SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:14 AM
Semper Fly--Pro-Bro #2095
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D Flight Flex EP arf

Anyone got it yet? I really wanted to get the SX-3 from the guys off of our RCgroups site, but this one has a motor included, mass produced and a bit less expensive. If anyone reads the site link reply and tell me what you think. I really want a 3d foamie and this looks like it. If its half as durable and flys half as well as the videos of the sx3, then it will be worth it. The guy that is Arfing the sx-3 hasnt written me back yet anyways.

It has a copy of the instruction manual to view. Didnt look to bad even for someone like me who doesnt really have a lot of mechanical aptitude! Anyways, lets get some replies and opinions before i order this thing already!

Here's the site: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=G&I=LXJPU8
Merkaba is offline Find More Posts by Merkaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:52 AM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
It sounds interesting but its even uglier than the original!
Trogdor is offline Find More Posts by Trogdor
Old Feb 23, 2005, 04:49 AM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
It doesn't look too bad.
I must say that a 280 motor geared 5:1 should fly it but I'm
skeptical as to whether it would hover or not.
Also, they recommend a 3S LiPo and a 30Amp ESC....
I bet that 3S LiPo would fry the 280 motor real fast in a hover.
Personally, I think I would equip it with a BP21 brushless combo from Balsapr.com

Hermitt
Hermitt is offline Find More Posts by Hermitt
Last edited by Hermitt; Mar 15, 2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 05:45 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
A couple quick things I noticed:

- "Do not use standard CA glue on this model as it will dissolve the structure."
* This means it is not EPP or anything as rugged.
- 30A ESC
* This is probably for the BEC higher rating due to 4 servos.
- Replacement motor: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...11&FVPROFIL=++
* This is more motor than a 'standard 280' It just says '280 size'
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:59 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
ok, just saw one at the LHS. The fuse actually has a zipper to hold the battery in! WEIRD. it seems to be hollow, just sheets of some foam for wings and fuse with formers and ribs to hold the shape. You can bend it in half and it comes back.

The motor is one of the new fancy BB 280s they use with the YAK 55. I picked up a YAK today, and although I'm using a spare brushless motor in it, I'll try that 280 just to see. I think I read that it'll hover the YAK but barely.
Trogdor is offline Find More Posts by Trogdor
Old Feb 23, 2005, 02:41 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
Yikes! That is ugly. I'm not a big fan of Great Planes, anyway.
shakysticks is offline Find More Posts by shakysticks
Old Feb 24, 2005, 01:01 AM
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
ok, just saw one at the LHS. The fuse actually has a zipper to hold the battery in! WEIRD. it seems to be hollow, just sheets of some foam for wings and fuse with formers and ribs to hold the shape. You can bend it in half and it comes back.

The motor is one of the new fancy BB 280s they use with the YAK 55. I picked up a YAK today, and although I'm using a spare brushless motor in it, I'll try that 280 just to see. I think I read that it'll hover the YAK but barely.
Yea it reminds me of the SX-3 which looks like a super joy to fly and judging by the videos of him ramming it into the side of the steps was extremely durable. Of course that was the inventors version. I really want a foamie I can fly in the park, parking lot, yard, ya know, for those days i cant make it to the field (about 25 minutes away) with the gasser. I just dont know how easy it would be to get that sx-3 together and worth a damn since I'm not much on building up anything, i would rather have it dropped off at my step ready to run with the switch on. Keep me posted please trog, or recommend me a foamie with an airfoil.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 01:09 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
I saw that plane on TH. I got the 40 size. The foamie one makes it look bad. OMG look at the nose on that foamie..

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Feb 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
hehe...yea i have the 40. its like a damn kite.
Old Mar 08, 2005, 10:43 PM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
CA will melt my EPP ... I saw one in the hobby shop. I think its epp dude.
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
Old Mar 17, 2005, 03:02 AM
Duh
grain valley mo, or about 25 minutes east of kansas city
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
are you sure it's epp? I've been gluing several epp planes together the last couple of days and using regular ca plus excellerator. made the glue smoke with no damage.
one of our club members had one of these planes at last weekends indoor session, it is not an indoor plane, that's for sure. he actually managed to break it and never got it to fly after 3 or 4 attempts before he broke the nose off at the wing.

Jason
crashawk is offline Find More Posts by crashawk