HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2005, 08:56 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Question
Can you dye fiberglass cloth black?

Hi I want to get a carbon fiber look with my Fg cloth on laminated parts for a dlg.

Does anyone know if you can dye fiberglass cloth black (of different weights)?
And if so, are there any drawbacks or caveats?

I think I read somewhere about adding graphite powder to the epoxy to achieve color. Does this work? Any known problems with adding this to epoxy?

Any and all input/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Craig
Phiber Optik is offline Find More Posts by Phiber Optik
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:30 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Tinting the resin, as with graphite powder, will not give a "carbon look" to fiberglass. It will just color the resin. Graphite powder causes no problems with any resin system I've used (or heard of).

I have not tried it, but you could spray black paint on the glass and then lay it up as usual. That will then look like black fiberglass. Carbon fiber has a very special refractive property which makes it look so cool in the light. Painted or dyed glass won't have this property, but it might be close enough for your needs.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:17 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfee
I have not tried it, but you could spray black paint on the glass and then lay it up as usual.

-David
Wouldn't this impair the glass's ability to absorb resin?

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:03 AM
Kharkov, Ukraine
Joined Jul 2003
59 Posts
http://shop.ezentrum.de/1460583/uiFr...hr&artid=49726

Glasfilamentgewebe 280 g (Schwarz) KP
Glasfilamentgewebe
280 g/m²
Köper, Breite 100 cm
Finish FK 803
schwarz eingefärbt

Anwendungsgebiet:
Dieses Gewebe wurde speziell für Kohlefaser-Sichtlaminate entwickelt.
Es wird als zweite Schicht nach der Kohlefaser eingesetzt, um eine optimale Optik zu erzielen.
Im Gegensatz zu Kohlegeweben elektrisch nicht leitend.
Laminate aus diesem Gewebe weisen ähnliche Eigenschaften auf, wie das luftfahrtzugelassene Glasfilamentgewebe 280 g/m² Interglas 92125 (R&G Bestell-Nr. 190 138-X).

Rechnerische Daten für Handlaminate mit 35 Vol.-% Fasern
Harzverbrauch: 220 g/m², Laminatdicke: 0,308 mm, Laminatgewicht: 500 g/m².
gennady is offline Find More Posts by gennady
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:17 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPyro
Wouldn't this impair the glass's ability to absorb resin?
That's a good point. It might, depending on how much paint you used. I wasn't thinking of saturating the cloth with paint... that would tend to lock the fibers together anyway... making it difficult to use.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Thank you for finding that, gennady.

That Black glass from R&G looks cool, but it seems they only have 280g/m^2 (8.3oz/yd^2) which is too heavy for a DLG. They also have aluminum-coated glass (texalium). Pretty cool, but also too heavy for DLG.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:17 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
I was thinking of the same potential issue with spray painting the glass. It would make it rigid, and hard to work with and inhibit it's ability to accept resin.

Basically, I wondering if FG cloth will even take any type of dye at all.

I'm thinking that a type of dye might work better. More along the lines of Rit clothing dye to either dye the glass cloth itself, or to tint the epoxy. I think either would achieve the same basic effect. But have tried neither.

I'm really just after a slightly different aesthetic look rather than the run-of -the-mill white FG/epoxy over foam/balsa, without having to goto more expensive (and harder to work with) CF/Kevlar cloth to achieve a more hi-tech look.

Anyone else have a source for 3/4 oz black -or any other- colored fiberglass cloth?

Or any method to either dye or otherwise color white FG another color without inhibiting it's flexibility, strength or epoxy adhesion properties?

Thanks for all your input!

Craig
Last edited by wrightknuckles; Feb 28, 2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:31 PM
Tallinn, Estonia
Joined Feb 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightknuckles
Or any method to either dye or otherwise color white FG another color without inhibiting it's flexibility, strength or epoxy adhesion properties?
I did some tests to find out how to add color to my wing. One of the things I tried was kids' blowpen.

http://home.cyber.ee/arne/twocolors.jpg

The one on the top is usual Krylon-like sparypaint on mylars. The one on the bottom is red blowpen, directly on the foam. Epoxy smudges the edges somewhat, but since the color is under the glass, it looks "deep" :) Try it out - there are several colors, including black, available.

regards,
Arne
arneansper is offline Find More Posts by arneansper
Old Feb 28, 2005, 05:09 PM
Tallinn, Estonia
Joined Feb 2004
660 Posts
I did some searches here in Groups and found out that Blopens are not UV resistant. They will dissolve within couple of months when exposed to sun. So it's not so good idea after all :(

Arne
arneansper is offline Find More Posts by arneansper
Old Feb 28, 2005, 07:21 PM
Spittin' Sparx forever...
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
If you go to one of your area's local boat builder's or autobody repair supply shops you can get a squeeze tube of tint for mixing into fibreglas resin. The results are about the closest I've seen to CF when mixed properly (according to the specs that come with it), but you still won't get the refractive light quality that CF has. Don't forget, however, to allow yourself extra curing time as the tint will make the resin take longer to cure...

DougB
DougB is offline Find More Posts by DougB
Old Feb 28, 2005, 07:45 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arneansper
The one on the bottom is red blowpen, directly on the foam. Epoxy smudges the edges somewhat, but since the color is under the glass, it looks "deep"
This sounds interesting. Tamiya (the plastic model company) makes some spray paints which are foam safe. For that mater, acrylic latex paints are foam safe. It might be worth a shot to color the substrate (foam, balsa...) rather than the cloth.

-David
Old Mar 01, 2005, 07:40 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB
If you go to one of your area's local boat builder's or autobody repair supply shops you can get a squeeze tube of tint for mixing into fibreglas resin. The results are about the closest I've seen to CF when mixed properly (according to the specs that come with it), but you still won't get the refractive light quality that CF has. Don't forget, however, to allow yourself extra curing time as the tint will make the resin take longer to cure...

DougB
This sounds like a possible solution that might give me the results I want. I figure theres gotta be a way to either tint the resin, the glass or the foam.

Too bad someone simply doesnt make 3/4 oz glass in colors (especially black)!

I've thought of simply using foam safe paint on the foam, then FG'ing with regular glass/epoxy, but I speculate that the results (and added weight of the paint) wont be as good as dying the glass or resin, and the paint might interfere with the adhesion of the epoxy and cause a delam situation down the road.

Craig
Old Mar 01, 2005, 07:53 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Can you also dye MinWax Polycrylic?

Wondering the same thing here...can MinWax polycrylic be dyed as well?

I know this is used as an easier to work with alternative to epoxy to adhere FG to some foam and balsa, such as on the Mountain Models DL50 DLG...

Any info on that as well?

Thanks!

craig
Old Mar 01, 2005, 01:53 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB
If you go to one of your area's local boat builder's or autobody repair supply shops you can get a squeeze tube of tint for mixing into fibreglas resin. Don't forget, however, to allow yourself extra curing time as the tint will make the resin take longer to cure...DougB
Careful with that. A lot of what you will find in a boatbuilders shop in that regard are pigments for polyester based gelcoat systems. They are not really intended for epoxy. You can get away with it in small portions but it does adversley affect the curing & strength of epoxy because of its polyester based carrier (hence the usual 'extra curing time' observation). A better option is artists pigment powder which has no liquid binder. But they are expensive.

Generally speaking you will usually always get some sort of intermediary semi-translucent color results with tinting. The reason is the pigment only saturates the resin, it doesnt do a good job of coating the actual glass fibers. Think of painting a window, it requires dark colors & lots of paint to make it opaque. Your glass cloth is +/- the same stuff juts in fiber form. So your eye perceived kind of an average of color-ish epoxy in between white-ish fibers...unless you are real heavy on the resin saturation which is a no-no.

If you want color, do what most composite modelers are doing - spray in a seperate color coat prior to the layup. That divorces the 'color' job from the 'layup' job. If you're trying to make your glass simulate CF, this isnt really a good way to go about it. They make nice quality photorendered fakes from using stick-on vinyl etc at most sign shops (but its heavy).
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Mar 01, 2005, 02:03 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,835 Posts
Here is a good recent discussion from RCU

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2630506
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman