Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2005, 03:25 PM
CrashingBama
Orange Beach, Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
295 Posts
Rave
Boeing 777-200 scratch build project

I have begun construction on a scale 777-200, roughly 1/46 scale. it is my first scratch build, so i have a large learning curve to overcome. luckily, i have found many useful threads, and replies to other threads of mine have always been extremely helpful. without this site, i probably wouldnt give this a shot.

anyways, on to the details. the plane is 140 cm long and the wingspan is 151 cm. this of course is about 20 cm wider of wingspan for scale, but after talking to bob at www.flyingfoam.com he informed me that for an airliner, it would be advisable to add a little length. so arbitrarily, i picked 10 cm on each wing. the core is being cut from Dow bluefoam purchased at Lowes. again, a suggestion i picked up from this site. currently, i have plans to power it with two Vasa 65 fans w/ scale narcelle. it was these narcelle which determined the ultimate size of the plane. I currently have selected brushless MEGA ACn 16/15/2, which according to a chart i found, gives over 700g of thrust in the Vasa 65 EDF. If anyone knows of something more powerful, please let me know...as I will probably be a little heavy.

As if building from scratch wasnt enough of a challenge, i have also added a few features to my build list. I want to incorporate retractable landing gear with nose steering abilities. also, scale moving flaps, with spoilers. the wings also have to be detachable for transport. that being said, i will admit spending 8 hours building mock up front landing gear of varying complexities with so far no success.

as of now, i have the fuselage built. the only part i plan on not building is the wings. i am ordering them precut. not that i want to cut corners, its just that i have never built a plane before, and if i get the wing wrong, well, there goes the project. i plan on using 1/16 balsa sheeting to cover, and maybe fiberglass??? this is where i need input. is balsa wood enough? is fiberglass too heavy? what are some other options.

I will post pictures soon, as well as updates! wish me luck...

Oh, the mail just came and i got my Alfa Mig-15 today, so that should satisfy my flying urges for a while. my only other operational plane is a J-3 cub, which currently resides 30ft up in a pine tree. luckily, i can see it from my office window. my gws A-10 was reduced to useless particles of foam. I scrapped the innards from it and am awaiting the arrival of a gws c-130 slope glider, where i will modify it with the edf 55/300 units from the A-10.

well, with all i have ahead of me, i should quit typing and get started!

pete
alabamaboatguy is offline Find More Posts by alabamaboatguy
to remove ads between posts