HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2005, 10:56 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
My stuff arrived today. Below is a photo of the tube and threaded rod prior to glueing. The CF tube is 3.5mm OD and 2mm ID. The threaded rod is a Dubro 172.

Honestly, if it were a tighter fit the rod would have to be pushed in. As it is, the rod slips in with its own weight and hardly even wiggles inside the tube! Very impressed - Dubro 172 + 2mm ID is a match made in heaven!

Now I just need to file notches into the threaded rod and then JB weld it in place. One thing - the Dubro 172 rods are threaded on one end only. If you want threads on either side of your CF pushrod you'll need two 172s. They're dirt cheap though!

Ordered these parts from Roffee BTW.

Aragon
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2005, 10:57 AM
Panic from above
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2004
201 Posts
Quote:
The CF rods you have for the Boom support are they a solid core or hollow?
They are hollow.
I had a choice between solid and hollow and the solid ones were flexing more...
And they are not carbon. I cannot get that stuff ANYWHERE in holland...
Wished I could so I could try to make alot of ideas I have...
It's some sort of plastic, very strong. I use the same stuff for my 'training cross' under my landing gear.

Grey
grey is offline Find More Posts by grey
Old Mar 01, 2005, 11:02 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey
They are hollow.
And they are not carbon. I cannot get that stuff ANYWHERE in holland...
I also have problems getting the stuff here. Kite shops have some rods, but their selection is really cr*p, and they never seem to have the specific OD and ID I need (not even close either).

Aragon
Old Mar 01, 2005, 11:28 AM
Panic from above
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2004
201 Posts
I had found 1 (read 1!!) shop that sold carbon.
A simple 20cm by 40cm 2mm carbon sheet goes for 60 euro's.
That's about 80 dollars... sigh. Needless to say I did NOT bought that.
grey is offline Find More Posts by grey
Old Mar 01, 2005, 03:05 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Ouch.

When buying obscure things here the situation usually involves hunting for manufacturers of raw materials and then buying wholesale (somtimes in bulk). So far I've turned up empty handed in the search of a CF manufacturer, but when I have some energy I'm going to try the fishing and golf industries - have heard those guys are using CF in their gear these days!

Aragon