HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:36 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Yep, thinking about that, at 120% size they miight be perfect for it.
J
that combination would scoot in most anything you put it in
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:41 PM
Crazy 'bout Bees
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined Oct 2005
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCParkflyer
They have a video on youtube something called redneck target practice where some guy flys a RC plane with a tow target, that everyone shotguns for I suspect much the same thing for the F-16 a "target of opportunity" probably proceeded with "Hey, Watch this"

I used FMS for a while works great for what it is, but nothing beats a busted servo in a wind gust
We're trading our Block 25 (old!) F-16's for Block 30's (not much newer!) within the next couple years. Our Commanders tried asking if our unit could keep one, to use as a static display plane. The answer was a definate no, all Block 25 F-16's are going to be used as towed drones to get shot up....
vax6335 is offline Find More Posts by vax6335
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:42 AM
Germany, Ladbergen
Joined Dec 2006
253 Posts
Maidened my F16 just an hour ago, complete success! She flew straight out of my hand, almost nothing to trim and cg was right. Lots of power with the following equipment:

3S Kokam 2400 mAh (30 C)
Axi 2814/12 (1390 KV) with prop 8x6
weight: 30 oz

The only problem was visibility since it doesnīt have itīs finish now. It was an almost white plane against an almost white cloudy sky, so i tried to keep it close to me. Wasnīt that difficult because she goes fast or slow very well.
Unlimited vertical, i never had that before and it feels just great.
She has normal aileron and elevator control, and i have to reduce elevator movement, it was quite a lot too much.

Sorry no pics now, but iīll post them later when i have added the last parts and finished it.

Greetings
Detlef
Detlef is offline Find More Posts by Detlef
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:21 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Good news Detlef- I think this is one of the best parkjet designs out there-Apart from the fact it looks so cool as it captures the complex curves of the fuselage really well, it also flies so well. I reckon Hans was inspired when he designed/built this one as it is soooo diferent from the usual parkjet design builds. Way to go Hans!!
Any chance of some pics once you have finished?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
Germany, Ladbergen
Joined Dec 2006
253 Posts
hi electriceye, yep, pics as soon as possible...although it will take some more days to finish it. I modified Hans-Joachimīs F16 quite a lot, i used a lot of hot-wire-cut parts for the upper and lower fuselage, so thereīs a lot of foam to spackle to make it look nice. Exhaust-cone and the front part of the inlet is missing too, but i hope to get that ready this week.

Iīm building rc-planes since 30 years or so...and still shaking knees on every maiden flight. but in this case it really was very easy, no bad habits at all. I launched with throttle around 2/3 open and there was no tendency of torque-rolling.

have to decide for a colour-scheme yet...

Greetings
Detlef
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
I am going to post some pics of my 85% build soon-Like you I modify Hans basic design slightly- I use a couple of formers for the top and under fuselage to help keep the shape, but cut out parts of the profile (which obviously can't be seen once the skins are fitted to the fuselage) to make up for the small increase in weight, so they should make no difference in the end. I also make the under fuselage including the intake in 3 sections and use the intake design idea from Rane's F-16xl design for the intake as it is a bit more scale, I think.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
Germany, Ladbergen
Joined Dec 2006
253 Posts
electriceye, seems we īre going the same way in building it. I did 3 segments on the underside too, hotwirecut from blue foam to make it a bit tougher for landings. Just have to add the inlet part, the outer shape is ready and i was just working on hollowing it out. a lot of work and dust in my workshop, but it looks much more scale when itīs ready i guess.

I was a bit concerned about the weight on my F16, itīs around 30 oz now
(i have the "almost" 100%-version, indeed itīs span is 75 cm = 29,5 inch) without finish and without some foam parts. But after the maiden today iīm no longer worried about the weight. it felt flying safe right from the beginning.

I used Jīs method for battery access from the underside. The battery is held with a velcro-strap. Itīs a bit difficult on the field to change battery, but it works and makes it much more easy to get a neat canopy/fuselage connection. Canopy isnīt glues on now, since iīm still searching for a pilot of the right size.

Perhaps, if i have some energy left after the finish, iīll make wingtanks for her. She has missile rails already (hold by magnets), but i think wingtanks would look even more realistic.

Detlef
Old Nov 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,077 Posts
Congratulation to the maiden flight, Detlef!!!
Hey, the weather really wasnīt so nice yesterday!
Isnīt it cool and breath-taking to go unlimit vertical?

Andy, that must be so sad to see the Block 25īs blowing away!!
Iīm shure, one Block-25, F-16 can stay in Fort Wayne for display,
when someone has the nu!s to write her off, the next 730 days.

Adrian, have you got a chance to get a better camera for uploading pictures? I canīt wait to see some pictures!!

Hi Carl, my friend, it looks like I have to send you DEPRON and UHU POR glue!

Your Sopwith Camel with 4 stroke engine will be sweet!!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Last edited by Hans-Joachim; Nov 20, 2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:04 PM
Germany, Ladbergen
Joined Dec 2006
253 Posts
Thanks Hans-Joachim,
yes it was rather cold and windy yesterday, but i just wanted to know how she flies. And i was quite surprised how well it did! But i should have known she flies well since sheīs built from your plan. Donīt know how many years i still need to loos this shaking-knees-feeling before maidens.

Itīs my first plane that goes vertical unlimited, and what is more important, it really keeps the speed up doing that. My F14 with sweep-wings went almost vertical but was so slow after a while that the controls just had not enough airstream over them. But the 16 is really fast enough on vertical to stay fully controllable.

The rolls have been a little bit barrel-like, since i had the aileron differential the wrong way, means more way down than up. Iīll change that for the next flight and think it will be more axial then.

I added the exhaust cone today and shaped the front part of the inlet. Iīm urgently looking for a pilot of the right size because i canīt glue on the canopy before the fellow has taken his seat.

I hope to post some pics soon,

Detlef
Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:17 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,077 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=20

If you want, I can place your face under this helmet!

Hans-Joachim
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Nov 20, 2007, 02:27 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,071 Posts
Congrats Detlef. It only gets better from here.
I know exactly what you mean about the shakes. I think that is more common than not. I do the same thing after how many?..... many a couple of hundred maidens?
Good luck, can't wait to see pics.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:59 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
85% F-16 build

In case anyone is interested here are some build pics of my 85% build- It is exactly the same as Hans' except for a few more fuselage formers, foam removed from profile to help keep weight down. Plus the intake area is a bit more worked for scale and I have used balsa for wing leading edge and strake from wing to fuselage. Will post some more pics when nearly completed. Sorry about the picture quality-mobile phone pics!!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:05 AM
Germany, Ladbergen
Joined Dec 2006
253 Posts
looks very good electriceye, especially the last one, i like it! Inlet looks almost like the real thing from that angle.
Greetings
Detlef
Old Nov 22, 2007, 03:43 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Thanks-As Hans's drawing is taken straight from a 3 view (that is correct Hans?), the profile should be pretty darn close, but it is in details like the intake where you can try to go for scale or 'stand off' scale. I am going for as close to scale as possible whilst keeping wieght down. Just very sparing spackling and general finishing left to do.--I'll post some more pics when I have made more progress.

At 85% w/s is 25 .25" (not including missile rails) length from exhaust to nose about 38". I thought this was a comfortable size, not big like the 100% or 141% but not small as the 65%, and weight wise it should suit a Grayson Hobbies Parkjet 2212 motor perfectly. I just can't get over a 5" prop being suitable for this size build/motor but that's what they say? I guess I have some learning to do!
Last edited by electriceye; Nov 22, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
That's looking really nice on the 85% build Adrian. Is it already completed? Wow I bet that'll be really fast with the 5x5 on 3S, Dr. Kiwi said something like almost 20 oz. of power with 90+ mph pitch speed right? Yikes! Can't wait to hear how it does.

Well, this weekend I had the chance to try and finish up my big F-16. I just tried to add some panel lines and decals. It's a little too easy to add too much paint to the panel lines, but maybe next time I can go a little lighter... Can't wait to fly it again, I'm going to try to bring home my r/c gear in a month or so to try and fly it again. During previous flights, the tail wanted to pitch up and the plane wanted to climb like crazy, so maybe I'll try balancing a little more forward on the next few flights. Hope I don't nose it in on the next try.

By the way, just so I know, how much should I move the CG forward next time? It's not uncontrollably tail heavy, but it does want to climb a whole lot with throttle and if I'm not mistaken it seems to be CG related. Maybe like 1/4" or 1/2" at a time? Thanks.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955