HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2002, 03:30 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
GWS4CEO, please tell us how heat sinks are designed

Discussions of installing heat sinks on DX, DC motors crops up here frequently. The vast majority of people take the motor from the frame and slide the sink on. I tried that on my first one and the fit was so tight I felt I would damage the motor.

I now snap them on. I feel it's much easier and also the heat sink paste stays in place instead of being pushed away while sliding. I've done four that way and have had no problems. I haven't had a GWS motor fail me yet.

Are they designed to be snapped on or slid on?

Thanks,

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2002, 04:20 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Good question RB, I'd like to know too.

Do you file the edges or anything to make it easier to snap on? I'm worried that anodized aluminum doesn't like to bend and will lose some of it's tension by forcing it to snap.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 20, 2002, 04:40 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
BC,

I file it a tiny bit at an angle, more like removing a bit of flashing.

They don't snap on with finger pressure. I use vice grips. I haven't done one for a month or so, but it takes me two pushes, kind of get it started, then push the rest of the way. Part of the pliers is on the sink fins and part on the plastic under the motor.

As to losing tension, it does rotate on the motor, but with the grease under it I think it's ok. Do the ones you slide on from the end rotate?

RB
Old Mar 20, 2002, 04:41 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
I do love the Tiger Moth very much but, to be frank, beside the Heat sink problem, the manual booklet, with instructions, is something that could be done better... Especially for the new flyers... Is the Tiger Moth for the beginners? But well... how many products out there have good manual then? I had to sand off the heat sink to fit the motor's mount and slide it on. It is impossible to snap it on though, at least for me :-) :-) :-) happy flying.....
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000
Old Mar 20, 2002, 04:58 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
GWS IPS heat sink is designed to be slided on. But you need to remove motor screws and pull motor out from the front case frame, stay in rear frame, put heat sink between rean and front frames, push motor gentlely back through the heat sink.

apply haet transfer grease even better to help heat comming out easier.

Howevevr, do not apply any lub grease on gear, that may cause dust attach on gear surface, make gears wear out sooner.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Mar 20, 2002, 05:36 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
GWS4CEO,

Now we have the real info. Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

RB
Old Mar 20, 2002, 06:04 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
By all means.

I am glad to be here to help. Don't be hesitated to ask GWS, we would be glad to help you. Except some time during my international trips, I can not find internet connection for my notebook.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Mar 20, 2002, 06:36 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,353 Posts
GWS4CEO.. Your Magestesty,A question From a Humble Peasant..

Mr GWS4CEO.. Oh Honorable one. >bows< I dislike hijacking another's post, but This humble peasant has a question. I know I do not deserve an answer,but perhaps the Venerable masses may be humbled By your intellect. Is the great GWS factory going to put out a sub-micro reciever with 6 channels so we may rejoyce in using the great gift of sub-micro retracts on our Parkflyers? This humble servent has purchased many of the retracts in hopes of having a full-functioning Parkflyer, yet his only options are GIANT Brick recievers,or expensive micro recievers that still add over a half-oz wieght,and takes almost as much wieght in the form of US dollars from this humble servent's wallet. Perhaps the exhalted one could start a post on the subject,with upcomming information....
Humble servent Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Mar 20, 2002 at 06:43 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 06:49 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Anyone do the chamfer bit on the end of the heatsink that the motor pushes into? Take an Xacto #11 and gently carve a shallow bevel into the sharp edge of one end of the inner surface of said heatsink. It may take a few passes, but it'll help with sliding the motor in. Yes , and also use heatsink compound. ( I had a Radio Shack employee get all tweaked about me calling it grease.)
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Mar 20, 2002, 06:58 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
If you use heat sink grease, use just enough to 'wet' the surface of the motor, otherwise it'll pile up at the front of the motor, and get in the screw holes. The fit is tight enough i'd say you don't need any.
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Mar 20, 2002, 07:04 PM
Sweet!
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
Dear Mr. Lin,

Please forgive the ignorant--they know not that they know not.

Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Old Mar 20, 2002, 07:16 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Hey guys , don't know why you're hav'in problems with the heat-sink, but most application charts show on 10 % eff. of the sink no matter how smooth the mating surfaces (still has micro-size pits ) because of trapped air pockets....so....you're wasting a lot of sink ( and weight) if you don't use the proper paste.....since the tighter fit is preferred, why mess that up ???? try smoothing on a very complete but paper thin paste coating, then , using small vice-grip pliers, squeese up on the 3 or 4 inner-most fins...the sink will open up just enough to slide the bugger on the motor can (slight burr removal ok on sink ends.....voila....one complete , non- damaged, cool running GWS motor..........kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Mar 20, 2002, 07:26 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,862 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the heatsink on the motor? I bought heat sinks for my motors, but they cover three fourths of the motor and will not fit on the DXA. The heat sink extends well past the two supports under the motor. The best I can do is put the heat sink over the rear end of the motor, but I figure that is where the heat is generated anyway. Please explain, have I got the wrong heat sink?
Thanks,
Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Mar 20, 2002, 07:46 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Len.... the correct sink length is 15mm. ,the IPS gearbox opening at the outside closes up a little (maybe 0.5 mm).....are you sure you've got the right sink or has there been a DX gear box dimn. change ?..i've not had that problem.........kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Mar 20, 2002, 08:10 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,753 Posts
Demon-Leather:
I wasn't sure if your post was supposed to be funny - if it was, it wasn't.
It appeared to me to be disrespectful - I hope that wasn't your intention.
Look here for a 6 channel GWS receiver. An 8 channel is also available.
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/receivers/R6N.asp
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr