HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:53 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
America, love it or leave it!

This really sums it up! Story in Tampa Newspaper:

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice?????? Think about it .

All I have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings. It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break . Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that. This says it all!

This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is

OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity! to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Feb 21, 2005, 02:09 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Yeah, yeah. Same old half witted, half factual baloney that "Real" Americans have been bellowing about since Ellis Island was opened.

Adapt or die.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:02 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Gowing up in Hawaii where we had arguably one of the more diverse collection of cultures, languages and traditions and yet we never had bi-lingual classes in public schools. We had ESL classes where children were taught to read, write and speak English, but that was an extra class they had to take.

And when I went back for Christmas vacation last year, there was a manger scene on the State capitol lawn. Heck ... even the temple my mom goes to had a Christmas tree.

Nice to know paradise has not been over run by the PC Nazis ... yet.

Logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:09 PM
brushless nutjob
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2004
235 Posts
It didnt say adapt or die, it said adapt or live elsewhere. Which is entirely possible. to the north of us is Canada, to the south of us is Mexico. Further south, there is a wide variety of cultures and beliefs in a wide variety of countries. if you dont like it here, go somewhere else. If i came into your house and said, "I dont like your wallpaper, take it down", would you do it? or would you tell me to get out of your house? I know what I would do.
Inverted_Fly is offline Find More Posts by Inverted_Fly
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:32 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted_Fly
It didnt say adapt or die, it said adapt or live elsewhere. Which is entirely possible. to the north of us is Canada, to the south of us is Mexico. Further south, there is a wide variety of cultures and beliefs in a wide variety of countries. if you dont like it here, go somewhere else. If i came into your house and said, "I dont like your wallpaper, take it down", would you do it? or would you tell me to get out of your house? I know what I would do.

Ludicrous. Every person that has come to the United States has tried to change it as they see fit.

The greatest change was instituted by the founding Fathers themselves. To say that it is now the way it "Should" forever be is just silly.

I'd question just how much of the "Change" being attempted is from immigrants anyway.

BTW, I said "Adapt or die". America will change, regardless of any individual's wishes. I was not paraphrasing the op/ed pieces theme.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:43 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
Good call, Fly!
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:46 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
fwiw, does anyone know the source of the original article? iirc I started seeing it float around the 'net and supposedly in chain emails ~beginning of 2002. Couple of different introduction and post-notes attached to it. I *belive* the original was suppose to be a response to FL's new Driver's License law that allowed covered faces in photo due to religion (you know which one), but I've also seen it introduced (as in this case) with Chirstmas a a background, etc.

As for the conents ...

add - okay, one of the earliest instance on usenet is Dec 20 2001

added - ah, a couple more keywords (which should have been obvious) and you get:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/beamerican.html

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/american.htm
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Last edited by Peter Khor; Feb 21, 2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:51 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
When I go to a Chinese restaurant, I think it's cool that the menu is in Chinese with english subtitles ... but I would get a little peeved if I went to McD's and found the menu in five different languages.

Change is good ... and just as we should embrace other cultures, shouldn't others embrace ours as well? Especially when they want to live with us?

Logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:20 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
What "Changes" are we talking about here? The stupid thing where the American woman wanted to where a burkha in her Driver's license photo? Didn't that end with the woman having to actually have a full facial pic as stated by law?

I'd love to see some specific cases where "Immigrants" are "Making" America change things to suit themselves. How long does someone have to be a citizen before they are to be allowed to try to get what they want?

If Mcdonalds chooses to post it's menu in the languages of it's most prevalant customers as a business decision, should the Government have the right to make them post it only in English?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:25 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
If Mcdonalds chooses to post it's menu in the languages of it's most prevalant customers as a business decision, should the Government have the right to make them post it only in English?
Yep!
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
Change is good ... and just as we should embrace other cultures, shouldn't others embrace ours as well? Especially when they want to live with us?
Because we are American. If you haven't figured it out, that means we are bad, horrid people. When we act, it is wrong, when we don't act, it is wrong. The world would be such a better place without Americans.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:49 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
... but I would get a little peeved if I went to McD's and found the menu in five different languages.
Logan5

As long as I can read "double cheeseburger " in one of those five languages I wouldn's care

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:09 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Because we are American. If you haven't figured it out, that means we are bad, horrid people. When we act, it is wrong, when we don't act, it is wrong. The world would be such a better place without Americans.

Paul
I agree completely..
Stereotyping and pigeon-holing people by groups is so un-American!
I'm certain that despite what Howard Dean says, there's a few Republicans who are nice people, thoughtful, considerate, compassionate..
Condeming an entire group because of the activities of a "media-inflated" minority ( or majority) isn't what America is about!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:26 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gund
...or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. .
Yes but Uncle Sam keeps showing up everywhere...

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:31 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Head
Yes but Uncle Sam keeps showing up everywhere...

HH
Yep, but only because we need too
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member