HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2001, 09:10 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Slow Go problem "HELP"

I just finished a Slow Go from HL and on the first flight the gearbox shattered. The plane, for those who don't know, is a low wing Wingo with a built up fuselage. It came with a speed 280 and a 3:1 gear box and a APC 9x4.7 prop. Half way trouugh the first flight the gear box broke and I need something to replace it with. It seemed a little weak in the knees but I am not sure if this was because of the box going south or just not enough power from the 280. I was running 8 cells of 350mah. Will the GWS DX something work on this 16oz all up weight plane. I had a Lite Stick that came with a DX-A motor and a 10X4.7 prop but the plane only weightd 7oz and flew at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I read that the DX-A is suppose to swing an 8x6 but they give you a 10x4.7. Wassup! Any help in choosing a GWS setup will be greatly appreciated. Did a search but came up short. HELP Tom smith
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2001, 09:42 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I would try replacing the broken 280 gb with an Mp Jet 4:1 gearbox. I use them all the time with an APC 9x6 prop. You can get the ball bearing one for $26 or the Bushing one for $10 They are a quality unit, in fact the best that I've tried yet. 16 ozs is pushing it though, you could always go to a speed 300 motor at the cost of high amp draw. The 300 fits 280 gearboxes by just sanding out the mounting hole a little bit. A 280bb motor would give you sufficiant power at a cost of about $30. Do a search in this forum about recent 280 gearbox discussion.

In my opinion the dx motor will not fly a plane of that weight--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Apr 30, 2001, 03:05 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2001
7 Posts
Tom,

Here's a description of the GWS EPS 280 motor power system. Just follow the links.
http://servoman.hypermart.net/english.htm

My understanding is that the 'standard' EPS comes with a 280 motor and the 'deluxe' EPS comes with a 380 motor.

The IPS power system (as opposed to the larger EPS) from GWS, which we commonly know as the '180 size' DX-A Lite Stik motor/gearbox will only fly a plane of upto seven ounces. In other words, you need a 'EPS' 280 power system for a 16 oz. airplane.

Don't know if anyone carries it yet, but price should be in the twenty dollar range.

Hope this helps.
SFRCer is offline Find More Posts by SFRCer
Old Apr 30, 2001, 08:35 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,731 Posts
A much nicer unit than the GWS stuff is the MTM S-300 which you can get from Northeast Sailplanes. This is a 5:1 Speed 280BB (or 8:1) but for your airplane, but I'll bet the 5:1 swinging an APC 8 x 4 prop on an 8 cell 720 NiMH pack will work very well. This is the setup I use on my Megowcoupe, which gives long flights, yet has enough power to give a decent rate of climb. The Megowcoupe I think comes in at about 17 ounces (maybe a little less). The advantage to this unit is that if you dork the airplane, you can upgrade to a larger prop and nicads, and fly something in the low 20 ounce range instead. The unit is very well made and sturdy- not to be compared with GWS.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 30, 2001, 09:12 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Thanks guys. Megowcoupe, I was considering the MTM system. Saw them at NEAT Fair and they look real nice. I eventually want to put floats on this plane so the weight will get closer to 20 oz. The nose of the plane sits real high so prop clearance is no problem. It could swing a 14" prop without hitting. Money isn't the big issue, quality and reliability are. How many amps does your MTM draw and with how many cells and what prop. Thanks again. Tom
Old May 01, 2001, 07:42 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
There certainally must be more guys out there who bought one of these. Wassup! Let me have it, the inside scoop that is, on a power drive system for this plane that will last more than one flight. MTM s300 looks good but there must be more. Slowflyer, are the MP Jet's the ones sold by HL. Tom
Old May 01, 2001, 08:50 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,731 Posts
Tom

I don't have an ammeter so I have to do all my testing the hard way- i.e. plug in a pack and see what happens. I have 3 of the S300 units- none of them have given me any trouble and all are installed in airplanes. By now, I've got several dozen flights on more than one of these units. I'll lay long odds that in terms of quality- these things are better built than the other stuff. Ask Sal at Northeast Sailplane- he's selling them as well. Plus, MTM will sell you parts so the entire thing is rebuildable.

In terms of batteries and props-- here's what I've found. The 8:1 unit can swing the largest 11 x 7 APC slow flyer prop on an 8 cell 720 NiMH pack fine. It's been reported on the Zone that the max draw on this pack is probably about 3.5 amps. This unit hauls around my 18? ounce (maybe a little lighter) Sopwith Tripe fine- very scale like but with plenty of climb. I also flew this plane on both a 6 cell 350 nicad pack and a 6 cell 500 nicad pack- Definitely more guts with the NiMH at the same weight as nicads.

The 5:1 unit can swing an 8 x 4 on either 8 or 9 720 NiMH cells. This should be OK in a plane under 16-17 ounces. However, at 20-21 ounces- it didn't hack it in my Herr Cherokee (review of which should be coming out one of these days here). When I went to a 9 inch prop (either a 9x 4 or 9 x 6) the amp draw exceeded what the NiMHs were happy with. I got more power on a 7 cell 600 AE nicad pack. If you come up with NiMH cells that take higher amps than the 720s (I've heard about a 500 mAH sold by Wattage that takes more amps and weighs the same) they may work.

Anyhow- for a high quality gearbox mated to the Speed 280BB motor- I doubt you'd be unhappy with this one.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old May 01, 2001, 09:47 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Thanks Sam, that's the kind of testimonial I was looking for. You have them, you fly them, and they are built well, I saw that at NEAT, what more could I ask for. I will call Sal tomorrow and order one with the 8:1 box. That should be just about perfect for the Slow Go. Tom