HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2002, 12:16 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Dec 1999
476 Posts
1/16 Ply Bungee Hook?

Hi All,
Any thoughts about using 1/16 ply for a bungee hook for a 28-30 ounce plane?

I'm getting ready to cut some parts, and am trying to decide on 1/16, 1/8, or just buy a glider hook from Hobby Lobby!

Thanks
tiggs is offline Find More Posts by tiggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2002, 01:05 PM
Pres. Uff-Da Air
Vincennes, Ind. 47591 USA
Joined Jan 2000
179 Posts
glider hook

Tiggs,
My advice would be to just keep it simple, Anchor a plate with a blind nut near the nose and screw in a HL tow hook use the small diameter and cut it to 1/2 the original length so the ring will slip off easily. I'm flying a 45oz Focke Wulf, a Velekum Twist and a Ryan Helcat from a PVC bungie launcher. I have launched a 2 meter sailplane and a couple of other planes using this method. If I want to launch a plane with no front mounted tow hook I simply use a tow hook and adjustable rail. Tape the rail to the nose of the aircraft using strapping tape and launch. I use 30ft of 5/16 bungie rubber 18" of string, stretch this to 3x's it's original length and watch 'em go. Flying speed is usually achieved in the first few feet, after that just go for altitude and turn the motor on. Note: The FW bounces about 6ft out if I don't have enough tension. Sailplanes need very little tension but it is a hands free launch.
Uff-Da Pete
Lloyd Peterson is offline Find More Posts by Lloyd Peterson
Old Mar 21, 2002, 01:27 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
I use 1/8 ply on almost all my edfs. You can harden it with ca if it tends to scrape off. A short carbon rod glued in at an angle will work too.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Mar 21, 2002, 05:21 PM
Chief Turnip Inspector
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Dec 1999
476 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll probably try the 1/8 ply to see how my little designed hook comes out, but where would one get a hand launch tow hook from?
tiggs is offline Find More Posts by tiggs
Old Mar 21, 2002, 05:57 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Tow Hook

I ussually just epoxy in a plate of 1/8 ply with a 4/40 blind nut in it. Drill a whole in the fuselage and match the blind nut and hole up. Then take a piece of 4/40 rod and bend it to the size you want your hook. Next take a 4/40 nut and install on the threaded part of the rod. Screw the rod into the blind nut and tighten the nut to make the rod straight and tight. Its light and works great. You dont need a big hook just make sure its open, I bend mine at a 90% angle.
Hope this helps
Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston