HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:57 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
472 Posts
Any homemade ideas for push rod guide on corona?

I got everythign working,hooked up and pluged in,ready to go to the field with it,But i lost one push rod guide that hooks on the boom to help control tail.
I hovered it triming it in but the tail isnt working good cause its bending,I guess i'll have to order them,but anything you could think of to rig it up for time being?
ProfitOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:35 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
you really need to go to carbon tube pushrod. it is so much better. for temporary thing, you can get a piece of plastic or brass tubing, and use bit of two sided sticky tape and tie wrap. it should hold it against the boom fairly well.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:59 AM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
472 Posts
didnt someone sell a carbon boom and pushrod combo? But thanks for the tip,I can see that working
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:06 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
www.centralhobbies.com sells carbon tube and titanium end. get the 1/8 or larger tube with 2-56 ends (longer and you get two rod from each length) they do cost about 15 bucks for two tube and 4 ends. you can also make your own using 1/8" OD carbon tube and 2-56 threaded rod. (just jb weld it and it fits nice and tight anyway) my LHS sells this tube for 5 bucks a tube for 36" length(enough for two)
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:02 PM
Torrance, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
225 Posts
I just used some brass tube and titanium pushrod ends, works great..
dataway is offline Find More Posts by dataway
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:27 AM
Joined Dec 2003
82 Posts
I used some 4mm hollow carbon rod. I had to open the ends up a little so some 2/56 threaded rod would go in it.

In the end the carbon split a little so I ended up using some cyano to hold the threaded rod in, and then used a little heatshrink tube on the end as well to stop it splitting some more.

Seems to be holding up ok.

Oh if you can get some carbon rod and use it, then perhaps put the pushrod and server on the other side of the frame, so when you have a boom strike you are not making up another pushrod as well.

I havent done it yet as I have been lazy, and just wanted to get the heli in the air
letmein is offline Find More Posts by letmein
Old Feb 28, 2005, 09:20 AM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
472 Posts
Yes,I used a carbon hollow rod,I drilled out a lil bit,then slid in the the rod ends.Mine also split"altough I think it split because the way I cut it,I shoulda dremelled it " But I just put CA glue on the rod end slid it in then put it all around the split and rod end and hit it with some accelerator.
I had my first flight with it the otherseemed to work great and I dont see no further spliting,but I'll keep my eye on it,Thanks for the ideas guys
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:41 AM
Panic from above
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2004
201 Posts
Is there another place to order pushrods for the corona?
Centralhobbies wants me to photocopy my creditcard and fax it to them.
I don't want that...

I found this site but to be honest I can't really make out wich one I need.

http://www.darrolcady.com/Carbon_Fiber/carbon_fiber.htm

But if someone know something in europe then that would be nice. (lesser shippingcosts)

Grey
grey is offline Find More Posts by grey
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:52 AM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
472 Posts
I actually got my rod at hobbytown usa near me.The CF rod was 5 bux,and the 2-56 rod ends were like a $1.50,and also bought a ball link to install on the servo horn for moving it nice and smooth,and use the regualar clevis near the tail blades.
I got it all for under 10 bux and took less 10 minutes to make .Its a great home made hop upo,I highly recomend
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey
Is there another place to order pushrods for the corona?
Centralhobbies wants me to photocopy my creditcard and fax it to them.
I don't want that...
Have you tried www.roffeetvhobby.com? They don't have an online store so all orders are done manually by mail, but their service is great and their shipping is very reasonable. I recently ordered CF pushrods for tail control on my Corona so I'm sure Mike can you set you up.

Quote:
I found this site but to be honest I can't really make out wich one I need.

http://www.darrolcady.com/Carbon_Fiber/carbon_fiber.htm
I've seen most people go for 1/8" rods (CPR-05). If it's for the Corona tail you'll want 2-56 threads (CPR-20/CPR-35?). If mikefaith sees this post he might be able to help with that site's parts.

If you get from Roffee, all his rods are metric. 1/8" is about 3.1mm, so I went for 3.5mm OD. ID was 2mm I think, but I can confirm that later this week if you can wait. Otherwise just say you want ID to fit Dubro 172 threaded rods.

One thing to keep in mind for shipping is the length of the rods. Mike's rods are 40" long, but you can easily make two rods for the Corona tail by cutting those in half. Mike is happy to do that for you prior to shipping which should save you in costs.

Aragon
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:49 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
472 Posts
I only ordered corona parts from roffetv,So I dont know what else he has,But I order over the phone,which I didnt like at first but when I ordered from other site,I got emails saying orders on hold becasue they were out of stuff,or the worst you recieve you stuff minus the stuff they were out of,"which really pisses you off"
But ordering is fast and easy and you know right then and there what he has ,no suprises and shipping is really fast for me casue I live in ohio where he is located,So thumbs up to roffe
Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:08 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
I just built a spare pushrod this weekend. I used a stick of 4mm OD X 2.5 ID cf tube, and a 2-56 threaded rod. I cut two pieces of the threaded rod (maybe 2" each) and epoxied them in. After it cured, I added 2 nylon/steel pin clevis's. I have the original as a spare. Very quick and cheap to do....
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:45 PM
Panic from above
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2004
201 Posts
Quote:
Mike is happy to do that for you prior to shipping which should save you in costs.
Hmm..I think I go for that if he's willing.
Only I have a different size,as seen on photo, need to measure it and convert it to inches. (and not make a mistake)
Little bit late now.. will do tomorrow, or after he say's he wants to do that.
grey is offline Find More Posts by grey
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:59 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
The bag that my cf tube came in, had metric and std on it. I'm not home, so I don't know what the std measurement is....
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:45 PM
United States, NJ, Raritan Township
Joined Dec 2004
237 Posts
Quote:
Hmm..I think I go for that if he's willing.
Only I have a different size,as seen on photo, need to measure it and convert it to inches. (and not make a mistake)
Little bit late now.. will do tomorrow, or after he say's he wants to do that.
Grey,

The CF rods you have for the Boom support are they a solid core or hollow?

Mark
mcoccia is offline Find More Posts by mcoccia