Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:31 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
Discussion
Molt Models Tyro 100, kitted by Mountain Models

First and foremost, those interested in purchasing one of these extremely versatile plane kits, see the following links...

Tyro 100 (the original Tyro)

Tyro 150

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The following is the original post which kicked off the
development of the original Tyro, now known as Tyro 100
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow ezoners,

I just wanted to get a general concensus on what everyone thinks of another E-trainer? This design will have the same look and flying characteristics of your run-of-the-mill 40 sized glow trainer. Actually, it will have a lower wing loading, so it should behave nicely...and not so low that it won't handle a breeze. The wingspan is 36", and has 248 sq in of wing area. For a power system you're looking at a 280 to 300 size brushed or brushless. I think a GWS EPS-300 system would fly her nicely.

I actually designed this plane just for myself, for things like aerial photography, glider towing, etc. Basically an electric RC SUV.

Lemme know what you guys think...

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Last edited by KSU Flyer; Jan 21, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:34 AM
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
here are a few more pics...keep in mind the design isn't complete just yet.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:19 PM
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
That popular...hey, thats what I needed to know. LOL
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:35 PM
Senior Member unum multum
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Dec 2001
355 Posts
Mike:

You might want to check out this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332383

BTW: What software are you using to do your 3D modeling with?
mudfarmer_mike is offline Find More Posts by mudfarmer_mike
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:41 PM
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
Yeah, I've seen Bill's trainer...and think its very neat. However this one has the look of a standard trike trainer. As opposed to some, I like trike gear, if done right they have a very positive control feel. The software used for the trainer is AutoCAD.

-Mike
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:43 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
I think its a great idea. A lot of the trainers we see for electric propulsion are in the "foamie-ARF" format. Thats great, since a lot of people are unwilling to build their first plane, or unwilling to build at all.

However there are those that WOULD be willing to build, and would prefer something more along the lines of a "club-trainer" only substituting the messy .25 or .40 glow for electric.

In my club, Im sure I could "sell" at the very least 5 or 6 people a year on an electric trainer of built up balsa construction. However, since we are talking about a club-environment, and one that is still mainly glow (though electric is growing fast) I think that it would be better with a slightly larger geared Speed 400 powered ailerontrainer. Personally I prefer the smaller planes (Speed 280-300) but then again, I really dont need a trainer. In the club-environment theres really no need for a 3ch basic trainer, with a buddybox you can jump straight for an ailerontrainer. And wind is a constant factor.
So..., a little bit larger and with a bit more power really goes a long way to convince the people who it is MOST important to convince when it comes to clubs. I am of corse NOT speaking of the newbies themselves, Im talking about the people who will be giving them advice on what to get; the old-farts. The closer you make it to what they are used to, the more they will be likely to recomend it.

We may be talking about different targetgroups though. But what Im missing right now is a built up electric ailerontrainer with 45-50" wingspan, lasercut and interlocking design and with good performance on a geared Speed 400 on 7-8 cells NiCad/NiMh or equivalent brushless and 2s Lipos. That to me would be the perfect electric club-trainer.

I may even be able to hook you up with a couple of hobbystores in Sweden who would be willing to stock it. Its not a huge market, but weve been discussing the need for such a plane for quite some time now, both in my club (Im a member of the board) and with different stores.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:45 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,722 Posts
Excellent engineering and Cad work. I esp. like the trike gear set-up. I will buy this trainer plane.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
cfw
fly! be free! uh oh
Spokane, WA
Joined Nov 2004
508 Posts
I like it. I have also been monitoring the SA squirt trainer, which looks pretty nice, but no ailerons currently.
I also like the trike, and is that a steerable nose wheel?
Is the battery compartment accessible through the hatch in the drawings?
cfw is offline Find More Posts by cfw
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
Anders,

Thanks for the insight, I also think there is a market for a larger trainer. However, I just can't get myself to do anything that big. I'm sold on the value of a park sized model, and just can't go larger. So I guess I'll probably loose a sale or two if this ever comes to fruition.

IWC,

Thanks, I like the trike gear set-up too.

cfwdude,

Yes it has a steerable nose wheel, I'll get some more shots of how that works up tonight. Yes, the hatch in the drawings is exactly where you put your battery pack in. I designed it to be compatible with lipo packs in the 1500mah and lower size, up to 3 cell.

-Mike
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:26 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Sometimes I buy something that I know somebody worked hard (or smart) on versus a mass-produced piece. This would be one of those cases. Best of all, it looks like a good plane. Count me in for one.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:59 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Hmmmmmm....... looks VERY much like a little LT-40.

So the battery goes in that upper forward hatch? That pretty well limits what battery weight you can use (like these pod/boom pushers like the EasyStar) I'd rather have something like Doug's SmoothE and what Bill's showing for SQuiRT - a nice big platform in the middle of the fuselage with lots of room to move the battery fore and aft, and a quick way in through a belly hatch. The rest of the plane would be designed to pretty much balance without a battery at all, and the battery would be used to fine-tune the balance or compensate for a much heavier or much lighter than intended motor/gearbox/prop. (sorry, it's hard to resist playing engineer....)

I'm in the taildragger camp. A small trike geared airplane is pretty much limited to smooth surfaces, and imposes more limitations on prop diameter.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:07 PM
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Hmmmmmm....... looks VERY much like a little LT-40.

So the battery goes in that upper forward hatch? That pretty well limits what battery weight you can use (like these pod/boom pushers like the EasyStar) I'd rather have something like Doug's SmoothE and what Bill's showing for SQuiRT - a nice big platform in the middle of the fuselage with lots of room to move the battery fore and aft, and a quick way in through a belly hatch. The rest of the plane would be designed to pretty much balance without a battery at all, and the battery would be used to fine-tune the balance or compensate for a much heavier or much lighter than intended motor/gearbox/prop. (sorry, it's hard to resist playing engineer....)

I'm in the taildragger camp. A small trike geared airplane is pretty much limited to smooth surfaces, and imposes more limitations on prop diameter.
As for looking like an LT-40...yeah, that and 'bout every other 40 size trainer.

Nope, the battery goes through that bulkhead and onto the bottom of the fuse. Take a look at the attached pic. It will be nice an comfortable in there, plus out of the way of my camera I plan to install just behind or in front of the servos.

I have a nice paved runway at my field so I tend to like trikes. However, I have a taildragger option as well. Regardless, I'll be showing some video of her taking off from the grass, so we'll see how that works out.

Thanks for your opinion...thats the kind of stuff I wanted to hear so I can decide whether or not to make something available.

-Mike
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,536 Posts
Looks interesting. But I think id be more interested in another IPS powered warbird. Perhaps a Mustang or Corsair?
brianb10 is offline Find More Posts by brianb10
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb10
Looks interesting. But I think id be more interested in another IPS powered warbird. Perhaps a Mustang or Corsair?
Hey now! Designers gotta have fun too. I just wanted to see what it was like to design and build something slab sided. I don't have that much time invested.

However, have no fear, I'll be back on the warbird path...just taking a quick break.

-Mike
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:42 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,536 Posts
Sounds great! Take your time. Its still winter up here in Minnesota.
brianb10 is offline Find More Posts by brianb10