SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:52 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
Idea
C-130 W/ retracts...

Thats not a typo, I just got my C-130 and I have been planing this for a while. I have some pictures for those that wish to gander. The front wheel is retracted by a robart steerable micro retract unit. The rear I am still working on.. This first picture you can see the unit. The second picture you can see my duel wheel setup I am going for semi scale look. I took two wheel collars and then ground off the Ni plating then solder them together. I know a bit on the heavy side but everyone is adding weight to adjust the CG any way. Why not make it do something. On another note. on my C-130 there was a big gouge from something, like it was cut on accident you can see in the top left of the fuselage. Let me know if it is suposed to be like that?

Have fun
Chris
Scoobyvroom is offline Find More Posts by Scoobyvroom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:26 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
More pics hopefully someone will notice....

Here is a picture of the rear landing gear. It is still in it's prototype phase, this one will not work, it is too wide I need to do a bit of re-design. You get the idea when the landing gear is down the servo makes the forces work aginst one another to make almost no load on the servo. Without the screws in the servo which is a HS-81 I squezed on the wheel and tried to make it go up. It took quite a bit of force so we shall see.

enjoy..
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:28 PM
Bunker Hill, WV
Joined Oct 2004
111 Posts
WOW!! I like it was just talking about this in another thread
mapmanufacturers is offline Find More Posts by mapmanufacturers
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:31 PM
Bunker Hill, WV
Joined Oct 2004
111 Posts
BTW the cut is suppose to be there.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:45 PM
chicago
Joined Jan 2004
387 Posts
man oh man. how much weight?
captinnitro is offline Find More Posts by captinnitro
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:54 PM
Bunker Hill, WV
Joined Oct 2004
111 Posts
How will they hide if they swing up like that what about making them come straight up instead like go into the body. Also are you going to be putting a cargo hatch in also .
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:03 PM
chicago
Joined Jan 2004
387 Posts
hey Scoobyvroom what if you make the main landing gear go strait up. You would need 1 1/4 " travel.you could use a crank mechanism. The kind you find on merry-go round.
captinnitro is offline Find More Posts by captinnitro
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:43 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
I had thought about making it go straight up, there are a couple problems with that.
1. How do you start stop how far the wheels go?? You would need limit switches which would add alot of weight way to complex, remember the first rule to everything..
KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid
2. you would need alot of weight devoted to the structure becasue of lateral motion from bad landings hitting things.
3. like you said it needs to go up 1-1/4 inches. but mine dosen't go up that high because the wheels rotate.

I have been thinking about this long and hard. I plan to make the retract system removable. Making the plane modular. So a bomb bay may be in the future of the
C-130. I figure 3 units, retract, bomb bay, fixed wheels.

BTW you said the wheel don't come up high enought well the axle will be level with the bottom of the plane, my setup is a little tall, remember I said this is a prototype. gimme another day or two

Chris
Old Feb 25, 2005, 09:50 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
Opps double post, server was messed up. I couldn't see your picture before.
That would still be pretty hard, you need some sort of locking mech when down and enought travel for 1-1/4 movment.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 02:23 AM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
Here yeah go here is another treat...

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

I need to go to bed have fun sorry about the TV in the background..

Chris..
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:45 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
Figured I would bump the thread...

Any way I have gotten alot of work done on the Herc and I have almost got the fuse halves together, However I had the same problems with the cowls being paper thin at the front I have 2 that are very bad and one is o.k. maybe I would hoever like to replace these probably have to give GWS a call tommorow. Also my center section of my plane where the wheels go was messed up it was deformed in the middle and dosen't fit right. Blah, any way hopefully I should have a working full retract C-130 in a couple days, get some video up with the body and all. I also need to check out Mr-cams landtastic device..

Chris...
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:15 PM
Joined May 2003
615 Posts
Actually I Idea to use the servo to make the wheels go staright up without the need of a circuit limiter. It would involve some springs pushing the wheels down when the servo is down and the servo will have to contract the springs and bring teh wheels up or the servo can bve use as a lifting mechanism to bring it up and have a sortt of bolt to hold down a wheel assemble when you bring teh LG down. I may need to draw out the idea. but I would like to see how you solve this isse. Also would not a wattage steerable micro nose weel save more wt? Though much flimsier but I use it on my GWS A-10 retracts with good results
Guyffon is offline Find More Posts by Guyffon
Old Mar 01, 2005, 10:28 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Here are my preliminary thoughts on a retracting undercarriage for the GWS C130. This setup uses a down lock to prevent the U/C inadvertantly retracting but an uplock is not needed as there is no weight on the U/C when retracted.

The servo throw is adjusted to give the right anount of up movement and I would not use doors as in this size as I do not think they would be reliable. I would use an opening just a little larger than the wheels for the U/C to move into and out of.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Mar 01, 2005, 12:55 PM
Bunker Hill, WV
Joined Oct 2004
111 Posts
Cool Ideas and also great video on them retracts Chris
Old Mar 01, 2005, 12:59 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Not to pop any bubbles 'cause I think you guys are cool and this idea will be great. But the Cargo trans quad looks great just as is. You can't even notice the wheels in the air. However, all of that said, good luck in your endevers and I can;t wait to see the results. Jahead
Jarhead is offline Find More Posts by Jarhead