SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:59 AM
just another $$$ hobby
Rustburg, Virginia, United States
Joined Aug 2004
1,033 Posts
video editing software

I was wondering...sine we got this new Canon zr200 MiniDV camcorder, and I can place my movies on my PC, is there any free editing software out there that is worth a darn? I have a few minutes of a flight time but want to edit it...cut a few sections..add a little music. I tryed in Windows Movie Maker but didnt work so well.

Rich
radcast2 is offline Find More Posts by radcast2
Old Feb 23, 2005, 08:07 PM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
I tried a bunch of freebies and low-end software with much knashing of teeth.

Went out and bought Sony's Vegas Movie Studio 4 (with DVD Architect) for $99.
Super program; zero problems.

With my $50 16x Lite-On DVD burner from newegg.com I'm transfering all my old videotapes over to DVDs with much rejoicing :-)

I can also recomend the Plextor CovertX USB2 ($135 from newegg.com) for converting standard analog (VHS and 8mm) tape to the computer. Works fantastic.
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Feb 23, 2005, 08:11 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
if your running windows (xp i know for sure) windows has "microsoft movie maker" wich has been very good to me and is very easy to use..... been good enough to delay me from buying new software like pinnicle studio 9 (wich is amazing but costly).

try windows... super easy and very nice to use with a mini DV

check out my website www.slopeaddiction.com under video's, check out the "new video's" for better compression with windows movie maker

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Feb 23, 2005, 08:35 PM
just another $$$ hobby
Rustburg, Virginia, United States
Joined Aug 2004
1,033 Posts
thank youboth for your assistance....I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff..I was toying with movie maker2 but didnt have much luck with adding music to videos. I got a free trial of the Ulead Video editing and it seems pretty easy..just gotta really work on it. I will toy around with the Movie Maker2 again.....
My MiniDV allows me to plug my 8mm into it and record my analog movies onto the minidv tape..then onto PC for DVD/CDR/CDRW..although my PC doesnt have a DVDrom or DVD burner.

Rich
radcast2 is offline Find More Posts by radcast2
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:29 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Ulead is good software. But, it can be a bit unintuitive at times.

I bought Roxio Videowave 7 and found it to be very intuitive.
Roxio often gets some bad press, but I find this software to be easy to use and quite powerful.

The only gripe I have is that when capturing, it doesn't detect scenes and make separate files.
So, actually, I use Ulead to capture the video - since it does support scene detection and then edit with VideoWave

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G