assign a Dynamic Adress automatically to feed the broadband to the third computer? After I plug everything in, what else do I have to do?

UH, Also, I just thought of something, If I just use the Hub & not the Router, I have no Hardware Firewall! Ouch!! Will I need to install a Software Firewall? Is that hard to do? Any recommends for a Good Freeware Firewall I can Download?
-Thanks-
Mike

P.S. - What will happen if I don't use a Firewall?
Old Mar 29, 2002, 03:38 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jan 2002
186 Posts
If you have already bought the router, use it. If you do not have a firewall, people will hack into your computers. If you don't have a problem with people seeing everything on your machine, or potentially vandalizing it, then don't worry about it.

The router is just plugged into the uplink on your hub. Some routers come with more than one LAN port, so you can plug computers directly into those as well.

Most routers have the ability to do NAT, which is the ability for one IP address to shared among multiple clients. When operating in this mode, it is the DHCP server for all of the connected computers.

You also need to make sure the router is configured correctly to talk to the cable modem. It can ask for a dynamic address, or it can used a static IP address. It can also do PPPoE, which is a method for authenticating the router as an authorized device. It all depends on how your computers got configured when you connected them to the cable modem.

Tony
crashman is offline Find More Posts by crashman
Old Mar 29, 2002, 05:09 PM
Aeronautical nerd
Seattle
Joined Nov 2001
74 Posts
Keep the router as a firewall.

Cable security is pretty much non-existent for end users. Otherwise people on your 'node' will be able to 'look' at your computer.

Using a firewall will allow you to use file sharing behind it without having to use passwords.

Glad to hear you got it going
Matt M is offline Find More Posts by Matt M
Old Mar 29, 2002, 06:12 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
The Siemens 5-Port Ethernet Hub + Siemens Router came as a Set & the "Set" Deal came out to $30 Total, so it's a cheap Router. It took us a while to get this thing setup WITHOUT involving the Router. I now have both Mine & my son's computer sharing the Broadband connection using just the HUB. I'll have to admit, I'm kinda Gun Shy trying to work the Router into this setup. My inclination is to leave well enough alone & not mess with the Router, I would only be out like $15.
However, I really would like the Hardware Firewall that the router would give me, what's the easiest to get the Router into this Broadband setup without screwing things up?

-Mike-