SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:30 AM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
132 Posts
Question
Mousse can muffler with stock muffler

Just curious, has anyone added a mousse can muffler to their engine with the stock muffler on it as well? I was think of how I could quiet my .32 heli engine even more so I wanted to see if anyone has ever added a mousse can muffler to an existing stock engine/muffler set up.
Thanks
Myles
Jetset is offline Find More Posts by Jetset
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2005, 01:52 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
My brother used to fly at a field with very strict sound requirements for 2 stroke glow engines. He would regularly add a mouse can muffler as an aftermuffler to his engines and it did work quite well. There will, however be a slight power
loss.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Feb 22, 2005, 04:50 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Yes. They work well in tandem. And old fuel tank with random holes drilled in it works well too as an after muffler.

Once you put on an effective silencer, prop noise becomes much more of a factor. Prop noise is directly proportional to prop tip speed. To slow down prop tips without losing power, switch to a three bladed prop with one inch less diameter than your normal two blader. The engine will turn it at the same rpm but the smaller diameter means less tip speed and hence less noise. Not applicable to helis of course, just a general comment...

Whn you've done that, the next most significant area of noise is from the air intake. This can be silenced by an air filter and is something that works well on helis. Again, a little power loss, but that's better than losing a flying field.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:09 PM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
132 Posts
Hmm, thanks for those comments guys. I think I will try one out see what the outcome is.
DaveSawers,
Are you talking just a normal nylon fuel tank like a Sullivan?
Myles
Jetset is offline Find More Posts by Jetset
Old Feb 22, 2005, 06:49 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset
DaveSawers,
Are you talking just a normal nylon fuel tank like a Sullivan?
Myles
Yes. The advantage of the non rigid walls is that the tank "breathes" with the pressure pulses from the exhaust, reducing the resonance you can sometime get from a thin walled metal after muffler.

It doesn't look at all elegant but it is effective.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers