HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:52 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Gallery
Blu-Beagle, A DPF Pusher-Trainer

Here's the latest one I came up with (that works )... Merwin asked for suggestions for some budding builders and flyers, and wanted something to be compatible with a CDR motor...

Well, I thought about what I learned on (Firebird XL), and tried to do at least one better. I thought about the cheapest, readily available power system out there, and came up with the GWS EDP-100. It's a 280 motor spinning a 5x3 prop. It only pulls 3A, so it'll work fine on some smallish batteries, or even larger LiPo's for duration.

When I posted some pictures, Felix (sawicki) mentioned it was shaped like Snoopy, and the process whent from there

A pusher makes sense, so the nose-ins that are inevitable are easily repaired.

The construction is simple. The simplest way would probably to cut out the 'skins' for the head that GPW drew, and cut some foam to the outline. If you notice, I followed the shape of the head, all but around the motor mount. I felt the motor needed a hair more support. Once the sides are attatched to the fuse stick, make up the motor stick pieces. I used a popcycle stick for strapping the motor to, with some foam bits to hold it into the sides. Glue this assembly in place. Wrap a piece of FF around the nose and back side, and trim it along the edge. use a skewer as a drill, and put a couple of sticks in for the wing hold downs. Glue a block of FF in above them to help hold it. The tail is simply glued on...

The wing is simply formed to the approximate airfoil, then the tips propped up on a couple of 2x4 blocks (1.5"), and the center is heated with a heatgun, while gently pressing the center down to the bench... hold it until it cools, viola! Cut a slot on the top for a skewer to brace the wing, and glue it in...

Keeps the throws mild (1/2") deflection or so, and adjust to taste.

I haven't yet tried the V-tail or more power, since the weather turned for the worst, but should be no problem.

Alternate Power suggestions:
DCM-189/2s ratio/APC 7x4
EPS300C-2S
CDR motor wound for 7-8" prop as desired...

It should do fine with even fairly heavy NiMh packs, such as AAA's. Check the wing strength!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:53 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
The plans

I've uploaded the files here: http://www.genebond.rchomepage.com/Blu_Beagle/
Last edited by Gene Bond; Mar 10, 2005 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Download link
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:56 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here's how I figured out where I wanted to put my servos. I moved the battery around in the huge nose, and taped the other equipment on the see how it would do... I put a couple of pins through the side at the cg point, and got it balanced!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:03 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here's the hinge method I stole from Jerbear The only difference is he uses heavy strapping tape, and I use the cheapest 'scotch' tape I can find.

I slit the hinge line part way though the foam, making sure not to cut the skin on the other side.

Bend the flap back to pop the rest of the foam.

Run some tape over the skin on the uncut side. Bevel sand the edges on the edge of the bench, to open up the hinge line.

Put a couple pieces of tape across the hinge on the open side.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:35 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Gene that's agreat little design, I have an older friend that needs a plane that'll be easy to fly so I think I'll build one for him with a J250. Thanks

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:48 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Should do well, TM.

I just realized I didn't post the pictures with the 'Skins' on
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:56 PM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Hey Gene

What about removing the ears from the artwork, and making the wings the ears. Do some suble shape changes to them and paint em black with a sharpie.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:28 PM
Saint Petersburg, Fl
Joined Jul 2003
236 Posts
Hello Gene, thanks for posting the plans. Looking great. Can you describe how you are forming the wings?

Thanks,

Felix
sawicki is offline Find More Posts by sawicki
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:34 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Pretty neat Gene! Just the ticket to give my FF scale buddies the shakes
scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:49 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Glenn: I thought about using the wings as ears, but I'm no artist! I think this one came about as a 'flying Snoopy', so his ears would be blown back I don't know if I could balance it if I swept the wings very far

Felix: I just roll it back and forth on my workbench edge, which is an old rounded edge countertop. I just work it in, then temper it with the heatgun. You might also checkout GPW's 'Bendfoam Jig' thread. Several people are really impressed with the precision and simplicity.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:53 PM
penoyman
Joined Apr 2003
342 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. Simple build and basic parts. It sure looks like a perfect rudder stick trainer for me.
I will surely line this one on my next projects... just need to decide w/c of my planes needed to be retired to give way for this one.
rcplanebuster is offline Find More Posts by rcplanebuster
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:54 PM
penoyman
Joined Apr 2003
342 Posts
Gene,
I forgot to ask... what kind of tubing do you use to guide the control rods? I am looking for one for my Pitts project. Thanks!
-Jodan
rcplanebuster is offline Find More Posts by rcplanebuster
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:09 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Jordan: I have found several tubes that fit the .032 music wire. One is the DuBro pushrod kit, another is some I found at http://www.nyblimp.com/superior/PF.htm as well as some small Plastitruct tubes at the LHS, and of course coffee stir staws
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:09 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
GENE...That sure looks like FUN , especially with the 280 motor ,which UP till now I had almost no use for ....after all you are our motor GURU ... Thanks !!!!

Dep... I had thought of making the wing tips and tail the outline of the paws making Snoop look like his arms are out "flapping ".... But artistic freedom is a wonderfull thing ,and you're welcome to try the ear thing ...but ya' have to send us some cool pics ....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Why is it necessary to bewel both the edges of the Elevator??
wont one side be enough?(Or is ther some thing I am missing?)
-Ashwin
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king