HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:30 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
What "Changes" are we talking about here? The stupid thing where the American woman wanted to where a burkha in her Driver's license photo? Didn't that end with the woman having to actually have a full facial pic as stated by law?

I'd love to see some specific cases where "Immigrants" are "Making" America change things to suit themselves. How long does someone have to be a citizen before they are to be allowed to try to get what they want?

If Mcdonalds chooses to post it's menu in the languages of it's most prevalant customers as a business decision, should the Government have the right to make them post it only in English?
But change does come. So much of our "American" culture is a mix-match of various other cultures. Here in Houston the breakfast of choice are Kolaches, which is an Eastern European thing. Hot dogs are from Germany, the ice cream cone originated as a waffle, people still go to Karaoke bars ... change comes to us in fashions and fads, in trends and styles. The American culture adapts by absorbing and ingesting, making it into it's own ... but this new trend toward PC sensitivity just isn't right.

Instead of allowing our culture to expand by accepting, it's being held hostage and forcing it to adapt not by absorbing other cultures, but rather by forcing us to accomodate other cultures.

Here's one peeve that really got me steamed ... my phone was with SBC and one of the services I had was voice mail. My voicemail instructions came in two flavors ... Spanish, or English AND Spanish. I didn't have a choice to just have English instructions for my voicemail. Needless to say we don't use them anymore, but still ...

As for McD's ... your right ... I wouldn't want the Government to dictate what language the menu should be in just as I don't want the Government to dictate whether or not a restaurant can allow smoking or not. If I don't like what I see, I'll simply take my business elsewhere...it would just peeve me is all.

Logan5
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:30 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
When I go to a Chinese restaurant, I think it's cool that the menu is in Chinese with english subtitles ... but I would get a little peeved if I went to McD's and found the menu in five different languages.Logan5
As long as there are pictures i can point to if necessary, I don't care if the menu is in Klingon.

Actually, I believe 'Big Mac' and 'Quarter pounder with Cheese' are said the same in any language.

English is the official language in this country though (except for SoCal, Texas, and south Fla ). As such it should be the first language listed if signs or menus have to be made multilingual, IMO.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:49 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
As long as there are pictures i can point to if necessary, I don't care if the menu is in Klingon.

Actually, I believe 'Big Mac' and 'Quarter pounder with Cheese' are said the same in any language.

English is the official language in this country though (except for SoCal, Texas, and south Fla ). As such it should be the first language listed if signs or menus have to be made multilingual, IMO.

Rick
IIRC, it is also the official language here, thanks to the late, great senator S.I. Hayakawa.

Even here, English is the language of business, while Spanish (Which most of us took four years of in high school) is the language of construction trades and domestic service industry. Probably 70% of the people I know are of hispanic ancestry, and almost no one I know speaks "Good" Spanish.

Klingon is mostly spoken here by those Trekkers who refuse to integrate into normal society.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:40 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
"This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity." -from the original rant letter.

I thouht that was our national identity.

Please, for the good of the USA, stop the whining! 25,000 people die of hunger or lack of medical care everyday in this world and some stupid bozo has to write a stupid letter that he is bothered about he "thinks" he has to say Season's Greetings. He is an idiot. Merry Christmas, tt.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Feb 22, 2005, 03:54 AM
Connecticut
Joined Aug 2004
442 Posts
"All I have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS?"

Well, I've got my flame suit on. Triple layered it for what might come. But I'm pleading with you in advance to not jump on me, jump on the U.S. Supreme Court or better yet resolve in your soul what is right and what is wrong. Here we go.

Mark, and others. I don't know when they will do something your rights, as you don't have any right to be here in the first place. I know this is extremely difficult to admit for those of us that have made tremendous sacrifices and worked very hard to get here. Some of us were taken here unwillingly. In any case you are living on land that was swindled and stolen from Native Americans. You know, if you do some research you'll find that the Indians never 'sold Manhattan for trinkets'. I know that is what you were taught in grade school. But it's a lie. The original thieves and swindlers initial intent was not to steal anything, only to escape religious persecution. They were actually very good people at heart, as evidenced in there willingness to let others less fortunate then themselves share in the spoils. To this very day, the descendants of the original thieves and swindlers proudly display a plaque in NYC welcoming tired, hungry, and poor folks from around the world to share in the spoils.
So here we all are. What, about 360 million non Native Americans living here now? So what to do? As Billy Graham once said "You can't unscramble eggs". About the best we can do is let the descendants of the original owners life rent-free on 'our' property.
Have a little respect and stop arguing about 'your' land and 'your' property and who does and doesn't have a 'right' to be here.
GaryRC is offline Find More Posts by GaryRC
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:09 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Garyrc, overlooking the fact that land ownership was a concept to many of the native Indians as strange as ours would be of the air we breathe, how far back in history would we have to trace our roots to have an undisputed rights to our land. Where I am now sitting has evidence of Neanderthal, Cromagnon, Celtic, Roman, Moorish, Jewish and back to Spanish possession, occasionally punctuated with Iberian, Visigothic and others. To whom does it belong? After all that stirring of the gene-pot, what is nationality or race or whatever?
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 22, 2005, 09:32 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Earth belong to man
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:43 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Gary, you have a valid point, which I was trying to make earlier. It's a supreme irony for someone (Whiner) to feel he has some entitlement to demand no change to "his" society and land, even though it was all taken by force, exploitation, and simple evolution from the previous inhabitants.

If the American "Culture" is so weak that it can't survive bilingual menus and ethnic influxes, it deserves to go the way of the Amerind cultures.

Martin, if a Neanderthal or Cro-magnon comes around and demands his land back, I would suggest you give it to him. Those "Early man" types have no sense of humor.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:10 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
And I thought it was just my prominent brow ridges that gave me my nick-name
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:23 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
And I thought it was just my prominent brow ridges that gave me my nick-name
Super orbital torus

The one thing I remember from college anthropology.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:51 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Have you seen the Geico TV commercial where the fella says Its so easy a caveman man could do it"? Then the caveman/camera man says "Not Cool" and walks off mad......

That darn commercial slays me every time.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,932 Posts
What, is this a thread of whining about the whiners?

chill and have some KALEEFORNEEAH wine......
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:08 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys

That darn commercial slays me every time.

Wiz
Knowing some camera men, that may be a real guy...

I like the one with the cats looking at the spokesgecko with hunger.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 01:12 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Knowing some camera men, that may be a real guy...
What's that suppose to mean?

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:04 PM
Connecticut
Joined Aug 2004
442 Posts
"how far back in history would we have to trace our roots to have an undisputed rights to our land." "To whom does it belong?"

Martin,

There in lies the real question. It's not a black or white question, and can only be resolved on an individual basis. The question in Spain is even more complex. As for myself, living in the U.S., I consider two things. The first is simply right versus wrong, which I'll admit is as subjective as anything can get. The second is to have faith in the conclusions that the highest court in our land have come to.

lrsudog - "Those "Early man" types have no sense of humor." Thanks for the best laugh I've had all week!

Looooeeee! - "What, is this a thread of whining about the whiners?" Yup.
No kidding, I really took your advice and busted out a bottle of wine. And it IS California wine! Thanks!
(and so I'm now logging off as I really don't care about who has rights as much as I did about a half an hour ago)
GaryRC is offline Find More Posts by GaryRC