HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,577 Posts
Looks good Mman,
I do love the smell when sanding the poly/baby powder.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2013, 09:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Looks good Mman,
I do love the smell when sanding the poly/baby powder.

J
yep gonna leave now for a day or so to go off completely, then will sand outside i think. dont even wanna imagine the mess in here lol.

first time ive done this way with talc. ive used a lot of threads including yours for info.

getting close to a paint sceme now I like camo but really like how you did your big one. wieght wise, at moment it is 2 1/2 lb with elevator servo 530watt motor and motor extension wires run. so not a lot more to add. should be a floater
Marlbororman is offline Find More Posts by Marlbororman
Old May 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,577 Posts
It will be a floater. Good that you give the poly time to dry. It takes longer than you think and doesn't sand well if still a little "green".
Weight looks great so far. At this size you have plenty of room for batts up front to balance, always a problem with pushers and that heavy motor in the back.
You can cut the dust from sanding by wet sanding, always my preferred method for a slick finish.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Just plopped it back on the scales, Ive gained 6 ounces from the poly and talc on the top surface. A lot of that will be sanded off in a day or so though so not worried tbh
Old May 18, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
You can cut the dust from sanding by wet sanding, always my preferred method for a slick finish.

J
May try that then, i will be sanding outside so can splash a bit of water about
Old May 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
First coat sanded really nice. Cant believe how smooth a finish ya get. Gave another light coat this afty, I'll wait till later on tomorrow and give it a light sanding. Then I'll work on getting the bottom nice. Then will cut some hatches and get servos in and everything working nicely. Not far to go now J :-) gonna scoot over your f16 thread again for cutting the hatches and hinging nice

Ian.
Old May 20, 2013, 06:41 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
4,956 Posts
That looks great! All the prep work will be worth it once you put a coat of paint on.
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old May 20, 2013, 07:33 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,577 Posts
Nope, you're getting close now. She looks good.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2013, 07:35 AM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Getting very close now :-)
Old May 20, 2013, 07:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Ive just sanded again, and put a coat of primer on, not perfect and still got some areas to address, but getting there now trouble ive got is, it is a big plane to handle and its a case of either working on the top or bottom, not both at once lol. when primer dry gonna work on the bottom finish
Old May 23, 2013, 03:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Getting very close now. Need to get everything wired up now then get ailerons and stabs finished and attached. For comparison its sat on a king size bed !!! Still not received contact on a canopy I enquired about so plug is on (which im still working on) does anyone know anywhere in uk I can purchase one ?
Old May 23, 2013, 03:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
not many white bits left now
Old May 23, 2013, 06:59 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,451 Posts
Nice.

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old May 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Nice.

Woody
Thanks woody :-D not perfect I know but my first attempt at doing a fus like this.Gonna give all the primer a rub down then paint this bad boy. Dunno what scheme yet, fancy winter camo tbh . Will get everything fitted and wired up tomorrow then decide :-D
Old Aug 25, 2013, 03:19 PM
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
83 Posts
Well having learnt to fly, passed my solo and after joining a club I've decided it's time to start another scratch build project. I've previously 90% completed a HJ designed Spitfire, this will eventually be finished and flown I have decided I want an iconic F16 and having followed the last build without too many complications I thought I'd have a go at this.
I've been inspired by some of the guys at our club who are in to their jets so last night I printed the 90 odd pages of the 120% plan, cut each one and taped them together. With the wife and kids away for the week I'm hoping to make good progress and today I've cut out the various pieces and have begun the exciting part of gluing them all together. Can't wait to see this built, it's bigger than I expected and will look amazing flying at our field site. Wish me luck, I may well need it!
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting