HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:34 AM
Vicksburg, MI
Joined Jul 2004
581 Posts
Explain here how you did your E-Starter tricycle gear mod.

I thought it would be neat to have a thread for E-Starter builders that would like to put tricycle gear on their plane. I remember when I first got my E-Starter (19 months ago, 2nd month into RC), I had wanted so badly to build it with trike gear. I had no info about it anywhere so I stuck with the stock setup.

Now for those of you who have put trike gear on your E-Starter, please share with the rest of us here on RC Groups how you did it.
Don't forget the pics

-Daniel
Daniel11 is offline Find More Posts by Daniel11
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2005, 03:08 PM
Carl
Riverland, South Australia
Joined Nov 2004
594 Posts

I wanted to do this mod ever since I first put the estarter together and finally got to it on my xmas holiday break. After researching various methods people used I thought this method up... seeing none of our LHS stocked any dubro 1/2A nose gears or other smaller setups, so it had to be a homemade job... least it didn't cost anything!

Basically I cut up a piece of 9mm thick MDF (Medium density Fibre board, kinda like a fine grain chipboard, fairly tough stuff!) into the L shape like in the diagram, drilled a 3mm odd hole down through the centre of the front L shape, glue in a peice of control rod tubing (the clear stuff that comes in with the kit), bend up some appropriate piano wire, it's a good idea to do that spring loop as it helps to absord those hard nose landings - trust me, it works! LOL! Then epoxy it into the bottom engine mount hole.

Takes alot of messing around to get it in to fit, ideally you want to have the nose gear bent and in position within the tubing in the MDF mount before the MDF mount is slotted into the bottom engine hole on the fuse! The top of the landing gear, I glued and wrapped with cotton string an glue a little round loop thingy and a rubber grommet to be able to hook up a control rod to run back to the rudder servo. Takes a bit of messing around as it's fidgety. Then you'll need to route a hole through the fuse to run the control rod to the servo... all fun and games but rewarding if you can do it, it's great to be able to taxi around with the trike U/C. Almost need a little hanger at the field to be able to taxi and park in after a perfect landing!

This nose gear setup takes a heck of a beating... the other weekend I had lost elevator control and had to bring it in adjusting throttle, ended up coming in too slow and got into a nose dive and smacked the nose right into the runway very hard... this nose gear absord the impact without any damage to the rest of the plane well apart from smashing the prop into a few peices, all it did to the nose gear was bend the wheel back a bit! LOL! tough as a brick! LOL!

Only real downside to this technique is it's permanent! There's no unscrewing this nose gear! I have made up som custom floats aswell, so when it's float day I just take the wheel off and leave the nose gear sitting there... doesn't effect the floats at all.
Michnet76 is offline Find More Posts by Michnet76
Old Feb 23, 2005, 03:18 PM
Barnstormin' Buckaroo
Adirondack Foothills,Upstate New York
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
Dubro 1/2A Steerable Nose Wheel mount on a 1/8" Balsa Ply.4 2-56 T-nuts from backside,then epoxied into cut-out recess with a piece of motor stick mounted in lower hole,cut flush with recess,for added integrity.I used a wood scewer to make a hole up to the rudder servo and glued in a plastic tube for control wire.With the 2-56 screws,it can be easily removed for addition of floats.Also,with the EPS350,it tended to be tailheavy.This "useable" weight ballanced it out nicely.

Waldo P.
waldo p is offline Find More Posts by waldo p
Old Mar 06, 2005, 12:15 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Im going to attempt this mod as well, but I want mine removable so I can also use floats.

Is there anyway to do this mod (w/ or w/o wheel stearing) and not have it perminate??

Thanx alot
-Jake

P.S. Nice planes!
Hows about an N#, Waldo?
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Mar 06, 2005, 12:17 PM
Vicksburg, MI
Joined Jul 2004
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
Im going to attempt this mod as well, but I want mine removable so I can also use floats.

Is there anyway to do this mod (w/ or w/o wheel stearing) and not have it perminate??

Thanx alot
-Jake

P.S. Nice planes!
Hows about an N#, Waldo?

It looks like Waldo's gear is removable, but I'll wait for him to explain it to you.

-Daniel
Daniel11 is offline Find More Posts by Daniel11
Old Mar 07, 2005, 08:37 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Thanks, Daniel.

I just installed mine last night.
Tested it this morning and i LOVE it!!

Its not stearable, but I still have plinty of rudder athority for TO and rollout after landing.

Im very happy with this mod! I might make it steirable later on, but for now im very happy with my 20min opperation

It even ROGs off grass!!

I just took some 16 gage wire and made it to fit in the stock LG braket by making it a copy of the main's bend that fits in the braket and just pulled it strait down about 3" so it would fit a 2" wheel from my old Corsair and screwed it in.
Simple huh??

-Jake
Old Mar 07, 2005, 09:42 AM
Barnstormin' Buckaroo
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake

Thanx alot
-Jake

P.S. Nice planes!
Hows about an N#, Waldo?
The part number for the 1/2A kit should be #234.It can be found on Dobro's web catalog at:

http://dubro.com/DUBRO2005CATALOG/index.htm

Looks like you've already come up with something,but this mod can be done at any time.From the side pic you can see how much I recessed it.Just enough to give the full surface of the mount I made.I also cut a piece of motor mount stick long enough to fit what was left of the lower mounting hole and glued it in.This gave full contact area for the homemade steering mount.The mount is a piece of 1/8 balsa plywood that is cut just a little bigger than the nylon steering mount.I marked the 4 holes and then drilled 1/8" holes and mounted 2-56 T-nuts in from the back.This may be a litttle overkill,but I still tend to over-do things with these foam planes.Once glued in and mount screwed on,I could mark the entry point for the contol rod.With a little eying up,and luck,I twisted and worked in a 1/8" sharpened wooden scewer,at approx. the right angle,up through the fuselage to the rudder servo.Then glued in a plastic guide tube.The wheel wire is bent and hooked into an available servo horn hole.It doesn't turn as much as the rudder,but it still works just fine.The whole assembly can be unbolted for the addition of floats,or to return to a tail dragger.Hope this helps.

Waldo P.
Last edited by waldo p; Mar 07, 2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2005, 06:17 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Thanks for the explination, Waldo!

Mine wont be as extinsive, but I will try it becasue im sure, after a couple weeks of not being about to ground opp. as much(I like to taxi around after flight till the BEC kicks in) that i'll get tired of not getting to grouns opp. and have to make a steirable one.
Its amazing what i can convinse myself to do when I get bord

I would have done it first, but I had some extra time and I REALY wanted to see how it looked and performed ASAP
Old Mar 08, 2005, 07:14 AM
Barnstormin' Buckaroo
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
I know all about talkin' yourself into something.I wasn't even that interested in teh E-Starter 'till I saw a picture of a white and yellow Cessna 172 on airliners.net.Next thing you know,another plane in the Hangar.With my setup,as I said,the nose wheel doesn't turn as much as the rudder.But that makes for very stable ground handling.You can make the wheel turn more by hooking up the control wire with the rudder wire using a Dubro easy-connector.Myself,I'm just waiting for some descent flying weather up here in the Northeast.50 degrees Yesterday nad 4 to 8 inches of snow today.Never boring up here.

Waldo P.
Old Mar 08, 2005, 02:29 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Talk about it!

I never was even looking at one! I just saw it as another trainer untill my friend Bill(the LHS woner, who I build his foamys for) let me build one and test fly/trim it and I just loved it! Its alot more than the basic trainer as I once thaught! Very stable, fast, scale looking, and 3ch. aerobatic, and so on...! Just as versitile as the Slow Stick...almost

He let me have one for $25 sence he had four extras @ the shop he couldn't get rid of!
It would be worth the regular price to me, but i'll take a discount

Yeah, I too know what your talking about when you say 'Never boring with the weather'
Its been 16MPH+ winds sence friday and mostly clouds. And snow today and thunderstorms last night after a 25* temp. change in the afternoon yesterday!!
I dont know about anyone else but im SURE as hell ready for some stable April air!
I HATE March! Its a teasing month! great day one day, but 2 days later your up to your hips in snow and wind *tear*
Old Mar 08, 2005, 02:44 PM
Barnstormin' Buckaroo
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
Same degree of uncertainty up here.With skis on my Piper and floats on my Beaver,I'm flyin' year 'round,if my fingers can take it.Even with the extra drag,they both handle the wind just fine when it comes.The last flight in the fall with my E-Starter however,was a bit more hairy.I noticed with mine that when flying into the wind,sometimes it'll get pushed down,instead of climbing like my other 2 top wings.Is this something that's just an ideosyncrocy of mine,or have you experienced this also?
Old Mar 08, 2005, 04:32 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Lol, yes, I have skies ready for my SS when I get it and floats(which work better than skies on snow, I have found...) ready to be installed on the E-S, as long as the wind holds out im planning the same, but when the wind is over 10 but under 20 my Aerobird Challenger w/480DD motor and 7 900mAh cells is ready to duke it out with the gusts.

Yes, thats why im not flygin it in anythign over 8mph! I've had this happon with most of my planes, especialy the low wingers, but the E-S for some reason tends to get puhed down and slamed around a bit more than the others...

I think its becasue its got alot of wing area, yet is about as light as a slow stick(atleast mine is). But it might be somethign else, but in any matter, we get the smoothest and most injoyable flights on any plane when winds are under 5mph.

If you realy want to fly it winds over 5-8mph, you can install 2 servos and make flaperons so you can lower the flaps in the wind which will tend to push the plane up, just make sure you dont add too much, or you will ballon up and up with all teh air speed from the increased wind and it will stall, then nose over and bepushed strait back to earth.

Now that you go tme to think of that, I think i'll do that!

-Jake
Old Mar 09, 2005, 04:45 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Problem

After flying my E-S around at about 1/2 the hole time, in 36* temps with ~8mph winds, my battery STILL over heated!!
Its almost too mot to touch!

Has anyone else had problems with their batteries over heating, even while cruising around??

If you did, how did you fix it?

How should I fix it??
My E-Starter is purly stock excepte for the LG and im flying a GWS 8cell 730 Ni-MH pack, which tends to get warm, but not near this hot!
C-10 ESC, as well.

PLEASE HELP!!

-Jake
Old Mar 27, 2005, 09:30 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
I did the trike gear mod on my ES and love it...spent a few mins taxiing around the cul se sac. Used the DuBro nose gear and ran a piano from the clevis of the nose gear thru the elevator servo arm and back to the rudder control horn.

Has anyone made wheel pants for their ES...the wheels throw up a lot of dirt to the bottom of the main wing and fuselage.

Here are a few pics of my mod.

http://www.ariestechnologies.com/estarternosegear1.jpg
http://www.ariestechnologies.com/estarternosegear2.jpg

I decided to make a battery hatch cover, If I decide to use floats might glue a thin rubber gasket on the perimeter of the hatch to make it water tight. Here are a few pics of the mod.

http://www.ariestechnologies.com/est...yhatchopen.jpg
http://www.ariestechnologies.com/est...atchclosed.jpg

Regards,

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Last edited by gwong; Mar 28, 2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 06:57 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
I thaught of wheel pants, bu tIm using the stock 3" spider wheels, so It would look very goofy with huge 3"+ wheel plants